Blue Jays to hire Gibbons as manager

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Blue Jays will announce John Gibbons as their new manager at some point on Tuesday morning, according to Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun.

Gibbons served as the Blue Jays manager from 2004-08, leading the team to an even 305 wins and 305 losses, including a second-place finish in the AL East back in 2006. He was replaced by Cito Gaston in 2008, and has since been a bench coach for the Royals and managed for the Padres' Double-A affiliate.

Gibbons came under heavy scrutiny during his first tenure as the Blue Jays manager, following confrontations with Dave Bush, Shea Hillenbrand and Ted Lilly. However, as Elliott notes, he has a long history with Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos.

Other candidates for the Blue Jays' managerial opening had included Don Wakamatsu, Manny Acta and Jim Tracy. According to Elliott, the team also approached future Hall of Famer Bobby Cox, but Cox elected to remain retired.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#J4TiaoYVXbDBHGde.99
Not bad I suppose. He knows Toronto and he's great with pitching from what I remember. He was good at arguing too :p

Mr.Baller

Reaction score
I really don't know the managers out there ... But looking at his record he doesn't look that bad ... but obviously some real good vets with winning experience were available to us ...

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's a good in game manager but he didn't handle a lot of the players well. Not reaally sure what to think of this.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Earlier today the Blue Jays announced the hiring (or re-hiring) of former manager John Gibbons, though not everyone around the game is impressed by the move according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. Here's the latest out of Toronto...

"I've got more conviction in this hire ... than in any other transaction," said GM Alex Anthopoulos of the Gibbons hire according to Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca (on Twitter) Gibbons received a two-year contract plus an option for a third year, tweets Davidi.
The Blue Jays have not yet made any announced about the rest of the coaching staff, but MLB.com's Gregor Chisholm says (on Twitter) they want to take care of that quickly.
The team has exceeded payroll expectations, but Anthopoulos reminded everyone that he promised the money would be there when the time was right according to Mike Wilner of The Blue Jays Radio Network (on Twitter).
Anthopoulos said he will now focus on improving the team further, specifically mentioning both rotation and bullpen depth, tweets Davidi.
John Buck will serve as the backup catcher to J.P. Arencibia according to Anthopoulos, tweets Davidi.

Read more at http://www.mlbtrader...L09dpMhtgk0I.99
I really hope this is the right signing. I mean, when Cito replaced Gibbons, the team played significantly better the rest of that season. I really hope this works out. I thought we were going after someone a little more experienced but I guess giving Gibbons a 2nd chance isn't so bad; it was not like he was outright horrible. He's just too average lol. He's nothing special from what I've seen.

Mr.Baller

Reaction score
Nothing special but still has a .500avg whice is good ... Also from what I remember he had no where near a roster like the current one .. Accidents do happen but hopefully his attitude changed from the last time ..

The main thing for me is that we need a manager who would control the guys on the field not like last year with the rookies and all

H-MYK

Reaction score
It's an ok pick I guess. I would've asked for Sandy Alomar instead.

Mr.Baller

Reaction score
The Blue Jays are likely to hire DeMarlo Hale as their bench coach, according to a source.
Hale interviewed for the job earlier this week.
He served as Baltimore's third-base coach last season, was offered a contract to return to Buck Showalter's staff and is the only unsigned member as he considers other offers.

-RealGm

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
Never had a complaint with Gibbons when he last wore a Jays uni, not sure how he'll fare with an AA team though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%