Bears sign RB Michael Bush

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Chicago Bears have invested good money in a No. 2 running back for the third consecutive year, and the signing Thursday of free agent Michael Bush to a four-year contract could prove to be quality insurance if a contract agreement can't be reached with Matt Forte.

Bush becomes the third significant piece added to the Bears' offense in a little more than a week. The former Oakland Raiders running back, who visited Halas Hall this month, was arguably the top player at his position available in free agency.

He’s clearly the backup to Forte, who has been tendered with the franchise tag, meaning he will earn $7.742 million this season. Forte has yet to sign that tender, and general manager Phil Emery said Friday the team continues to work toward signing him. But in the absence of a deal for Forte, the Bears could have a bona fide starter in Bush.

“Obviously, we want Matt to be a Bear for the long term,” Emery said. “We’re working toward that resolution.”

Bush rushed for a career-high 977 yards in 16 games for the Raiders last season, starting nine as Darren McFadden was sidelined with a foot injury. He also caught 37 passes out of the backfield for 418 yards (11.3 average), so he has the kind of versatility the Bears are used to in Forte.

The Cincinnati Bengals also had interest in Bush, but they signed BenJarvus Green-Ellis on Wednesday, taking away what might have been Bush’s best opportunity for a starting job. Bush had interest from other teams, and the Seattle Seahawks were reportedly pursuing him.
Chicago Tribune

Hell of a backup running back...

Peace out Barbarian!

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Also great insurance if Forte holds out and gives us a legit option if we decide to let Forte go after the season.

EDIT: Forte is throwing a bitch fit on twitter.

There's only so many times a man that has done everything he's been asked to do can be disrespected! Guess the GOOD GUYS do finish last....
Not sure how this is disrespecting him... Bears are just bringing in a backup that can fill in if Forte holds out, which he said he was going to do if a new deal wasn't reached. The Bears offered him a long term contract that he turned down. If he's gonna act like this go ahead and trade him. We have too many other needs and Bush can start and do just fine.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Sucks to see him stay in a backup role. This guy could easily be a #1 for some team in the league. I've loved Bush ever since his Louisville days. I still believe he would have won the Heisman in '06 had he not broken his leg.

vikesfan

Reaction score
Ouch...this year is gonna suck :( Forte, Bush, Rodgers, Cutler, Jennings, Finley, Jennings, Hester, Calvin Johnson....etc. etc. :suicide:

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It will be weird to see him not get as many carries. I wonder why he took this kind of deal to be a backup.

He's gonna try to run Matt Forte out of the city I bet lol.

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It will be weird to see him not get as many carries. I wonder why he took this kind of deal to be a backup.

He's gonna try to run Matt Forte out of the city I bet lol.
Forte is gonna run himself out of the city.

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Do you think they'll trade him or they'll just end up letting him stick through it cause obviously he's got competition and is unhappy...
He's not unhappy about the competition, he's unhappy that the Bears have payed four running backs from outside the organization (Kevin Jones, Chester Taylor, Marion Barber, Michael Bush) in the last four years and he feels like he still hasn't gotten his, even though the Bears offered him a long term deal that he turned down.

He's still gonna get $7.7 million this season and a long term deal in the future, whether its from the Bears or another organization. He needs to just shut up and show up to play football. Cutler-Forte-Marshall makes for a hell of an offense, so I can't see the Bears trading him away. Forte is too valuable to the Bears offense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%