How Jerry Reese is Failing Eli Manning

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score
http://nypost.com/2014/11/17/giants-rewind-how-jerry-reese-is-failing-eli-manning/

ou want to get on Eli Manning after his horrendous five-interception meltdown in the incredibly preventable 16-10 loss to the 49ers? Feel free. He was truly bad. He may have even had the “happy feet all game’’ that rookie linebacker Chris Borland observed. The question is this: Given what Eli sensed was taking place when he nervously glanced over to his right side, can you blame him?

Here’s another prize delivered to the Giants this holiday season from general manager Jerry Reese: Charles Brown, now playing right tackle. Or, more accurately, not playing right tackle.

This is the depth Reese provided for his $100 million franchise quarterback. Yeah, we know, Brown started 14 games last season at left tackle for the Saints, and he’d made 22 starts in his 37 NFL games. He’s 6-foot-5 and 300 pounds, only 27 years old, originally a second-round pick out of USC. Problem is, he can’t play. The Saints had no interest in re-signing him. The Giants got him on the cheap – one year, $730,000 – as insurance for Will Beatty at left tackle.

In the summer, as Beatty healed from a broken leg, Brown had to start in the preseason at left tackle, which is why the Giants couldn’t wait to get Beatty back on the field. At least Brown is better at left tackle than he is at right tackle. Brown was inactive in seven of the first nine games – that’s what the Giants thought of him. When Justin Pugh had to leave early with a strained quad, Brown had to fill in because the actual backup at right tackle, James Brewer, is so bad he cannot even get a uniform on game day. Brewer, another Reese beauty, was a fourth-round pick in 2011 and has stuck on the roster because he’s a draft pick. Heaven knows he’s not around because of anything he’s done on the field. He should have been gone years ago......

Actually, why don't I bold the hold friggen article? It's glorious. People are riling on Eli Manning, saying he's washed up and done but maybe we have an issue with Jerry Reese...this guy is like destroying Eli's ending years.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
He drafted Pugh, jpp, Beckham. Beatty is ok but probably not worth the contract, and they signed Schwartz who would have made the o line 5x better but he hurt his toe preseason and hasn't played.

Obviously he deserves some blame, but the hate has been kind of excessive.

PS. Eli does deserve blame for Sunday's loss. He said on Francesa yesterday the red zone pick was his audible. It was supposed to be a run play, and he audibled a fade pass to odell.

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score
People get injured, they need to do a better job at getting depth players too. The O-line is pathetic, injured or not. Players need to step up.

Not sure what's going on, but when players go down, I expect a worse but manageable offensive line. Shit, those trenches are important.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I feel like that's one of the toughest poisons to get depth at.

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score

GMF1991 said:
I feel like that's one of the toughest poisons to get depth at.

Could be , but I wouldn't let that excuse go by Reese. 

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
I would feel bad for the Giants and their fans, but two recent Super Bowls is something they can still hang their hats on, and should. Not to mention that they beat New England in both of them, thank God. 

Anyway, most NFL teams go through something of a pendulum swing in terms of success. Only the Patriots and Packers seem able to avoid the swing, and that's because they are expertly managed and have the two best QBs in the game.

Eli is barely a top 10 QB. Reese is not incapable of making mistakes. Most of all, the Giants seem incapable of not suffering massive amounts of injures in each of these past 3 seasons.

The pendulum is starting to swing back. The Giants have done great in FA and their drafts have been fairly successful as well. They're on the right track. I urge Giants fans to remain patient, and to just be thankful that their team has won two of the best Super Bowls of the past 10 years. 

It'll take time. Relax. 

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Fuhgeddaboudit said:

Could be , but I wouldn't let that excuse go by Reese. 
They used to have a terrific line. They got old. Happens. Takes time to rebuild it.

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score

GMF1991 said:
They used to have a terrific line. They got old. Happens. Takes time to rebuild it.

My point is that people are blaming Eli..but most of the time he's on the run and being pressured. So why do people blame Eli? This guy could get sacked for massive yard damage or throw an incomplete or throw an Interception and people will still hate him for his failures. 

But he's not the one failing, the offensive line is failing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%