Best 1-2 Pitching Duo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Edge

Reaction score
Just to make this worse. Sabathia's ERA was 3.18 last year and 3.37 the year before. Verlander's was 3.37 this year and 3.45 the year before.

Explain Sabathia's ERA and your logic then.

ERA is a terrible stat to go on. If your going to use stats learn tRA, FIP, and xFIP.

ERA is so flawed in relying so much on your fielders talents, the fact that your ERA can go up even when your not pitching. Basically ERA is just as bad a stat as going by Wins and losses or Batting average. Just completely stupid stats to look at.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
ERA is a terrible stat to go on. If your going to use stats learn tRA, FIP, and xFIP.

ERA is so flawed in relying so much on your fielders talents, the fact that your ERA can go up even when your not pitching. Basically ERA is just as bad a stat as going by Wins and losses or Batting average. Just completely stupid stats to look at.
Considering according to your sabr defensive stats, the Yankees were a pretty shitty defensive team, the fact that CC Sabathia's ERA is as low as it was is pretty remarkable. All stats, other than wins, can be useful, but you have to look at other stats with it as well, you can't just look at one of them.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
I understand that lol. I know there is plenty of other teams with great staffs.

But if you take the same old Verlander, and Scherzer (who is still young, and improving), the Tigers should be in the discussion. Last season was only his 2nd season as a full time starting pitcher.

I'm speaking more from a future standpoint, not a based on last season one.
That's how i'm looking at it too. I'm not saying they are the best 1-2 duo or anything, but with what they are both capable of, they should get a mention. As long as Scherzer keeps improving, they could move up higher on the list, but not right now.

The Edge

Reaction score
Considering according to your sabr defensive stats, the Yankees were a pretty shitty defensive team, the fact that CC Sabathia's ERA is as low as it was is pretty remarkable. All stats, other than wins, can be useful, but you have to look at other stats with it as well, you can't just look at one of them.

I wasn't saying he was a bad pitcher in any way. He wasn't great by any means, closer to being on a Brett Myers level than a Cliff Lee level this past year. But the Middle of the Yankees infield if horrible defensively, yes.

And according to "my sabermetric stats" and the top 15 pitchers in the league in 2010...its awfully funny how an organization like the Mariners that put emphasis on fielding metrics ace ended up with the lowest BABIP of the group.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score

Oh I agree with you completely. Its just that BC thinks Verlander is shit, despite the fact Sabathia has a similar ERA, and he was using ERA as a stat to say Verlander sucks.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Oh I agree with you completely. Its just that BC thinks Verlander is shit, despite the fact Sabathia has a similar ERA, and he was using ERA as a stat to say Verlander sucks.
Lmao at you trying to agree with him when you were the one who posted wins when comparing CC and Lester.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%