70 HR's or .401 AVG

In one season, would you rather hit 70 homers or bat for an average of .401?

• Total voters

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
If you could hit either 70 HR's or hit .401 average which would you rather do?

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
If much rather hit .401. With that kind of average you are doing so much. Driving in runs, getting on base, dingers with it. 70 home runs just means that, probably driving in runs, but what else?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
70 homeruns because that's actual runs scored and you win games by scoring runs, not by an average. Just look at how many guys have high OBP but can't do jack with a bat.

Hopesfail

Reaction score
Getting on base almost half the time I would say is more useful and beneficial to the team than a guy who is straight power guy. Unless 70HR is also hitting 300, then we might have a different conversation.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Hopesfail said:
Getting on base almost half the time I would say is more useful and beneficial to the team than a guy who is straight power guy. Unless 70HR is also hitting 300, then we might have a different conversation.
You don't win by getting guys on base. You win by driving them in.

OBP is important, but sometimes too much OBP means getting on base but not getting guys to drive in runs.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Already seen Bonds clubs over 70 dingers in this lifetime...

RickD

Reaction score
Any doped up player can hit 70 HR....now to actually bat .401...that's what I would prefer.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
You don't win by getting guys on base. You win by driving them in.

OBP is important, but sometimes too much OBP means getting on base but not getting guys to drive in runs.
What happens if nobody is on base when they hit those home runs? Games aren't always 1-0.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Allen said:
What happens if nobody is on base when they hit those home runs? Games aren't always 1-0.

It goes both ways. You still need to get on base, yes, but I've watched teams get so many guys on base but not even be able to bring anyone home.

axman15

Reaction score
If you're hitting 70 home runs, there is a good chance you're average will be over .300, and with all the walks you're OBP will likely be quite high as well. Look at the year Barry hit 70, he was on base over 50% of the time.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
axman15 said:
If you're hitting 70 home runs, there is a good chance you're average will be over .300, and with all the walks you're OBP will likely be quite high as well. Look at the year Barry hit 70, he was on base over 50% of the time.
That was also Barry Bonds, just add up to 70 home runs to any Chris Davis season...not that great.

axman15

Reaction score
Allen said:
That was also Barry Bonds, just add up to 70 home runs to any Chris Davis season...not that great.

There's a bigger difference between 50 home runs and 70 home runs than you think, not only in skill but it's so much more intimidating.

This doesn't account for so much in terms of player specifics. What if the .400 hitter is someone with decent, but not exceptional speed, no power, and plays on a bad team that can't score runs?

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
axman15 said:
There's a bigger difference between 50 home runs and 70 home runs than you think, not only in skill but it's so much more intimidating.

This doesn't account for so much in terms of player specifics. What if the .400 hitter is someone with decent, but not exceptional speed, no power, and plays on a bad team that can't score runs?
These are both flawed statistics :) I am honestly just playing Devils advocate in many of these discussions because there is no right or wrong answer.

axman15

Reaction score
Allen said:
These are both flawed statistics :) I am honestly just playing Devils advocate in many of these discussions because there is no right or wrong answer.

Same, I like having discussions like this. It's nice to be able to talk with knowledge able sports fans.

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
One of the things I really like about this site. No big fights, people disagreeing but at least not insulting each other. A lot of good baseball fans here who are good posters like: [MENTION=52]baseballchampion[/MENTION] [MENTION=387]Jeff[/MENTION] [MENTION=395]brett05[/MENTION] [MENTION=362]Anfield[/MENTION] [MENTION=151]GMF[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]Scott[/MENTION] [MENTION=14]cavsfan817[/MENTION] [MENTION=12]Stray32[/MENTION] [MENTION=51]catman[/MENTION] [MENTION=97]cole[/MENTION] [MENTION=359]Ian[/MENTION] [MENTION=206]Nonsense[/MENTION] [MENTION=29]HitmanCapone[/MENTION] [MENTION=391]Mudge[/MENTION] [MENTION=156]RickD[/MENTION] [MENTION=138]tbuc[/MENTION] [MENTION=23]lilbravesfan22[/MENTION] [MENTION=22]RainDelay[/MENTION] [MENTION=432]semperty[/MENTION] jz [MENTION=206]Nonsense[/MENTION] @Pharaoah [MENTION=54]Hopesfail[/MENTION] [MENTION=27]Brandon[/MENTION] [MENTION=51]catman[/MENTION] [MENTION=368]PWNdroia[/MENTION]

Might not have the biggest site, but a lot of quality posters.

catman

Reaction score
A person that hits .401 is going to need some infield hits, so he will be able to run a bit. Someone that gets on base half of their ABs and is not a base-clogger is much more valuable than someone that just hits homers. That person can be pitched around. If you walk someone that can run, you may as well give them second base. They are likely pretty good at stealing bases.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
RickD said:
Any doped up player can hit 70 HR....now to actually bat .401...that's what I would prefer.
That's what I was thinking. If I hit 70 home runs people would be constantly speculating that I was juicing. But if you hit for a .401 avg or higher there would be more praise than speculation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
And there's no right or wrong answer. It's a question of personal preference. Would you rather be the 3rd person to hit 70s home runs, or the first since 1941 to hit for a .401 average?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
I think batting .401 would be a better improvement for the team

Imagine the OBP of a guy hitting .401, also a lot of those hits will come with guys on base and a few HR as well

Nonsense

Reaction score
I went with 70 dingers. It's more of a selfish state compared to average, but I feel it would garner more attention, and be a lot funner to be able to smack that many homers than squeezing out a base hit here and there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%