Bynum could miss entire season, injury could become career threatning

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PHILADELPHIA-- The 76ers let Andrew Bynum break the news about the latest setback with his damaged knees on Friday, then acted as if they weren’t sure what was going on with the guy they’re paying $16.5 million this season.

The truth is that the 7-foot, 285-pound former All-Star center who has yet to play a game as a Sixer may be out for the season and will learn in December, at the earliest, whether he’ll require surgery that could sideline him for up to a year.
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20121119/SPORTS03/121118014/Exclusive-Evidence-shows-76ers-Bynum-likely-out-season?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

One internationally respected orthopedic surgeon, who is not involved with Bynum’s treatment and has not seen his MRIs, told The News Journal that all of the information that has been released by the player and the Sixers points to a likely diagnosis of osteochondritis dessicans lesions. The surgeon said that if this is the case, there’s a small chance that Bynum’s knees could heal sufficiently on their own in time for him to return for the playoffs this season, but called that scenario “wishing on a star.”
“While they can heal non-operatively, they can take a long time [four to six months] to heal, and in adult athletes, frequently they will require surgical intervention at some point if there isn’t adequate healing within the first several months of treatment,” the surgeon said.

He added that if the 25-year-old returns to the court too early and the lesions become large enough, the condition could become career threatening. The surgeon spoke on condition of anonymity because Bynum is not his patient, but this probable diagnosis, given the player’s symptoms and treatment thus far, is backed up by reams of medical literature.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
:(

this freaking sucks

is this all because of his freak accidents from a few years ago? both injuries were wrong place wrong time

but i do think he was hurt in HS too

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
hes so long for a 7footer all this would've been expected. really sucks though. had he been able to remain healthy most of his career(thus far) and assuming he misses a bunch more time. he and oden couldve been league changers.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm not crazy to believe that this is why the Lakers were pretty dead set on wanting to trade him this off-season. They had to know something.

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
he's done.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm not crazy to believe that this is why the Lakers were pretty dead set on wanting to trade him this off-season. They had to know something.
^This. And they made out like bandits if howard stays.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Rob Henigan looks like a GENIUS right now.....

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Andrew Bynum has been ruled out indefinitely and has no timetable for return. Philadelphia 76ers general manager Tony DiLeo told the media the news on Saturday.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Took him in the first round of my fantasy draft thinking he'd be back in the first week... ruined my fantasy team this year :(. I hope he can recover but things aren't looking good for Bynum right now; who knows if he'll be back strong for the following season.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
those big dudes. they come and they go...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%