5 Teams That Need To Start Wearing 3rd Jersey Full Time

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Thought this was a pretty cool topic from puckdaddy:

I like third jerseys. I like the idea of them.

On one hand, of course, they're little more than a cash grab, an opportunity for a team to hang another merchandise option in their store, something that might casual the eye of the casual shopper, or suck in the collectors who can't help themselves from buying every jersey a team makes available.

But on the other hand, they're an opportunity for teams to experiment with their look, to see if they can't find something else to either add to or improve upon the look of their franchise.

Occasionally, this goes horribly wrong. There are some truly terrible third jerseys in the NHL. TheNew York Islanders' third come to mind, which is unfortunate, because now I'm picturing it.

But when it works, it really works. There are some great third jerseys in the NHL. In fact, there are a few nice enough that, if I had my way, the teams would simply promote them into regular use.

Five, to be exact. And they are as follows:

http://sports.yahoo....51002--nhl.html

Agree with all thumbs up on this. The Flames looks so much better w/o all that black in their color scheme & the Jackets look so much less like All Star uniforms when they go with their 3rds. I actually think the cannon pays a certain homage to US history and the crest looks really good on a sweater.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Why won't this garbage editor actually show photos??

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score
Wish the images actually worked. The page won't even load on my google chrome right now either. What the fuck.

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score
Here are my agrees and disagree:

1) Columbus - stick with their jerseys. They are nice. Don't like the 3rd jerseys at all. The 3rd ones actually look similar to the winnipeg ones in color. The red shorts look nice.

2) Minnesota - Change. Those 3rd jerseys are beautiful. The green really is nice and adds to the "wild" look. The red just makes them stand out too much and don't really look that cool on the ice.

3) Calgary - Stick- The black makes it looks really nice. Don't enjoy their 3rd jerseys. Too much light, bright red and orange.

4) Vancouver - Stick. They look similar. Don't change it. The only thing you're really changing is the logo. It doesn't look that cluttered at all.

5) St. Louis -.This is the toughest one. Stick. Reason? Just because their would be too many teams with the same navy blue color. The logo is beautiful and the 3rd jersey also has a nice logo as well, but the most distinguishing thing for me is that the "Blues" just reminds me of a smooth melody and I see the brighter color as more telling to their name.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
See I'm a traditionalist when it comes to uniforms, (i.e. Alabama, Yankees, Packers, etc), so I love how Calgary and Vancouver's 3rd sweaters are the classic designs of back when. I've never been a fan of the Nucks' orca and the black in Calgary...meh.....black is so overplayed in uniforms these days. I'm a big fan of the crest and colors of Jackets' 3rd sweaters but I would agree the overall design needs some work and I hate the clunky, block numbers.

Mr.Baller

Reaction score
Damn I never realized that third jersey from the Blues, really sick !

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If Minny got rid of the vintage white on their third and adapted a road version they'd have some of the best uni's in the league imo.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
I would love to see Vancouver and Calgary go to those jerseys full time

Steez

Reaction score
See I'm a traditionalist when it comes to uniforms, (i.e. Alabama, Yankees, Packers, etc), so I love how Calgary and Vancouver's 3rd sweaters are the classic designs of back when. I've never been a fan of the Nucks' orca and the black in Calgary...meh.....black is so overplayed in uniforms these days. I'm a big fan of the crest and colors of Jackets' 3rd sweaters but I would agree the overall design needs some work and I hate the clunky, block numbers.
Same here. Not a huge fan of "modern" looking hockey jerseys. I think the Whalers jerseys are my favorite of all time. Old school Winnipeg are cool as shit too.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I think it was Yahoo! not letting you hyperlink the images or something like that. Needless to say, I re-uploaded the images and edited your post AE

East

Legends Live Forever
Reaction score
The Blues should stick, I love their jerseys

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
not on the list but tampa downgraded huge with their new uni's, and ripped off electrics logo.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
not on the list but tampa downgraded huge with their new uni's, and ripped off electrics logo.
Agreed. Their old logo & uniforms finally grew on me, only to see them flip to these superhero-wannabe-looking joints they've got now.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
like how in any way is that an upgrade. tampa essentially ruined a classic logo in my eyes.

Rice18

I'm emotionally vested in me.
Reaction score
Tampa Bay has been together since 1992, I doubt they would rip a not so known brands logo.

I would love if the Wild were to switch jerseys, would make them have one of the best in the league if not the best.

Mooche

Reaction score
I love the Columbus and Minnesota alternate jerseys.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Agree with all but the last one. I think St. Louis should go with an updated version of their old jerseys. Also, I'm not a fan of CBJ's alternate logo.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
im tired of these fake retro jerseys. dark blue with a circle logo and tie string? cause that hasnt been done a shitload.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%