Cooke Suspended For Rest Of Season And First Round

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke has been suspended for the rest of the regular season (10 games) and the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs for his elbow to the head of New York Rangers forward Ryan McDonagh.

The incident occurred less than five minutes into the third period of Sunday's Rangers-Penguins game, when Cooke went high and landed an elbow on McDonagh's jaw. McDonagh had his back turned to the Penguins forward, and was in the process of shooting the puck into the offensive zone. Cooke was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct.

Detroit Red Wings centre Henrik Zetterberg said earlier in the day that the Penguins' agitator should have been suspended for the remainder of the season, including the playoffs.

"I don't think he should play anymore this year," the Red Wings' captain told Yahoo! sports writer, Nick Cotsonika.

Boston Bruins winger Brad Marchand, who just completed a two-game suspension for his elbow to the head of an opposing player, told ESPN that Cooke needs to be toaught a lesson by the league.

"I think it's about time he gets [suspended]," Marchand said. "He needs to be taught a lesson. He's doing that stuff left, right and centre. I expect he'll get a bunch of games. He's got to be taught a lesson. He can't be running around doing that stuff all the time. He's going to seriously hurt someone again - look at Savvy. He could have easily hurt McDonagh."

This is Cooke's fifth suspension - and his fourth involving a hit to the head or a hit from behind.

His most recent suspension was last month, when he was given a four-game sentence for a hit from behind on Columbus Blue Jackets defenceman Fedor Tyutin.

In November 2009, he was slapped with a two-game ban for a check to the head of Rangers' forward Artem Anisimov. A season before that in January, Cooke was served with another two-game suspension for a hit to the head of Scott Walker of the Carolina Hurricanes.

Cooke is perhaps best known for a hit that didn't garner any penalty or suspension. In March of last year, Cooke delivered an unsuspecting head shot to Bruins centre Marc Savard. Savard suffered a Grade 2 concussion on the hit and missed two months of the season.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=359027

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
Hahaha. Good. Serves him right. That was a nasty elbow.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Let's see Lemiux back up his talk and cut this fool.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Typo in the article here. Zetterberg isn't captain. Unless they mean assistant. Either way.

Detroit Red Wings centre Henrik Zetterberg said earlier in the day that the Penguins' agitator should have been suspended for the remainder of the season, including the playoffs.

"I don't think he should play anymore this year," the Red Wings' captain told Yahoo! sports writer, Nick Cotsonika.

As for the actual incident, about time the NHL does something. This was needed hits ago.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah you just can't keep doing things of this nature. He earned it. Pens will miss his grinding but oh well, they'll survive without him.

Mooche

Reaction score
Yeah you just can't keep doing things of this nature. He earned it. Pens will miss his grinding but oh well, they'll survive without him.
They really don't need him. Just his gritty play sometimes. But it got out of control.

Gibson39

Reaction score
They really don't need him. Just his gritty play sometimes. But it got out of control.
I disagree. He's a good player for the Pens in-between his antics and suspensions. They'll miss him, even more now that Crosby and Malkin are out, which means more call ups from the minors.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I disagree. He's a good player for the Pens in-between his antics and suspensions. They'll miss him, even more now that Crosby and Malkin are out, which means more call ups from the minors.
They've got more players like him. They're fine without him but his gritty play adds to the style of play their lower lines are out there for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%