DeRozan Re-Signs in Toronto, $139M/5

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Toronto Raptors shooting guard DeMar DeRozan does not plan to schedule meetings with other teams at the start of free agency, opting to focus on working out a contract to return to the Eastern Conference finalists, a source told ESPN.com.

DeRozan, 26, a two-time All-Star who led the Raptors with 23.5 points per game last season, has been consistent in stating that his strong preference is to remain with the only franchise he has played for during his seven-year NBA career.

"My mindset has always been Toronto," DeRozan told reporters the day after the Raptors were eliminated by the Cleveland Cavaliers. "I've always preached it. I was passionate about it when we were losing, when we were terrible. I said I was going to stick through this whole thing, and I want to be that guy who brings this organization to where it is now. I definitely don't want to switch that up after we win."

DeRozan, arguably the top shooting guard in free agency, would be in high demand if he chose to explore his options beginning July 1. However, the source said that DeRozan would only look into meeting with other teams if talks with Toronto broke down.

The Raptors can offer DeRozan a five-year maximum contract worth $153 million with the salary cap at a projected $94 million. Other teams would be able to offer him a max deal of $114 million over four years.

Toronto's decision-makers have made it clear that re-signing DeRozan, a southern California native whose name was often linked to the Los Angeles Lakers in speculation about this summer, is their top offseason priority.

"Our No. 1 goal is to bring DeMar back here," Raptors general manager Masai Ujiri said at his season-ending news conference. "We feel great that he wants to come back to our organization."

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Gonna be even weirder now when the Lakers sign him

Paulius

Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Why not explore all viable options?
Bc hes loyal and wants to bring a championship to a city that has never experienced it?? Bc he came all the way from the bottom with this team?? Smh this new generation of you kids

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
See what happens to that loyalty if they don't offer him the max 

Senators26

Reaction score
Ya Raptors are definitely dumb enough to offer him a max. I think he himself might take a slight discount if he does decide to stay.

Only question I have is, if he's not meeting with other teams, why hasn't he re-signed with the Raptors yet?

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
#2 SG of all time #24 said:
Bc hes loyal and wants to bring a championship to a city that has never experienced it?? Bc he came all the way from the bottom with this team?? Smh this new generation of you kids
That team will never win a championship

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
#2 SG of all time #24 said:
You're probably one of the younger guys here lol

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Yeah the kid clearly doesn't understand that the main core of us have all been here at SI for 6 years, and many for even much longer

CC's been here for 10 years lol

Paulius

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Yeah the kid clearly doesn't understand that the main core of us have all been here at SI for 6 years, and many for even much longer

CC's been here for 10 years lol
thats quite sad lol. And arent you like 20?

Paulius

Reaction score
Well glad we merged with yall kids. Seems like yall been having a circle jerk for quite sometime. About time we talk some sports

Paulius

Reaction score
Damn this is all you guys got done in 10 years? What a shame :(

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
That team will never win a championship
Yeah that team reached its ceiling already, there's a 0% chance they ever beat the Cavs in the playoffs.

He should bounce.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%