Blue Jays on verge of monster deal with Marlins

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Reaction To Marlins Ownership

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria and president David Samson are destroying baseball in Miami, but commissioner Bud Selig shares blame with the pair of Miami executives in the view of Yahoo's Jeff Passan. Selig knew the Marlins were lying last year but let them continue, Passan writes.

After looking back at recent comments made by Loria, Samson and others, ESPN.com's Buster Olney finds it hard to view the Marlins' decision making "as anything other than a complete sham." There are calls for MLB to force Loria to sell the team, Olney writes. However, baseball executives think the deal was good for Miami from a pure baseball standpoint (considering talent and salary obligations).

The trade is "a despicable disgrace" for the Marlins, Scott Miller of CBSSports.com writes. The Marlins obtained a publicly funded ballpark only to trade their top players. Loria, Miller concludes, "must be stopped."

It's the same tired act in Miami, Tyler Kepner of the New York Times writes. Former Marlins reliever Randy Choate told Kepner Loria wants to win, but questioned this trade. "It’s just unexplainable,” Choate said. “I don’t think any of those guys would have signed there if they thought they’d get traded one year later."
Reaction To The New-Look Blue Jays

We just witnessed the defining move of Alex Anthopoulos' career in Toronto, Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca writes. Casey Janssen told Davidi he hopes the deal gets finalized soon. "I think we kind of told baseball that we’re going to be a factor next year," Janssen said.

The Blue Jays now seem like a serious threat in the AL East, but as Joel Sherman of the New York Post reminds us, you don't get prizes for winning the offseason. One NL executive told Sherman GM Alex Anthopoulos "was tired of asset collecting and finishing fourth."

ESPN.com's Keith Law likes the trade for the Blue Jays, who now look like contenders. As for the Marlins, Law writes he would offer "condolences to the Marlins' fans if only [he] could find them."
What The Trade Means For Toronto’s Manager Search

Before the trade took place, a person with Blue Jays reached out to longtime Braves manager and former Toronto manager Bobby Cox to determine his interest in returning to the Blue Jays, Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reports.

The Blue Jays called right after their opening emerged and heard that Cox wasn’t interested, David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports (on Twitter). Cox told MLB.com's Mark Bowman that he plans to stay retired. “I really don’t know what else to say,” Cox said.

Read more at http://www.mlbtrader...V7LKP1kT2DYe.99
If we were able to hire Cox, then damn, I'd have so much faith in this team lol. I hope we really find a good manager though, one that the players like. Definitely wouldn't want Ozzie here. I really feel bad for Marlins fans... seems like the Marlins can only go downhill from here after getting hopes up and all last offseason, and now all they can do is pray that their prospects turn out okay. Just bad ownership I guess.

Anthopoulos... the man has some slick tricks up his sleeve. First he gets rid of Vernon Wells's contract and now this lol. We're definitely going for it all here though, so if this doesn't work out for us in the end, it could really screw us over.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I sorta lost faith in him when he went full on derp with the Happ for Prospects and Snider for Lincoln trades. He often handles the media the wrong way as well. He's so unpredictable.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I sorta lost faith in him when he went full on derp with the Happ for Prospects and Snider for Lincoln trades. He often handles the media the wrong way as well. He's so unpredictable.
I guess we were just in desperation for pitching. Last season was a rough one for sure. Snider was having problems with the organization too apparently, so just letting him start somewhere else was fine with me. I lost my faith in Snider. I'm just happy to see the team take a bit of a gamble with this trade.

H-MYK

Reaction score
I love this trade, I didn't expect this at all. Hopefully Morrow can stay healthy and Romero can forget about that mess of a season he had, start off fresh and things will start cooking.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Commissioner Bud Selig has approved the blockbuster trade that the Blue Jays and Marlins agreed to last week. The Blue Jays announced the 12-player trade, which sends Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, John Buck, Emilio Bonifacio and cash considerations to Toronto for Yunel Escobar, Adeiny Hechavarria, Henderson Alvarez, Jeff Mathis, Justin Nicolino, Anthony Desclafani and Jake Marisnick.

The deal, which calls for the Marlins to send the Blue Jays $4MM, required the approval of the commissioner's office. The Blue Jays are taking on tens of millions in future payroll obligations, while the Marlins are moving the contracts of Reyes and Buehrle less than one full year after signing them as free agents.

Ultimately the deal "represents the exercise of plausible baseball judgment on the part of both clubs," Selig said in a statement approving the trade.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/blue-jays-marlins-complete-blockbuster-trade.html#ZWAEi2kc5RcCfzL
Let's go!

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
love to see Reyes in a jays uni, loved him in New York, not so much in Miami but i'm sure he'll turn it around in Toronto

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%