HBO is reportedly going after Bill Simmons

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
HBO is making a serious run at Bill Simmons, according to the Hollywood Reporter's Lacey Rose.
There's been plenty of speculation about where Bill Simmons will land after his much publicized split with ESPN in May. Rose reports that Simmons has several suitors, but notes that having his own TV show is appealing to Simmons.

From the Hollywood Reporter:

Considerably more likely is Simmons, whom the network is said to have made a big play for after his unceremonious booting from the more corporate ESPN. Such a move would be straight out of the HBO playbook, which famously provided a creative reprieve for former ABC flameout Bill Maher many years earlier. Though Simmons is said to have several suitors, insiders say conversations at HBO have focused on a TV show something Simmons is believed to want along with heavy digital extensions that make the prolific personality tailor-made for the HBO Now era.

Though many believe Simmons' site, Grantland, didn't make enough money to justify his $5 million salary, he was the owner of the most popular podcast in sports and one of the original producers of the popular "30 for 30" documentary series.

HBO has found success in documentaries and docuseries in recent years, as Rose notes, and has become the home for talk shows for John Oliver and Bill Maher. Simmons dabbled in TV with ESPN and this past year introduced "The Grantland Basketball Hour," which struggled to draw viewers.

Earlier in June, Gawker reported a rumor that Simmons was looking to start an online subscription network with Jon Stewart, who Rose reports is also being sought after by HBO.

Though it's unclear how Simmons would incorporate writing into any of these ventures, he's had some success on other media platforms, and it seems his next destination will involve TV .

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
go to fox sports and really stick to espn

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
He may be a huge homer but he did an excellent job on 30 for 30. His podcast was funny to listen to as well. I think this is a good move for both parties.

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
a new podcast I would listen to. not gonna bother about a tv show

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He needs another podcast something terrible

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Uncencored Simmons would be gold.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What happened between him and ESPN?

Oiler35

Reaction score
dez said:
What happened between him and ESPN?
It became a tire-fire. ESPN wasn't happy that he was consistently taking shots at Goodell and their employees. Simmons continued to do both. When it came time to negotiate a contract, Bill wanted more freedom, and ESPN declined.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Letting Bill Simmons to walk is a testament to how poorly ESPN is portraying themselves these days. Most of their analysts are intolerable blowhards, and while Simmons was a homer, he was a sarcastic homer and you could tell he was at least somewhat kidding. The dude is hilarious and made ESPN's playoff coverage tolerable back when they forced Magic Johnson's dumb ass on us.

I hope he goes to another National network.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This gonna be a Celtics pre-game show? 

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Does FS1 ever become that relevant though? I honestly prefer them to ESPN because it's far less agenda driven but I don't think they'll ever be a serious competitor

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
Yeah, but most of us have FS1 and will get to hear him. 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Does FS1 ever become that relevant though? I honestly prefer them to ESPN because it's far less agenda driven but I don't think they'll ever be a serious competitor
gotta give them time. it's a basic cable channel too. going there would definitely do more damage than hbo

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:
Yeah, but most of us have FS1 and will get to hear him. 

Having FS1 and actually tuning in to watch FS1 are two different things entirely. 

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
This is true. I generally forget about it until NHL playoffs. I really don't watch sports shows anymore. I probably listen to more sports radio in the tractor than actually watching SportsCenter or any of that shit.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
listening to sports talk is definitely a lot better. get more fan prospective too. usually a bit let bias too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%