Colts won't make Playoffs - Adam Schein

Status
Not open for further replies.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/peyton-manning-indianapolis-colts-wont-make-the-playoffs-081811

Why wait for my preseason picks? I know what I am going to shout from the rooftops when the calendar flips to September. And be honest with yourself. You see it coming, too.

The Colts’ incredible run of domination, the forgone conclusion of watching Peyton Manning play in the playoffs, will come to a crashing halt.

The banged-up and flawed Colts will go 8-8 and miss the postseason.

Manning is coming off neck surgery and hasn't practiced. This is kind of a big deal. Nobody thrives on chemistry, practice and subsequent perfection quite like Manning. Not having this crucial time with his receivers and offensive line and coaches must be driving the ultimate perfectionist crazy.

Let's not minimize the severity of neck surgery. Manning is getting long in the tooth. And yes, he once again put on his Superman cape and willed the beat-up Colts into the playoffs last year, despite enduring arguably the worst stretch of his career since his rookie season. And yes, I understand you won't believe the Colts are dead until you see it. But I'm not convinced Manning is going to be in the proper physical condition, or by his legendary standards, the proper mental state to overshadow the issues in Indy.

And make no mistake about it — the issues in Indianapolis are plentiful.

Sure the Colts drafted Anthony Castonzo in the first round. But this offensive line has a long way to go before being strong. And legendary line coach Howard Mudd is not walking through the door, having moved to Philadelphia to coach the protectors for Michael Vick.

I loved the Delone Carter draft pick, and not just because we are both Syracuse alumni. Carter adds toughness and eventually can be the goal-line back. But for some reason, Indy still is messing around with the underachieving, oft-injured combination of Joseph Addai and Donald Brown.

The Colts defense is filled with questions and holes at tackle and linebacker and in the defensive backfield.

Think about it. Where is the arrow pointing on defense? How would you rank the Colts defense in the division?

I'll answer and provide evidence. The arrow is down. The Colts will have the worst defense in the AFC South.

The Texans had a superb draft, plucking instant-impact star J.J. Watt to play end, while also drafting first-round talents in Brooks Reed and Brandon Moore later in the draft. They hired defensive guru Wade Phillips. Leader and star linebacker DeMeco Ryans is healthy. Brian Cushing will play 16 games without a steroids cloud hanging over his head. And Houston general manager Rick Smith made an ideal free-agent pickup when he nabbed Jonathan Joseph, who serves as a major upgrade at the previously maligned cornerback position.

Where exactly are the Colts better?

The Jags signed Paul Posluszny to anchor the middle of the defense and their young linemen are only getting better. The Titans made of the best moves of the offseason by bringing in tackling machine and leader Barrett Ruud. New coordinator Jerry Gray is a major upgrade over Chuck Cecil.

Now the Colts’ competition needs to prove it can take the next step. Houston and Jacksonville showed flashes of overtaking the Colts last season, only to miserably choke down the stretch.

Sure, I acknowledge the coaches in the division won't be confused with Vince Lombardi anytime soon. Gary Kubiak's management is baffling and he should be held responsible for the Texans’ collapse last year. Jack Del Rio is on the hottest seat in the league. Mike Munchak has never been a head coach before. But Jim Caldwell's game-day act is rather goofy. Who can forget Peyton Manning's hand gesture during inexplicable time management down the stretch against the Jets in the playoffs last year?

Indy needs a fast start and I'm not convinced the Colts will get it. They start the season in Houston before hosting the Browns and Steelers and visiting the Bucs in the first quarter of the year.

In the next four weeks they are home to the balanced Chiefs before three straight road games in Cincy, New Orleans and Tennessee.

I'll be generous and predict the Colts will start the season 3-5.

The Texans have the balance and explosiveness on offense to win the division. The Colts have recent history and nothing more. Regardless of the spin coming out of Indianapolis.

I know it is against conventional wisdom to bet against future Hall of Famers like Manning and President Bill Polian. But the evidence is too strong to think Manning can put on his Superman cape and save the Colts. If, of course, he's healthy enough to be Superman.
I been saying this...

JoshHoward5

LONG LIVE THE CHARIOT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm going to doubt it until I see it. The rest of the team is weak, but it won't be the first time that Peyton has willed them to be great. I'm not going to doubt Peyton until he gives me a reason to do so.

beamerball811

Reaction score
It's definently not going to be the Colts, this division is the Texans to lose.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
i honestly like the jags chances as long as they can get it done at qb.

Houston does nothing but disappoint every year.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Honestly, how can I trust this article, when the moron writing it, called Brandon Harris, Brandon Moore? He can't know what he's talking about if he doesn't even know the guys name, and called him a first round talent, when he was clearly a second round talent.

The big idea of the article is right, but I don't trust the writer lol.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I feel like the Titans will win the division.

And kam, finally after seeing the Peyton-less Colts, and hearing more bout the injury, I finally agree that the Colts will not win their division

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Honestly, how can I trust this article, when the moron writing it, called Brandon Harris, Brandon Moore? He can't know what he's talking about if he doesn't even know the guys name, and called him a first round talent, when he was clearly a second round talent.

The big idea of the article is right, but I don't trust the writer lol.
Brandon Harris was considered a First round talent by most..

Can pull you up alot of Mocks that had him going in the late first.

mikematt

Reaction score
cool story, bro.

everyone has been saying that the colts are no longer a playoff team for how many years now? they eventually have to get it right.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised. They came out struggling last time Peyton missed the entire preseason and had to win 9 straight to save themselves. If they come out struggling again, chances are they will, they wont be able to recover, especially not to the tune of 9 straight wins again. Even with Peyton under center.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Brandon Harris was considered a First round talent by most..

Can pull you up alot of Mocks that had him going in the late first.
Because after the first 3 CB's, there was a drop in talent. I like Harris, but his size drops him off a bit.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Because after the first 3 CB's, there was a drop in talent. I like Harris, but his size drops him off a bit.
Brandon Harris was regarded as the #3rd CB by some.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Over who? Peterson, Amukamara or Smith?
As much as I wasn't an Amukamara fan, I would not take Harris over Amukamara.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Over who? Peterson, Amukamara or Smith?
As much as I wasn't an Amukamara fan, I would not take Harris over Amukamara.
People had Harris over Smith..

It was this

Peterson
Amukamara
Harris
Smith. Mainly because of personal issues and such.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Smith has so much talent though. I can see the argument, but sometimes, IMO, some guys are just too talented, as was the case for me with Smith. He's just on another level than Harris IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%