David Stern promises 'substantial sanctions' for Spurs resting their stars

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
I actually love this on Stern's part. Common, every-day people pay big money for tickets and they should be given the best product possible. I don't care if the game was close, anyway, but if I'm a fan who bought tickets to that game, I'm pissed and have every right to be.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I actually love this on Stern's part. Common, every-day people pay big money for tickets and they should be given the best product possible. I don't care if the game was close, anyway, but if I'm a fan who bought tickets to that game, I'm pissed and have every right to be.

If you were a true Spurs fan though, you wouldn't be because you would understand that it's all about the postseason, not the beginning month of the season

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Seeing LeBron is what the "common every day people" come for.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
Seeing LeBron is what the "common every day people" come for.
for example if miami benched the big 3 against the raptors last year when i paid extra money for tickets to a premium game i would have been fucking pissed.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
If you were a true Spurs fan though, you wouldn't be because you would understand that it's all about the postseason, not the beginning month of the season
I'm not referring to being a Spurs fan; I'm referring to being a basketball fan. I'm a Rockets fan, so I may one day buy tickets to go the the Target Center and watch the Wolves play the Rockets. If I go to that game, and KLove, Ricky Rubio, etc are in the same situation as Duncan, Parker, etc from the Heat game, I'd be fucking livid. I spent my money. I should get the best product available. It's as simple as that. What Greg Popovich did was essentially give a bunch of a people an inferior product when they paid for the best basketball product available.

Fuck you, Greg Popovich. I already hated the way you treat reporters for between quarter interviews, but the fact that you do this over and over again is just cruel to fans who spend their hard-earned money.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
how about we dont make them play so many games this early in the season then?

the NBA season is too long

i dont like what the NBA did. they just made up a rule and this has been happening forever

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Nobody cares to mention that the sanctions were a 250,000 dollar fine?

ZigZag

TEH GREAT ZIGGY
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm not referring to being a Spurs fan; I'm referring to being a basketball fan. I'm a Rockets fan, so I may one day buy tickets to go the the Target Center and watch the Wolves play the Rockets. If I go to that game, and KLove, Ricky Rubio, etc are in the same situation as Duncan, Parker, etc from the Heat game, I'd be fucking livid. I spent my money. I should get the best product available. It's as simple as that. What Greg Popovich did was essentially give a bunch of a people an inferior product when they paid for the best basketball product available.

Fuck you, Greg Popovich. I already hated the way you treat reporters for between quarter interviews, but the fact that you do this over and over again is just cruel to fans who spend their hard-earned money.
Are you fucking serious? What about the fans who spend thousands on playoff tickets, only for Duncan, Ginobli, or Parker to get hurt from playing a back-to-back to end a 6 game road trip? What about the thousands of fans who deserve better than the Wizards or Kings? Why don't we fine them for bad personnel decisions?

Because it's not the NBA's job, it's the job of the head coach, GM, and upper management.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Would this have been acknowledged at all by Stern had this not been a TNT primetime game?

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
Are you fucking serious? What about the fans who spend thousands on playoff tickets, only for Duncan, Ginobli, or Parker to get hurt from playing a back-to-back to end a 6 game road trip? What about the thousands of fans who deserve better than the Wizards or Kings? Why don't we fine them for bad personnel decisions?

Because it's not the NBA's job, it's the job of the head coach, GM, and upper management.
You're equating playing in this past Miami game (what, 15 games into the season?) into being injured come April. Guess how much sense that makes? None.

Rarely is a team completely healthy come playoff time. Everybody is missing somebody. Your argument is nullified by that.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
actually its not. his point was that as fans we want to see the stars leading the teams come playoff time. missing them in the 16th game of the seasons isnt as important.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
actually its not. his point was that as fans we want to see the stars leading the teams come playoff time. missing them in the 16th game of the seasons isnt as important.
As a fan, I still paid my hard-earned money to see superstars, not Tiago Splitter, Gary Neal, and DeJaun Blair. It's rotten to the general NBA fan for Popovich to do this and Stern is doing the right thing about it.

There's no denying how great of a coach Greg Popovich is, but there's no denying how much of a douche he is either. You've seen the way he acts during the between-quarter interviews. It's absurdly rude.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
if the NBA shortened the season and contracted a little, the product would be sooooooooooooo much better

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
As a fan, I still paid my hard-earned money to see superstars, not Tiago Splitter, Gary Neal, and DeJaun Blair. It's rotten to the general NBA fan for Popovich to do this and Stern is doing the right thing about it.

There's no denying how great of a coach Greg Popovich is, but there's no denying how much of a douche he is either. You've seen the way he acts during the between-quarter interviews. It's absurdly rude.
i actually like the way he acts. you dont need to be buddy buddy or tell the side line reporter what your plans are.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
if the NBA shortened the season and contracted a little, the product would be sooooooooooooo much better
Said this two years ago and got laughed at, it would help so much

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
i actually like the way he acts. you dont need to be buddy buddy or tell the side line reporter what your plans are.
I'd like it if he wasn't so rude to the reporters themselves. They're not the ones who decided to start doing these interviews he doesn't like. To me, the way he treats them is like if I was to be rude to a delivery driver for a pizza that was obviously fucked up by the cook. Know what I mean?

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
yea i get thay but they also already know what to expect from him and they still ask him the questions.

ZigZag

TEH GREAT ZIGGY
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You're equating playing in this past Miami game (what, 15 games into the season?) into being injured come April. Guess how much sense that makes? None.

Rarely is a team completely healthy come playoff time. Everybody is missing somebody. Your argument is nullified by that.
Overplaying your players during the regular season doesn't lead to injuries come playoff time? Only if you have the Phoenix training staff. All three guys have a lot of miles.

You do realize this was the 6th straight road game, the second back-to-back? Do you understanding how hard that is on joints, ligaments, bones, and muscle? No, you don't. You also don't realize that there's a method to Pop's madness. His job is to ensure the team makes the playoffs, and he owes that to the organization that pays him and to the fans that support the organization. He owes absolutely nothing to fans of other teams.

God forbid you're happy your team gets to play an easier game.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The San Antonio Spurs have been fined $250,000 by the NBA for their decision to not send Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Danny Green to play in Thursday's game againstthe Miami Heat.

The NBA contends that the Spurs' actions were in violation of a league policy, reviewed with the NBA Board of Governors in April 2010, against resting players in a manner contrary to the best interests of the NBA.

"The result here is dictated by the totality of the facts in this case," said David Stern. "TheSpurs decided to make four of their top players unavailable for an early-season game that was the team's only regular-season visit to Miami. The team also did this without informing the Heat, the media, or the league office in a timely way. Under these circumstances, I have concluded that the Spurs did a disservice to the league and our fans."

A source told Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports that there would be no separate fines or suspensions to Gregg Popovich.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They just set a precedent that they're not going to follow later in the year when the Heat and Celtics do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%