Grading The Timberwolves Off-Season Acquisitions

Wolves United

Reaction score
Grading the Timberwolves Off-Season Acquisitions

Published On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 By Taylor Jones. Under: Uncategorized. Tags: Corey Brewer, Flip Saunder, Kevin Garnett, Kevin Martin, minnesota timberwolves, Shooting guard, Twolves, Wolves Edit Post

The Minnesota Timberwolves have had a busy offseason, acquiring some much needed talent. The Twolves addressed their biggest need at shooting guard with Kevin Martin, added some much needed defense with Corey Brewer and drafted two promising prospects. The Wolves have had a great first off-season under incumbent General Manager Flip Saunders. Saunders has put together a team that could make some noise this season, and could make a playoff trip for the first time since the departure of Kevin Garnett.

Corey Brewer:

Corey Brewer was drafted seventh overall by the Minnesota Timberwolves, and after being jettisoned by former General Manager David Kahn, Brewer signed a three year contract to reunite with his former team. Brewer was drafted due to his defense, and is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. Brewers defense is much needed, as the Timberwolves were one of the worst defensive teams in the league. Although it comes at the cost of Andrei Kirilenko, Brewer was the cheapest and best available option on the market. Although Brewer has not progressed offensively as much as was originally hoped, Brewer averaged 12 points a game as a role player with the Denver Nuggets. Corey Brewer is an underrated athlete and can get to the rim at ease, making him and exciting player and fan favorite wherever he goes.
Grade: B+

Kevin Martin:

The Wolves signed Kevin Martin to a four year deal worth nearly 30 million dollars. Although this is a hefty price to pay for a 30 year old who is a liability on defense, Martin brings the scoring punch that the Timberwolves have longed for. In a reserve role with the Thunder, Kevin Martin averaged 14 points a game, but expect much more from K-Mart in Minnesota, as he will likely start. The Timberwolves needed a shooting-guard and a three-point shooter, and they killed two birds with one stone in this acquisition. Martin will be reunited with his former coach in Rick Adelman, with whom he averaged over 20 points a game. This grade is even higher due to the aforementioned Corey Brewer signing, which should help override Martins poor defense.

Grade: A-

Taylor Jones
(Kings Of The NBA Journalist)
Twitter: @Sports_Jones

Boda

PSN = HitmanCapone
Reaction score
Wolves United said:
Grading the Timberwolves Off-Season Acquisitions

Published On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 By Taylor Jones. Under: Uncategorized. Tags: Corey Brewer, Flip Saunder, Kevin Garnett, Kevin Martin, minnesota timberwolves, Shooting guard, Twolves, Wolves Edit Post

The Minnesota Timberwolves have had a busy offseason, acquiring some much needed talent. The Twolves addressed their biggest need at shooting guard with Kevin Martin, added some much needed defense with Corey Brewer and drafted two promising prospects. The Wolves have had a great first off-season under incumbent General Manager Flip Saunders. Saunders has put together a team that could make some noise this season, and could make a playoff trip for the first time since the departure of Kevin Garnett.

Corey Brewer:

Corey Brewer was drafted seventh overall by the Minnesota Timberwolves, and after being jettisoned by former General Manager David Kahn, Brewer signed a three year contract to reunite with his former team. Brewer was drafted due to his defense, and is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. Brewers defense is much needed, as the Timberwolves were one of the worst defensive teams in the league. Although it comes at the cost of Andrei Kirilenko, Brewer was the cheapest and best available option on the market. Although Brewer has not progressed offensively as much as was originally hoped, Brewer averaged 12 points a game as a role player with the Denver Nuggets. Corey Brewer is an underrated athlete and can get to the rim at ease, making him and exciting player and fan favorite wherever he goes.
Grade: B+

Kevin Martin:

The Wolves signed Kevin Martin to a four year deal worth nearly 30 million dollars. Although this is a hefty price to pay for a 30 year old who is a liability on defense, Martin brings the scoring punch that the Timberwolves have longed for. In a reserve role with the Thunder, Kevin Martin averaged 14 points a game, but expect much more from K-Mart in Minnesota, as he will likely start. The Timberwolves needed a shooting-guard and a three-point shooter, and they killed two birds with one stone in this acquisition. Martin will be reunited with his former coach in Rick Adelman, with whom he averaged over 20 points a game. This grade is even higher due to the aforementioned Corey Brewer signing, which should help override Martins poor defense.

Grade: A-

Taylor Jones
(Kings Of The NBA Journalist)
Twitter: @Sports_Jones
Eh.  I give the Wolves a B or B+ at most. 

Now don't get me wrong as I love what the Wolves did but it wasn't hard to improve the roster as we had no SG.  The draft was pretty shitty IMO.  Muhammad I think is bouncing around the league in 3 maybe 4 years(hope I'm wrong) but he most likely won't get much playing time on our team.  He will be behind D-Williams, Chase Budinger, Corey Brewer & Kevin Martin.    We did over pay for Brewer though I'm not as mad about that as a lot of fans but still can't deny the overpay.

We gave away the 26th pick for a future 2nd rounder & cash when there were players that could have played a very specific role on our team and I strongly believe that we should have traded down further from #14 and ending up taking Hardaway Jr with Dieng.  Although everyone is entitled to their opinion, now of coarse I wouldn't have minded trading up either but it seemed the asking price was way too much.  We are a much more complete team but no way should our off season grade be any higher than a B+

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I like the Brewer signing the most actually. Really helps them where they need it the most, perimeter D. 

Boda

PSN = HitmanCapone
Reaction score
TheKMan said:
I like the Brewer signing the most actually. Really helps them where they need it the most, perimeter D. 
Don't get me wrong I loved the C.Brewer acquisition but it was still an overpay, although like I said I don't mind it as it was needed.  He was also a player I wanted the Wolves to target before the season even ended.  I believe lots of Wolves fans gave him undue hate because we were lead to believe he was supposed to be this superstar type of player, but for those of us who actually pay attention to college basketball knew better,  He was a role player forced to be the Wolves #2 scorer and that just wasn't his game. 

Anyways very happy to see him back wearing a Wolves uniform.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Brewer should help them on the perimeter defensively, which I would say they need.

Martin will help them offensively, which they also really need. They were the worst 3pt shooting team last season.

They also have a lot of depth on the wing now. Brewer, Martin, Budinger, Bazz, Shved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%