Greg Jennings Signs with Minnesota; Vikings Also Add Cassel.

Rice18

I'm emotionally vested in me.
Reaction score
Apparently, you weren't the only one disgusted with Joe Webb's performance in the Vikings' wild-card playoff loss at Green Bay.
It is indeed confirmed that the Vikings have signed quarterback Matt Cassel, the former Chiefs starter and long-ago Tom Brady backup in New England.

Cassel is an eight-year veteran with 62 career starts. He's been the starter in Kansas City the past five years. The year before that, he started 15 games for the Patriots after Brady went down with a knee injury in the season opener.

So he's got the experience that Webb didn't have. And we know he can throw better than Joe since Matt's best season came in 2010 when he passed for 3,116 yards, 27 touchdowns and just seven interceptions.

Now, the question becomes can he truly accept being Christian Ponder's backup. Not just when times are good, but when times are bad and every purple-painted fan is demanding that Cassel becomes the starter. (Note: That's probably already started, by the way).

Both General Manager Rick Spielman and coach Leslie Frazier have made it perfectly clear that Ponder is and will remain the starter now and in the future. Frazier even said at the scouting combine that one of the prerequisites for any potential QB signee would be the full understanding that the starting job is not -- repeat, IS NOT! -- open for competition.

The Vikings definitely improved their backup quarterback situation for when Ponder isn't healthy enough to play. The question now is can they deal with the pressure that will come when Ponder is healthy but ineffective.

This ... could ... get ... really ... interesting.

As for Webb, we'll have to hear from the Vikings before speculating on his future. He would seem to be a prime candidate to be a No. 3 QB. In that role, he could actually put his speed and athleticism on the field in some capacity without fear of him getting hurt.
via http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/198191691.html

Rice18

Reaction score
Fairly happy with this signing. Outside of what sounds like a 4mil a year type of deal, I think he will be a great addition to the team. He will be competing for the starting job, and at the least will make Ponder play to his fullest abilities.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Just hours after being cut by the Kansas City Chiefs, who most consider to be a bust after his hyped up season with New England, QB Matt Cassel has agreed to a contract with the Minnesota Vikings.

Cassel's arrival should create an interesting training camp Atmosphere. There, he will be competing with former 1st round Pick Christian Ponder for the right to run the Viking offense in Week 1. Ponder was selected in the 2011 draft with high expectations, however has only posted a 59.2% completion percentage in 27 games, 26 of which he started. He has thrown 31 TDs, 25 Interceptions, and 4,788 yards, or 177 yards per game with a QB Rating of 77.1. While making solid strides in improving his performance in 2012, Ponder's play on the field did not improve enough, and thus Cassel has been brought in.

Cassel was a Pro Bowl selection in 2010, however since then he's faced injury issues and built up a hatred from fans in Kansas City. In his last two seasons he has played a combined 18 games with 17 starts, thrown 21 interceptions vs 16 touchdowns and completing just 58% of his passes for an outstanding QB rating of 71.6.

Along with that, the recent buzz on Twitter suggests that Packers free agent WR Greg Jennings is also meeting with the Vikings tonight.

Rice18

Reaction score
MINNEAPOLIS - The Minnesota Vikings are interested in wide receiver Greg Jennings, the latest Green Bay Packers free agent pursued by their NFC North rival.

The agent for Jennings, Eugene Parker, told The Associated Press his client was visiting the Vikings on Thursday. ESPN first reported the trip.

The 29-year-old Jennings played in only eight games for the Packers in 2012, plus two in the playoffs, because of a torn lower abdominal muscle and finished with a career-low 366 yards receiving with an average of 10.2 yards per catch, also his worst NFL total. In 2011, he missed three games with a sprained left knee.

But as the Vikings well know, Jennings has been one of the best in the league since he was drafted in the second round in 2006 out of Western Michigan. He has three years of at least 1,100 yards receiving and two 12-touchdown seasons. In 14 career games against the Vikings, Jennings racked up 964 yards and 10 touchdowns. The Packers won 10 times.

The Vikings sure haven't been shy about signing players from their fiercest intra-division competitor.

They brought in safety Darren Sharper in 2005, kicker Ryan Longwell in 2006 and wide receiver Robert Ferguson in 2007. They've tried to woo others in recent years, too: fullback William Henderson, defensive end Aaron Kampman and wide receiver James Jones.
Then, of course, there was Brett Favre, whose embittered departure from the Packers in 2008 paved the way for him joining the Vikings in 2009 and nearly taking them to the Super Bowl.

More important to the Vikings than nabbing a popular, productive player from the Packers, though, is upgrading their perilously thin group of wide receivers. After trading Percy Harvin, cutting Michael Jenkins and letting Devin Aromashodu become a free agent, the Vikings currently have only three players at the position with any NFL experience: Jerome Simpson, Jarius Wright and Stephen Burton. Wright has played in seven career games. Burton has seven career catches.

Vikings general manager Rick Spielman has repeatedly stated the organization's preference to focus on drafting and developing players rather than relying on free agency to fill gaps on the roster, but they'll likely need to add at least one veteran to the group even if they draft a handful of them.

Quarterback Christian Ponder said in an interview this week he doesn't think it's paramount to add more experience but acknowledged he wouldn't mind throwing to a polished, versatile wide receiver like Jennings.

"He's as great player. He's been doing great things in Green Bay, and he'd bring leadership to that position," Ponder said. "Kind of a dynamic guy you can put in the slot and outside. I've always admired his work in Green Bay, and he seems like a great guy to have on a team."

Plenty of money has been flying around the NFL the last few days for wide receivers, beginning with Mike Wallace's big contract with Miami. Wes Welker went to Denver, and Danny Amendola replaced him in New England. Donnie Avery signed with Kansas City. By waiting during the initial wave, the Vikings ought to get a lower price for Jennings if he's willing to come to a team with a still-developing quarterback in Ponder.
via http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/nfl/197989241.html

Rice18

Reaction score
If we don't manage to end up signing him, I will be pretty pissed. We have only a couple healthy recievers under contract right now. Hopefully he does the right thing and joins us.

Rice18

Reaction score
I just posted both :p

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
thats what I get for typing it up myself.

copy and paste, gmf. copy and paste...

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jennings is going to be mediocre away from Green Bay

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Because Aaron Rodgers is the GOAT

Rice18

Reaction score
Because Aaron Rodgers is the GOAT
Jerry Rice leaves Montana, and will be mediocore? Not comparing the two, but saying one wideout leaving an elite quarterback will suck just because he is downgrading at quarterback isn't a good reason. Rodgers does make wide receivers look good don't get me wrong, but I doubt Jennings was a very good reciever just due to the man throwing him the ball.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
That's an awful example because Jerry is the GOAT and Jennings isn't Top 25 all time

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And you can't really compare going from Montana to Steve Young to going from Rodgers to Ponder either.

Rice18

Reaction score
My whole point is that saying Greg Jennings will suck just purely due to him downgrading at QB is not a good point whatsoever. My point with Rice is saying that he could have had a terrible quarterback and still look great. Jennings is a very good wideout, and not having Rodgers may hurt him but it sure as hell wont make him mediocore.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Jennings signs with Minnesota: 5 years, $47.5M with $18M guaranteed.

Rice18

Reaction score
And boom goes the dynamite.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Rodgers makes any WR look good, I think Jennings was good, but I believe he will definitely regress with having Ponder now. The Packers will not miss him, but a good replacement for the Vikings definitely.

Rice18

Reaction score
Also, just to add something.

We basically got Jennings, a first, 3rd and 7th for Harvin. Jennings is a cheaper option too. Not bad if you ask me..

Boda

PSN = HitmanCapone
Reaction score
I like this signing atleast right now and for the next couple years, time will depend after that.

As for earlier in the conversation when someone said it would be like Rice going from Montana to Young, I think a more fitting compairision would be Rice going from Young to Garcia. Rice's production went from a consistant 1000+ yards receiving every year he played more than 6 games before the 2003 season. to having 2 seasons sub 1000 and finish just above the 800 yd mark. Now sure there is different circumstances and I actually think if Jennings stays healthy he will go over the 1K mark in Minnesota as well. I believe that Jennings will give Ponder a realiable target that he can have some confidence in like he had in Percy and Ponder's play was completely different after Percy went down. I don't want to talk up Ponder because I feel he needs to still take a big step but Im in big favor of this move.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Greg Jennings' determination will carry the Vikings to the promise land.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%