Cubs Offer Managerial Position to Sveum

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
The Cubs’ search for a new skipper could be over.

According to Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated, Brewers hitting coach Dale Sveum was offered the vacant position at some point Wednesday night.

Former Red Sox manager Terry Francona took himself out of the running on Wednesday morning and Rangers pitching coach Mike Maddux has reportedly decided to return home to Texas.

Sveum, 47, has only managed for a couple of weeks on an interim basis, but he’s been in the coaching profession at the major league level since 2001 and is generally regarded as a thoughtful baseball strategist. He was also a candidate for Boston’s managerial opening, but they’re now expected to continue that search for another couple of weeks.

Look for Sveum to make a decision on the offer soon, probably within the next 12-24 hours.
-- Hardball Talk

Well, he definitely wasn't their top choice. Seems like Maddux and Tito had the upper hand but backed out and Sveum got the nod.

Now, no agreement has been made but I think it's a sign their manager search is near its end.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
lol red sox

they cant catch a break

this is theo trying to F them some more

Sveum is the Sox #1 option for the spot

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Francona was higher on the list than Sveum...

Pretty sure he actually withdrew his name, because he knew he wasn't really an option.

Anyway, pretty glad they went with Sveum. Besides Maddux, he was at the top of the list with Sandy Alomar Jr.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I just find it kind of odd they make an offer to Sveum less than 24 hours after Francona withdrew his name. Makes me believe he decided to hold off on Managing for now and Cubs acted on Sveum before losing him to the Sox.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
First we lose Paps.
Then Heidi Watney.
And now Sveum??

This sucks

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
FUCK YOU THEO
Stop being douche bags about compensation and we'll stop fucking you guys over. ;)

Seriously, take a couple low level prospects, maybe some cash, and let's call it a day.

Asking for Startlin Castro, Matt Garza, Brett Jackson, Trey McNutt, etc. is a freakin' joke.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Stop being douche bags about compensation and we'll stop fucking you guys over. ;)

Seriously, take a couple low level prospects, maybe some cash, and let's call it a day.

Asking for Startlin Castro, Matt Garza, Brett Jackson, Trey McNutt, etc. is a freakin' joke.
You took the best GM in baseball for us, one who built us 2 rings

And u want us to take back shit players? Fuck that. Boston will get a top spec, whether u give him to us or the MLB decides to. MLB is in favor of giving us Jackson. That's why it's taking so long, we want Selig to take care of this

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You took the best GM in baseball for us, one who built us 2 rings

And u want us to take back shit players? Fuck that. Boston will get a top spec, whether u give him to us or the MLB decides to. MLB is in favor of giving us Jackson. That's why it's taking so long, we want Selig to take care of this
LMAO

You're delusional...

If you get Brett Jackson, I'll fly to where ever you live and give you every last penny I have.

You're not getting top prospects for a general manager, doesn't matter how good he is, he's still a general manager, not a player.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If Boston is asking for a top prospect that I'm glad the Cubs are holding out on this.. That's absolutely ridiculous. If you didn't want him to take the position, then why did you grant him permission to talk to the Cubs?

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Theo Epstein the best GM in baseball?

LMFAO

Wasn't even the best GM in the AL East.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd hope he isn't the best GM in football :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%