Gruden Noncommittal to RG3 as Starter

TTN2810

Reaction score
via Rotoworld

Coach Jay Gruden was noncommittal Monday when asked if Robert Griffin III (dislocated ankle) would get his starting job back when healthy.

Reports Monday morning surfaced in D.C. stating that Gruden believed Kirk Cousins was a better fit for his offense than RG3. Gruden's refusal to anoint Griffin his starter when healthy adds fuel to that fire. "We'll cross that bridge when it comes," Gruden said. If Cousins plays well in the Andy Dalton role during RG3's 6-8 week absence, it's possible he'll remain the late-season starter. Griffin could then be placed on the offseason trade block.

TTN2810

Reaction score
This is what I've been saying this since pre-season. RG3 will be better suited in a different system anyways; the Gruden hire always baffled me. Not that I think Griffin has it upstairs to be a great QB anyhow. I think he's a less explosive Mike Vick.

I really hope saying that doesn't bite me in the ass in a couple years.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There is a 0% chance Griffin is traded.  The idea won't even be entertained.

This is really a non-story.  Gruden's not going to kill the guys confidence by saying this is RG3s job regardless after not playing at all for 8 weeks.

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
Cousins is the best QB in the history of football so I don't blame Gruden.  I'd trade Stafford for RGMe and Cousins and coach Griffin to play nickel back.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
When they drafted Cousins, it didn't seem like they were doing that just to have a solid backup. I took that as they weren't entirely confident that RGIII would be able to last throughout the season, and he has shown he can't, with the way he plays. They just wanted to bait Gruden with that question. Cousins is one of the more capable backups, that could start for other teams. It helps a starter when the coach has their confidence in them to lead the team, and that's presumably why Gruden said that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%