Brad Richards signs with the Rangers

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Arguably the biggest prize in free agency is off the market.

Brad Richards has chosen to play with the New York Rangers and will agree to a nine-year deal for $58.5 million.

Richards had 28 goals and 77 points in 72 games with the Stars last season.

He spent his first seven years in the NHL with the Lightning, where he led Tampa to a Stanley Cup in 2004, while collecting the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP.

Richards has 220 goals and 496 assists in 772 career NHL games.
TSN

HockeyGuy

Reaction score
I thought he'd be asking for atleast $7.5M and up...was a bit surprised to see he took somewhat of a pay cut.

Mooche

Reaction score
Salary wise it wasn't that bad, but I mean, the guy is already 31 years old and I just hate seeing teams locking these guys up to such long term deals.

He's going to be for New York though, and I imagine him to put up some pretty solid numbers.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
New York always seems to sign the big names to long term deals during FA lol. I guess because the market there is great, and they have a great fan base, and it's New York.

I think it's better for the Leafs in my opinion. I wouldn't want a 9 year deal with Richards when he could regress.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Obviously we needed to sign someone of his scoring caliber on the team with Gaborik being the only real legit threat. Really would rather not have him locked up for 9 more years though..

Mooche

Reaction score
New York always seems to sign the big names to long term deals during FA lol. I guess because the market there is great, and they have a great fan base, and it's New York.

I think it's better for the Leafs in my opinion. I wouldn't want a 9 year deal with Richards when he could regress.
Toronto was never really a full out threat though in my eyes. He made it pretty clear that he wants to play for a team that is going to contend, and no offense, but Toronto is not the best place for that at this point in time. New York isn't the best contender, but he feels that he might be able to really help them I guess.

I'm happy the Jets didn't target him.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Toronto was never really a full out threat though in my eyes. He made it pretty clear that he wants to play for a team that is going to contend, and no offense, but Toronto is not the best place for that at this point in time. New York isn't the best contender, but he feels that he might be able to really help them I guess.

I'm happy the Jets didn't target him.
No offense taken. I'm okay with not signing Richards, but I think Richards could of helped make this team into a playoff team; but at the same time, I don't think we should be signing free agents to long term deals unless they're really young.

Mooche

Reaction score
Right, that's why I really like the lack of aggressive nature by Burke for Richards if I was a Leafs fan. It really makes sense to try and add a talent like Brad for the long term success of your team, as he's up there, but still has time left. However, like you said, it doesn't make sense for long term deals for the state of a team like Toronto in reality.

I'd say Richards has a few really solid years left, and he'll fill the stat sheet, but he's gonna fade away for the Rangers especially on the back heels of the 9 year deal.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Part of me is happy, part of me isn't. I really want the Leafs to find a legitimate centre for the Kessel and Lupul line, however, locking him up for nine years, when he is already 31, scares me.

JKG33

Reaction score
I really don't think there was any competition all along. He wanted to be with Torts the whole time, and he took a lot less money to go there. He would have got more from Toronto, Calgary or LA. But i'm not sure it was a smart decision. The Rangers have got rid of all their big name signings besides Gaborik the last few years. Redden to Hartford, Gomez to Montreal and buying out Drury.

Richards and Gaborik are going to kill the rest of the league though. If Gaborik stays healthy, watch out.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah I really never imagined him signing anywhere else. It'd be nice if this was a bust of a signing though...just saying ;)

They got who they were after at a nice price. Well done Rangers.

HockeyGuy

Reaction score
it would have been awesome to see him here in Calgary...he'd look great with Tanguay and Iginla.

Mooche

Reaction score
I really don't think there was any competition all along. He wanted to be with Torts the whole time, and he took a lot less money to go there. He would have got more from Toronto, Calgary or LA. But i'm not sure it was a smart decision. The Rangers have got rid of all their big name signings besides Gaborik the last few years. Redden to Hartford, Gomez to Montreal and buying out Drury.

Richards and Gaborik are going to kill the rest of the league though. If Gaborik stays healthy, watch out.
Well, that's just it, he's gotta stay healthy. I'm not really concerned with those guys putting up the numbers in the next few years, but I just hate these long term deals, especially the 9 year deal in this case. He's never going to see the end of the contract, but it only makes it tougher to make a deal and trade him away when his play starts to drop off later.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
Well, that's just it, he's gotta stay healthy. I'm not really concerned with those guys putting up the numbers in the next few years, but I just hate these long term deals, especially the 9 year deal in this case. He's never going to see the end of the contract, but it only makes it tougher to make a deal and trade him away when his play starts to drop off later.
they should really start limiting these front loaded long ass contracts, they are so stupid.

Mooche

Reaction score
they should really start limiting these front loaded long ass contracts, they are so stupid.
Completely agree man, like this is getting ridiculous already..

Ehrhoff being signed to a 10 year deal? I mean come on with that trash.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yes exactly

And how often do these guys even stay with the team that long -__-

Easy way around the cap system

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ye not a fan either. They're getting pretty annoying.

HockeyGuy

Reaction score
Im sure if they signed a long term contract with your team you'd be praising your team's GM.

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
Im sure if they signed a long term contract with your team you'd be praising your team's GM.
I doubt it. I would have been pretty pissed if Burke signed someone to a contract for 6+ years. The highest I would be happy with is 5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%