Freeh Report and Future of Penn State

adamu

Reaction score
the actions of Joe Paterno, as well as the head figures in the Penn State hierarchy have come to light, what was once just heresay and speculation is fact. As someones who's harbored admiration for what Paterno accomplished with his football program and school I cant help but feel cheated, mislead, and shamed for ever having felt that. This goes beyond football and a school, and my opinion of Paterno is now despicable to say the least.

I feel like the thing most people are overlooking(not saying anyone in this thread or forum but in general) is the fact that paterno was an enabler in this whole situation. This WAS about football and the death penalty NEEDS to be handed down, give the students an extra year of eligibility and allow transfer. REMOVE paterno's statue asap, the only thing it will ever do from this point on is remind everyone of the heinous and callous disregard for the safety and well being of the victims, almost like spitting in the face of them.

what are your guys opinions and thoughts.

Mooche

Reaction score
The statue must be taken down at this point. I understand the tradition and pride that he led for the Nittany Lions, but this issue goes further than the gridiron completely.

People are basically going to be tortured by the actions that took place for the rest of their lives. A visual reminder is not the answer.

adamu

Reaction score
Because this is just one chapter in a 62 year career at Penn State.
a chapter that spans 14 years of him enabling the sexual abuse and exploitation of children by a predator. No amount of years in service to the school will ever atone for that.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
a chapter that spans 14 years of him enabling the sexual abuse and exploitation of children by a predator. No amount of years in service to the school will ever atone for that.
Don't blame him that the people who he had to report this too didn't do anything about it. Could he have done more? Sure, but so could have a lot of people. Lets not make the guy out to be some monster or pathetic excuse for a human.

Rice18

I'm emotionally vested in me.
Reaction score
Because this is just one chapter in a 62 year career at Penn State.
I want to agree, but you just can't as Penn State.

I understand the tradition and pride that he led for the Nittany Lions, but this issue goes further than the gridiron completely.

People are basically going to be tortured by the actions that took place for the rest of their lives. A visual reminder is not the answer.
I think Mooche said it best. I hope now they will just let the man rest in peace.

adamu

Reaction score
Don't blame him that the people who he had to report this too didn't do anything about it. Could he have done more? Sure, but so could have a lot of people. Lets not make the guy out to be some monster or pathetic excuse for a human.
ill say this, the greatest mistake good men can make is to sit idly by.

and you realize he allowed sandusky to use the facilities etc even when he was no longer a coach.

Mooche

Reaction score
I think a lot of people are just missing the point here.. The victims. Don't worry about Paterno and what he did on the football field, which was a hell of a lot, but there has to be at least baby steps to a form of closure. Removing the statue is the complete right start. That is just a minimal thing, but it at least shows the care from the Penn State University that is well deserved by these people who suffered in such shocking fashion.

Mooche

Reaction score
Apparently it's staying.. Just a rumor from a few sources on Twitter, but it looks like a trustee said:

"You can't let people stampede you into making a rash decision," a trustee said. "The statue represents the good that Joe did. It doesn't represent the bad that he did."

TTN2810

Reaction score
lol

I agree with Mooche though. Should be taken down.

adamu

Reaction score
Apparently it's staying.. Just a rumor from a few sources on Twitter, but it looks like a trustee said:
well hopefully they at least do some changes to the wording.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
No one is putting all the blame on him, but everyone who didn't report it to the police and cover it up is equally as monstrous as Sandusky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%