Could The Phillies Decide To Trade Hamels?

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Phillies have a decision to make regarding Cole Hamels, who will be eligible for free agency next fall.

Buster Olney of ESPN.com writes that Philadelphia has three options regarding the left-handed starter.

They could sign Hamels to a one-year deal for 2012 and leave open the possibility that he could leave next season, lock him up with a long-term contract that could cost them upwards of $20 million annually or they could trade him this winter for the best return possible.

Many talent evaluators believe trading Hamels could be the best option for the Phillies.

"That would allow them to get back a couple of prospects," said one high-ranking talent evaluator. "But it all depends on what their intentions are, and what their interest level is in bringing him back."

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
They're starting to age and payroll for them is way up there. I think it's over $170M now, but not sure how accurate that is.

They definitely need to look towards building up some more youth.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
He'd be the best option for the Yankees to get as a number 2 guy. Would love to see him in pinstripes.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
if he reaches free agency and the dodgers get a good owner....

:cool:

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I think this is a good idea for the Phillies, most of their team is on the older side and they need some prospects in their farm system. Most of them are now in the majors. They also save a good deal of money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%