76ers hoping Doug Collins steps down

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Philadlephia 76ers privately wish that Doug Collins decides not to return as coach for the final year of his contract next season, according to multiple league sources.

The 76ers have no plans to extend Collins' contract.

Due to his desire to win, Collins has been demanding with people above him in the 76ers' organization and players on the roster. Some members of the organization prefer a coach who is more pliable in his dealings with management and players.

Collins, who will turn 62 this summer, would have to leave $4.5 million on the table if he decided to quit.

"I think he's gone at the end of the year. He'll be moving on," said one NBA source with intimate knowledge of the situation. "He'll decide to leave, and they won't be upset about it. They would like to see it work out that he decides to move on."

After a run to the second round in last year's playoffs, the 76ers have slipped badly this season, currently ninth in the Eastern Conference and 16 games under .500.

Via Bob Ford/Philadelphia Inquirer

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Can't see him leaving that kind of money on the table lol.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
lmao if he really hates it there as much as it seems he may leave..if hes crazy. i doubt hes starving for money though, but i dont think another team will be asking fir his services right away.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Might as well wait to get fired haha.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
thats what id do lol

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's 62 and I can't imagine he's loose with money. Probably has a small fortune, and he'll be getting paid 6 figures by TNT next season.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
I don't understand the way that they think he's a problem. His coaching style go them to overachieve last year. Then they parted with a lot of pieces and struggled like we all knew they would and all of a sudden they aren't claiming to have one of the best coaches in the league anymore. Doug Collins is an excellent coach. I will admit, though, that I very much enjoyed him calling games for TNT and hope that he does it again if he leaves Philly.

Legion Sports

Reaction score
Like the OP mentioned, it's not even his issue. Collins is a great coach and won't have a problem finding another job elsewhere.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Sounds like he's going to step down. 

"Doug Collins has informed Philadelphia 76ers ownership that he will not return as coach next season." - Woj

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
come back to the D

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
It's pretty ridiculous how he's being pushed out there. I don't know much about them, was the off-season trades his doing or management? 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd guess management.  I don't think people appreciate his approach to coaching, being a hard ass and all.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Because it doesn't work anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%