Cam Charging For Autographs

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
FBB
Pro Football Talk - Cam Newton will appear at a mall this weekend and sign autographs for anyone willing to pay at least $125.

Charlotte Observer columnist Scott Fowler takes Newton to task for charging for his signature, saying that it's a false step for a guy who usually comes across as sincerely grateful.

"The Panthers pay Newton plenty of money," Folwer writes. "Charging for autographs in Charlotte seems a little cheap."

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This isn't the least bit uncommon.

Drew Brees does signings around Louisiana for like 200 plus.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Tebow charged like $175 here in Jacksonville.. LOL

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
FBB
well i guess i read too much into this lol

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Why do something for free that people are willing to pay you for?

TTN2810

Reaction score
Because you already make millions, and because most of your fans, probably your best fans, don't have $125 to dish out for something like that. It's ink on a surface. C'mon, these athletes are really in their own world. Give your fans a break. That's how much it costs to go to a GD game.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They'll do it as long as long as the fans pay for it.

On sportscollectors there is a thread of 70 or so people who are going to pay 115 dollars for non premium Joe Namath autographs, and some are getting multiple things signed.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Not if you wanna live lavishly

Work too hard to be ballin on a budget

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Just for a damn signature. What's next? Charging merchants $125 when you need to sign for your credit card? Just make the fans day, don't charge them for taking a second of your day due to their admiration for you.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You could probably flip that autograph for twice what he's charging though, depending on what you get signed.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think the reason athletes do this is this: it dilutes the line, and they don't like people making money off of them. I'd say like 75% of autographs are sold.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
agreed^

And as nola said, this isn't uncommon. After the Super Bowl I'd see things posted on Giant blogs advertising that 4 or 5 players would be at a location signing Super Bowl shirts and hats for people -- they charged anyone who walked in, and charged extra based on what you wanted signed.

Shirt - $20. Football - $30 - Jersey - an arm and a leg.

but i'll admit $125 is a little douchey, but like Yanks said it dilutes the line and most people flip these things in 5-10 years for a lot of money anyway.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Overall, the session could be regarded as a disappointment.* With 2.5 hours set aside for the signings, Newton, who declined comment, was finished in roughly an hour.

With a lower price point, he likely would have been there longer.

And that’s how America works.* Goods and services are provided at a cost.* If the cost is too high, fewer will respond.

Still, if all 300 spent an average of $150, Newton grossed $45,000 for an hour of his time.* Which isn’t a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I would pay to get an autograph and photo with my favorite player of all-time. But thats pretty much it.

NCSportsfan21

Reaction score
It’s pretty cheap actually... I mean a damn jersey will run you more than 125.

For reference Hines Ward was in Charlotte for a charity auction and also did a signing at South Park mall like a month ago and he charged 250 per signature.

I don’t blame Cam for it at all. He’s a superstar and EVERY SINGLE NFL player does the same thing.

Also Fowler didn’t bother to mention that Cam had a free signing last year when he first got here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Toggle Sidebar

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%