Favre ask for release from Packers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From espn.com
HATTIESBURG, Miss -- Three days after a conference call with Green Bay Packers team officials on Tuesday in which quarterback Brett Favre emphatically expressed his desire to play in 2008, Favre on Friday formally asked for his contractual release from the Packers in a letter, sources close to Favre and the team said.

The letter was sent by Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, via overnight mail on Thursday and arrived at the Packers facility Friday morning.

Cook, on behalf of Favre, expressed a desire to have an amicable parting, as the Packers have been reluctant to embrace his return. Favre announced his retirement in early March.

During a conference call on Tuesday that included Packers general manager Ted Thompson, Packers coach Mike McCarthy, Favre and Cook, sources say that the quarterback stated emphatically that he wanted to play again.

When Favre was reminded by the Packers' brass that it was in March when the quarterback said publicly and privately that he wasn't 100 percent committed to football, sources said Favre acknowledged his state of mind at the time, but added that he never felt he was a 100 percent committed in March of previous years, either. Favre felt he had to make a decision to retire because the Packers were pressing him for an answer, a source said.

During the same conference call on Tuesday, neither Thompson nor McCarthy were openly receptive or enthused about Favre's desire to un-retire, the sources said, prompting Favre to direct Cook to request his release from the Packers. Favre has three years remaining on his contract for a total of $39 million. He currently is on the reserve-retired list.

Favre wants a mutual parting rather than having to force the Packers' hand by writing a letter to request his reinstatement to the active 80-man roster. Under league policy, the team would have to comply or release him.

Cook's letter did suggest that Favre's accomplishments for the franchise merited the team honoring his request to be released, also asking that the action be taken "with no strings attached." Favre does not want to be traded, sources said, because he wants the freedom of choice to play for any other franchise.

Favre has been in communication with McCarthy during the past month about his desire to play but until this week had not spoken with Thompson.

Neither Thompson nor McCarthy were available for comment on Friday.

Favre did not wish to speak publicly about his situation when approached while working out Friday morning at a local high school in Hattiesburg. He appeared to be in excellent physical condition and threw the ball with ease, even throwing a football 50 yards "on a rope" with high school receivers. He has been throwing and running with the team for more than a month.

Favre was relaxed and in a positive frame of mind, joking and telling stories about himself, former teammates and coaches. He planned to continue working out next week.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What do you think about him going to back to Atlanta?

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
I think he's gonna go to Ravens. Atlanta's QB is Matt Ryan. If he wasn't, they wouldn't of drafted him so high.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think he's gonna go to Ravens. Atlanta's QB is Matt Ryan. If he wasn't, they wouldn't of drafted him so high.
Lmao, Favre isnt going to be there for more than 1 year most likely. Ryan needs a year to sit back and learn the game and Favre is the best guy to teach him. You must not watch much football if you think they drafted a quarterback that high because they wanted him to start day 1.

AirForceFlash_3

MLB Co-Comish/FSU Class of 2014!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Why would Favre go to the Ravens or Falcons when both would suck either way? He wants to win it all before he leaves, not just sit around and play.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Why would Favre go to the Ravens or Falcons when both would suck either way? He wants to win it all before he leaves, not just sit around and play.
All of the teams that have a shot to win it all, have a QB already...

retry_1

Reaction score
wonder how he feels about holding clipboards and wearing a blue horseshoe. jim sorgi sucks anyway.

[/colts homer]

retry_1

Reaction score
that would be huge. but i don't see it hapening unless he approaches the team.
what i see as more likely is a team with serious QB issues like the panthers, or a young qb who needs a mentor and to develop like the falcons, dolphins, ravens, or maybe even the raiders.

AirForceFlash_3

MLB Co-Comish/FSU Class of 2014!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
All the teams that can win now have a QB? Vikings like Maple said need a QB, Redskins could maybe use one, Jets, Texans, and a bunch of others could use him and they all have a chance to win now.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Vikings, Lions, and Bears all need his services lol.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You actually think those teams with Favre are a legetimate contender like GB was? Vikings are the best team out of the bunch and thats not saying much...

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It is when you have one of the NFL's greatest QB of all time. HUGE upgrade over Kitna, Jackson, and Grossman.

Imagine Favre passing to Johnson and Williams. That's a hell of a pass attack, if our line can hold it's ground.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think he'll eventually go to Bucs though

yezzir

Call me Slim Roethlisberger.
Reaction score
Lol, if he comes to the Jets, I'd be soooo happy. :lol:

This is really stupid though, I mean what the hell does he think he's doing by coming back one more year in a DIFFERENT uniform. I think it's stupid (unless he goes to the Jets :smile:)

vikesfan

Reaction score
Vikings are the best team out of the bunch and thats not saying much...
I suppose you think your steelers are better? :D Don't be bad talking my team, IMO I think they are a legitimite contender. They have arguably the best runningback, offensive line, and defensive ends in the league.

FYI, I don't want him on my team. I've hated playing against him for the last decade and would just feel weird seeing him in purple.

VC15

Reaction score
The Vikings probably will be playoff bound this year, but adding Favre would make them a real contender to win the NFC. But I can't vision Favre playing in anything other than a Packer jersey.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I suppose you think your steelers are better? :D Don't be bad talking my team, IMO I think they are a legitimite contender. They have arguably the best runningback, offensive line, and defensive ends in the league.

FYI, I don't want him on my team. I've hated playing against him for the last decade and would just feel weird seeing him in purple.
Well the Steelers are better and I never bad talked your team, I just said that your the best out of that bunch and thats not saying much considering the other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%