Cowboys Fire DC Rob Ryan

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Rob Ryan's time is up with the Dallas Cowboys.

Fox Sports Insider and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer reported late Tuesday that Ryan and the Cowboys have parted ways after two seasons.

Ryan later confirmed his dismissal to ESPN's Tim McMahon.

"I'll be out of work for like 5 minutes," he said in the most Ryan-y comment on being fired possible.

Changes were coming in Big D following a second straight season that ended with a bitter Week 17 loss to a division rival. After a silent week, the Cowboys began to make noise with Monday's news that running backs coach Skip Peete had been fired.

Tuesday was Ryan's turn. With his long silver hair and brash attitude, Ryan often found himself in the headlines. But the Cowboys were a middling unit in both his seasons with the team, finishing 14th in total defense in 2011 and 19th this season.

"I inherited a team that was 31st in the league in defense and made them better, Ryan said, according to ESPNDallas.com. "I think I did a good job and I think our staff did a good job on defense trying to compete with what we had at the end of the year. But the best job we did was when we were able to coach our starters."
Jason Garrett said last week that Ryan "did a really good job managing" a Cowboys defense besieged by injuries this season, but the coach declined to confirm Ryan would be back. Now we know why.

Ryan's future might not be as safely mapped out as he believes, at least if he's looking for a lateral move. It's hard to ignore that none of Ryan's teams have posted a winning record in his nine years as a defensive coordinator. Then again, New York Jets coach Rex Ryan could always add a new attraction to the circus by clearing room for his twin brother.

There aren't enough beat writers in the world to handle that terrifying reality.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I laughed at his response hah.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Maybe the Lions should look into him? It would be a perfect fit lol

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
He's coming to work with his brother.

Cowboys are mad dumb for ditching him and not Garrett.

Sabbath

Reaction score
LOL this is just hilarious all around. Further cements that the Cowboys have no idea what they are doing. Jerry Jones must not have liked the guy because the defense is the least of the Cowboys problems.

He's coming to work with his brother.

Cowboys are mad dumb for ditching him and not Garrett.
Jets just hired a defensive coordinator. Rob Ryan would have to take a downgrade.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If you have both Ryan's on the same team that may be the most annoying team in NFL history...

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is, Rob Ryan would be an upgrade over most of the current defensive coordinators in the league. There aren't many places where I wouldn't prefer him, actually, outside of untouchable LeBeau in Pittsburgh.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd take Mike Zimmer, Mel Tucker and Wade Phillips over Rob Ryan as well as LeBeau.

I'd also take Rex Ryan as DC over Rob.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
I'd take Mike Zimmer, Mel Tucker and Wade Phillips over Rob Ryan as well as LeBeau.

I'd also take Rex Ryan as DC over Rob.
That's 5 names, leaving how many teams? He should go to Green Bay bump Dom Capers out of the mix.

Sabbath

Reaction score
Lovie Smith is a hell of a defensive minded coach too, but hes still probably going to get the head coaching nod.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%