70 HR's or .401 AVG

In one season, would you rather hit 70 homers or bat for an average of .401?

• Total voters

HitmanCapone

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
70 homeruns because that's actual runs scored and you win games by scoring runs, not by an average. Just look at how many guys have high OBP but can't do jack with a bat.
A batting average of .400 is hardly doing anything with the bat, I kind of notice that's why you said OBP however this wasn't a question of OBP it was your actual batting average and if you're batting .400 you've doing amazing things with the stick in your hands

RickD

Reaction score
Everyone would question 70 HR. You would always be thought of as a potential cheater and to be frank, the HR isn't as special now because of that.

Batting .401 though, I mean you would be feted by the media and fans alike. You would be compared to Ted Williams! You would be the KING!

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Batting .401 is also impressive, but there's also the fact that a 70 homerun hitter is going to draw a lot of walks no matter what (some intentional). That will drive up the OBP considerably.

A .400 hitter will also likely get on base, but they may not warrant the same degree of intentional walks.

C-Dub

Reaction score
RickD said:
Any doped up player can hit 70 HR....now to actually bat .401...that's what I would prefer.
Then how come only 2 guys have done it?

RickD

Reaction score
True but lots of fuys have hit 50 or 60. ALl I am saying is it is not really a special achievement any more with all the doping. .401 is more special IMO

Reaction score
Not only would 70 homers be questioned more, .401 actually shows that you're consistently doing something other than jacking the ball over the fence.

C-Dub

Reaction score
RickD said:
True but lots of fuys have hit 50 or 60. ALl I am saying is it is not really a special achievement any more with all the doping. .401 is more special IMO
I agree hitting .400 is more impressive, but 70 jacks isn't just a throw away stat.

RickD

Reaction score
C-Dub said:
I agree hitting .400 is more impressive, but 70 jacks isn't just a throw away stat.
Not a throw away stat for sure but if I was a manager I would rather have a .401 hitter than a 70 HR guy!

MattMac124

Reaction score
BrewCrewFan said:
One of the things I really like about this site. No big fights, people disagreeing but at least not insulting each other. A lot of good baseball fans here who are good posters like: [MENTION=52]baseballchampion[/MENTION] [MENTION=387]Jeff[/MENTION] [MENTION=395]brett05[/MENTION] [MENTION=362]Anfield[/MENTION] [MENTION=151]GMF[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]Scott[/MENTION] [MENTION=14]cavsfan817[/MENTION] [MENTION=12]Stray32[/MENTION] [MENTION=51]catman[/MENTION] [MENTION=97]cole[/MENTION] [MENTION=359]Ian[/MENTION] [MENTION=206]Nonsense[/MENTION] [MENTION=29]HitmanCapone[/MENTION] [MENTION=391]Mudge[/MENTION] [MENTION=156]RickD[/MENTION] [MENTION=138]tbuc[/MENTION] [MENTION=23]lilbravesfan22[/MENTION] [MENTION=22]RainDelay[/MENTION] [MENTION=432]semperty[/MENTION] jz [MENTION=206]Nonsense[/MENTION] @Pharaoah [MENTION=54]Hopesfail[/MENTION] [MENTION=27]Brandon[/MENTION] [MENTION=51]catman[/MENTION] [MENTION=368]PWNdroia[/MENTION]

Might not have the biggest site, but a lot of quality posters.
bruh

SC3

Reaction score
Gimme 70. Chicks dig the long ball and so do I

Stray32

Reaction score
Idgaf about guys questioning whether or not I'm juicing, I'd know I'm not and that I'm one of the best power hitters of all time. Ideally I'd be Miguel Cabrera and be great in both areas but if its one or the other I'm going 70 homers. Would love the feeling of watching the ball soar out of the park 70 times and everything else that'd come with being such a feared hitter (including plenty of walks)

catman said:
A person that hits .401 is going to need some infield hits, so he will be able to run a bit. Someone that gets on base half of their ABs and is not a base-clogger is much more valuable than someone that just hits homers. That person can be pitched around. If you walk someone that can run, you may as well give them second base. They are likely pretty good at stealing bases.
That's one way to batting for average but not the only one, just like being a power hitter does not necessarily mean being a base-clogger. You can't necessarily draw that connection between hitting style and running ability

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%