Cuban star signs with Cubs

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
SANTO DOMINGO -- Cuban left handed starter Gerardo Concepcion, an 18-year-old phenom who defected last June, has reached a $7 million guaranteed contract with the Chicago Cubs, a source close to the negotiation told

According to the source, the deal is filled with incentives that could up the money to $8 million. The transaction will not be official until Concepcion passes a physical, the source added.

Concepcion was the Rookie of the Year in the Cuban National Series in 2010-11. He had a 10-3 record with an ERA of 3.36 in 21 outings, 16 of which were starts, with the Industriales de la Habana.

Concepcion left the Cuban National team at the World Port Tournament in Rotterdam, Holland -- the same tournament from which Aroldis Chapman defected to later sign a $30 million deal with the Cincinnati Reds.

After establishing his residency in Mexico, Concepcion was declared a free agent by Major League Baseball and is now training in the Dominican Republic, where Cubs owner Tom Ricketts visited Thursday to announce the construction of a new baseball academy and player development facility.
No, not Cespedes... LOL

Great pickup though. Hopefully this leads to signing Cespedes and Soler.

Concepcion should have a bright future ahead of him in Chicago.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I was hoping it wasn't Cespedes. Come to Detroit :)

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
i doubt the yankees make a strong effort for Cespedes if they aren't already, but I would love to have him. and my eyes got wide when I saw this thread, I thought it would be Yoennis lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%