Braves, Andrelton Simmons Agree To Extension

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score

The Atlanta Braves continued their signing spree Thursday, inking Gold Glove shortstop Andrelton Simmons to a seven-year contract.

Terms weren't disclosed but Fox Sports reported the contract is worth $58 million.

Simmons, 24, joins first baseman Freddie Freeman, right fielder Jason Heyward, starter Julio Teheran and closer Craig Kimbrel as players the Braves recently signed to new contracts.

On Wednesday, the Braves also extended the contracts of general manager Frank Wren and manager Fredi Gonzalez. Both were entering the final years of their contracts.

Only 24, Simmons is widely considered to be baseball's best defensive shortstop. He would have been eligible for salary arbitration next week.

He won his first Gold Glove Award last season after leading the majors with 499 assists.

"We feel that Andrelton is one of the premier shortstops in the game today and we are happy that we were able to agree on this multiyear contract," Wren said in a statement.

Last season, Simmons batted .248 with 17 homers and 59 RBIs in 157 games as the Braves won the National League East.

Andrelton Simmons is so close to being an elite player, not just an elite SS.  If he can get that average up to .270/.280, get that OBP up to .340/.350, and keep the HR total in the mid-teens while still playing ridiculous defense, watch out

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That's a solid deal IMO.

mgh1985

Reaction score
Bleacher Creature said:

Andrelton Simmons is so close to being an elite player, not just an elite SS.  If he can get that average up to .270/.280, get that OBP up to .340/.350, and keep the HR total in the mid-teens while still playing ridiculous defense, watch out

That's one hell of a deal, especially if Simmons starts hitting. Wish the Orioles would do this with Manny Machado, though I imagine Machado would ask for more money than Simmons. 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't see why he would, since Simmons is better

mgh1985

Reaction score
elcheato said:
I don't see why he would, since Simmons is better

Better than Machado? I'd disagree. Machado's younger and had far better hitting numbers than Simmons in 2013. They're both incredible defensively. Simmons had more Defensive Runs Saved (41) to (35) but UZR favors Machado (31.2 to 24.6). I'm pretty sure Machado won't sign a thing until he switches to shortstop. His value would be even higher there. 

wilmyers

Reaction score
snipezo said:
That's a solid deal IMO.
Just another example of how John Hart is an amazing GM. He and the rest of the organization have created an atmosphere in which players want to stay there for the duration of their careers. 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Since when is John Hart the Braves GM?

lilbravesfan22

Reaction score
wilmyers said:
Just another example of how John Hart is an amazing GM. He and the rest of the organization have created an atmosphere in which players want to stay there for the duration of their careers. 
lolwut

wilmyers

Reaction score
eh, I meant Frank Wren. Not sure why the hell I had John Hart on the brain but I was drinking at the time.

wilmyers

Reaction score
Now I remember... I was listening to the story on the radio and it mentioned John Hart, (current Braves adviser to Baseball operations), playing a vital role in getting these deals done.

lilbravesfan22

Reaction score
lol, yeah baseball people (specifically mlb network) seem to want everyone to believe they he had everything to do with it, but Wren said this plan was in place long before he came along. I believe Wren because Hart hasn't been here no time and it;s not like it takes a few weeks to sign these guys. They've been thinking about doing this since at least last offseason. No question I am glad Hart is apart of the front office though.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
John Hart was the guy who started giving these kind of deals to young players in the 90s with the Indians. I assume that's why he is getting some credit. He probably has played a role

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%