Best 1-2 Pitching Duo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Scherzer needs more experience before you really can

Same is with Andrew Bailey and Gio Gonzalez in OAK

IMO I would take Price and Shields over Verlander and Scherzer
Uhhhhhhh you do realize Andrew Bailey is a closer......

And Oakland's next two big pitchers are Trevor Cahill and Brett Anderson

The Edge

Reaction score
Scherzer needs more experience before you really can

Same is with Andrew Bailey and Gio Gonzalez in OAK

IMO I would take Price and Shields over Verlander and Scherzer
And I'd take a Tim Hudson/Tommy Hanson over those too.

Hanson being the 10th most effective pitcher according to tRA(which i believe to be the msot complete pitching stat for any non groundball pitchers.) and Hudson easily being the 2nd best Groundball pitcher behind Halladay.

In looking up to confirm the stats. I did find something VERY interesting.

Of all the pitchers and combos mentioned, according to tRA they say the Dodgers have not only the best 1-2, but the best 1-2-3 combination having 3 pitchers in the top 12 pitchers.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd say Halladay and Lee no question. Call me a homer for saying this but i'd add Verlander/Scherzer. They aren't as high on the radar, but they aren't guys to shake your head at. They aren't the best duo in the league, i'd put them in the Top 10, but they are worth the mention.
I'd put them top 5, maybe even 3, if Scherzer plays the way he did the end of the season.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
I'd put them top 5, maybe even 3, if Scherzer plays the way he did the end of the season.
You're ridiculous. Justin Verlander is pretty overrated. They're in no way going to above LinceCain, Halladay and Lee, or Waino and Carpenter.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You're ridiculous. Justin Verlander is pretty overrated. They're in no way going to above LinceCain, Halladay and Lee, or Waino and Carpenter.
Verlander is overrated eh? lol.
Unless you watched damn near every Tigers game last season, calling him overrated might be one of the most idiotic things I've heard in a while.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
He's not this amazing pitcher everyone claims him to be. He's an ace, but he's a low-end ace.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Are you basing this on the 1 or 2 games you see him pitch against the Yankees?

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
An real good ERA, with what should be more wins than he gets because of our lack of run support..

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Wins are irrelevant.

In his two best seasons, 09 and 10, his ERA has been 22nd and 28th in the league respectively. That's not a high-end ace to me.

The Edge

Reaction score
Over the last 4 years Verlander is:

9th best according to tRA, 4th best pitcher according to WAR, 10th according to FIP

coming from the Yankee fan that refuses to accept that Jeter is the worst everyday defensive shortstop in the history of the game and actually goes beyond to call him an above average defender, doesn't really surprise me that he calls Verlander overrated.

As far as being top 3 1-2 combinations that has to be a joke. Giants, Dodgers, Phillies, Red Sox, Cardinals are all well beyond what Scherzer brings to the table as the #2 guy.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He had a better year than Sabathia in '09. And I'm sure you consider Sabathia a high-end ace

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Over the last 4 years Verlander is:

9th best according to tRA, 4th best pitcher according to WAR, 10th according to FIP

coming from the Yankee fan that refuses to accept that Jeter is the worst everyday defensive shortstop in the history of the game and actually goes beyond to call him an above average defender, doesn't really surprise me that he calls Verlander overrated.

As far as being top 3 1-2 combinations that has to be a joke. Giants, Dodgers, Phillies, Red Sox, Cardinals are all well beyond what Scherzer brings to the table as the #2 guy.
Hence why I said if he did as good as he did at the end of last season.

He was 2-6, with a 6.60 ERA at one point last season. And look at the way he ended the year.

The Edge

Reaction score
Hence why I said if he did as good as he did at the end of last season.

He was 2-6, with a 6.60 ERA at one point last season. And look at the way he ended the year.
I'm just stating he doesn't really match up at all, even if he looks the way he ends up you have

Cain and Lincecum
Waino and Carp
Lee, Halladay, Oswalt
Lester, Bucholz, Beckett
Kershaw, Billingsley, Kuroda(all top 12 pitchers accordign to tRA)
Hudson and Hanson(4th best pitcher over last 2 seasons according to tRA)
Greinke(although I feel he is actualy a bit overrated) and Gallardo(as #2 gives an edge over Tigers)
I'd almost even argue to expect better out of the 1-2 of the Jays and padres

Granted scherzer looks good they are at best 7-10th best 1-2 rotation.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I understand that lol. I know there is plenty of other teams with great staffs.

But if you take the same old Verlander, and Scherzer (who is still young, and improving), the Tigers should be in the discussion. Last season was only his 2nd season as a full time starting pitcher.

I'm speaking more from a future standpoint, not a based on last season one.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i like The Edge. this dude's nice :)

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Wins are irrelevant.

In his two best seasons, 09 and 10, his ERA has been 22nd and 28th in the league respectively. That's not a high-end ace to me.
Just to make this worse. Sabathia's ERA was 3.18 last year and 3.37 the year before. Verlander's was 3.37 this year and 3.45 the year before.

Explain Sabathia's ERA and your logic then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%