Gonzalez passes Sharpe for most TD receptions by a tight end

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From ESPN.com
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Tony Gonzalez, who admits he "hated football" when he first played as a youngster, has now caught more touchdown passes than any tight end in NFL history.

The eight-time Pro Bowler of the Kansas City Chiefs caught a 3-yard pass from Damon Huard in the first quarter against Cincinnati on Sunday, breaking the record of 62 touchdown receptions set by Shannon Sharpe from 1990-03.

The sellout crowd in Arrowhead Stadium gave him a standing ovation when his feat was announced a few minutes later.

"Breaking the record for touchdown catches is not anything I ever thought I would do," Gonzalez, a two-way football and basketball star at California, has said. "When I first came into the league, all I wanted to do was be the best player I could be."

A first-round pick of the Chiefs in 1997, the 31-year-old Gonzalez came into the game ranked second in NFL history for tight ends with 750 receptions and 9,048 yards receiving.

While scheming to stop Gonzalez from getting the record against his team last week, Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio two weeks ago paid tribute to his capacity for hard work.

"You're talking about a future Hall of Fame guy," said Del Rio. "You have to have both physical toughness and mental toughness to sustain greatness."
Another record for the greatest tight end to ever play in the NFL.

kdogg

The original #SpartanDawg
Reaction score
Not much of a deal but congrats to him

Whisper

Living like a Don in my own mind
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
greatest tight end to ever play in the NFL.
Since when did Antonio Gates change his name to Tony Gonzalez?

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
A great accomplishment for the gretest TE ever. Antonio gates hads been good but i know you guys are not gonna give him goat TE status after what 2 or 3 good seasons

VC3

Charmander CHAR CHAR!
Reaction score
Gates and Gonzalez are totally different TE's. Gates is better IMO. He is a playmaker and has excellent hands. Tony is more of "real" TE. Gates is somewhat like a WR and has tremendous talent. Like I said, who cares Tony passed the record. It won't last for very long, even though I hate both of them lol.

Whisper

Living like a Don in my own mind
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah I remember hearing that for the past two games, the commentator's kept saying how Gates should have his own position because he's not the traditional TE. Which he should, because he lines up everywhere on the field, the TE position, an I-Formation FB, at WR, he can probably do some RB screens too lol

and yea, who cares if Tony passes the record, not only is he a Chief, Gates is already en route to demolishing it in the next couple of years. It helps that the Bolts WR core has been relatively weak, so Gates is the scapegoat if the ball can't get into LT's hands. :D

VC3

Charmander CHAR CHAR!
Reaction score
Yeah I remember hearing that for the past two games, the commentator's kept saying how Gates should have his own position because he's not the traditional TE. Which he should, because he lines up everywhere on the field, the TE position, an I-Formation FB, at WR, he can probably do some RB screens too lol

and yea, who cares if Tony passes the record, not only is he a Chief, Gates is already en route to demolishing it in the next couple of years. It helps that the Bolts WR core has been relatively weak, so Gates is the scapegoat if the ball can't get into LT's hands. :D
Ya I remember those damn commentators. The ENTIRE game they raved about LT and Gates. I don't even remember once about them raving about someone on the Raiders and we do have good players....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%