Facebook Post Costs Eagles Worker Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From ESPN.com
A Facebook post criticizing his employer, the Philadelphia Eagles, cost a stadium operations worker his job, according to a story in Monday's Philadelphia Inquirer.

Dan Leone, who the Inquirer said worked as a west gate chief, was unhappy the team let Brian Dawkins sign with the Denver Broncos in free agency. According to the newspaper, Leone posted the following on his Facebook page: "Dan is [expletive] devastated about Dawkins signing with Denver ... Dam Eagles R Retarted!!"

Despite deleting the comment, Leone told the Inquirer the Eagles fired him by phone days later.

"I shouldn't have put it up there," Leone said, according to the Inquirer. "I was ticked off, and I let my emotions go, but I didn't offend any one person or target a specific individual. I was just upset that we lost such a great guy. Dawkins was one of my favorite players. I made a mistake."

Leone said he was shocked to lose his job of six years.

"I apologized for it," Leone said, according to the paper. "I apologized 20 million times. I never bad-mouthed the organization before. I made one mistake and they terminate me? And they couldn't even bring me into the office to talk to me? They had to do it over the phone? At least look me in the eye. To get done dirty like this, I can't believe it. I'm devastated."

The Eagles confirmed that Leone was a part-time staff member, but didn't comment further.
oh lawd

Lake Louise

Reaction score
It seems to me that this firing was long-in-waiting for them to just let him go over something little like this.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This is one of the many reasons why I don't mess around with facebook, myspace, or any other crap like that. Why document so many personal items, likes, dislikes, and thoughts about yourself?

...and don't give me any garbage about: "My Myspace is private & I just use it as a way talk to my friends." Bull, that's what Instant Messangers are for.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This guy is all over our local news right now, crying the blues, pleading for his job back.

I feel for the guy...he's got a nervous system disorder & will have a hard time finding work in other places. The team won't respond to any media inquiries and the situation is becoming a PR nightmare.

Interestingly enough, a british teen was fired a month ago for referring to her job as "boring" on her myspace page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%