2018 MLB Playoff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudge

Reaction score
As good as they are, the Astros did not so much win Game 1 as the Red Sox lost it.

It was just a bad, bad overall performance for Boston.

First off, 10 walks (plus 3 hit batsmen) is simply unconscionable for a team in the ALCS.

Not only that, the defense was not sharp (Nunez especially had a tough time at the hot corner leading to that crucial go-ahead run in the sixth), their focus was off (look at Martinez not running out a dropped third strike), and as expected, their bullpen was the weaker of the two and, to top it off, it was Fenway Park and that quirky right field (that X-factor) that helped secure the game for Houston.

The called third strike to Benintendi on a 3-2 pitch with the bases loaded in the 5th was probably the turning point (it was a ball, but it was also too close to take under those conditions).

CoachAF

Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
The zone also being shit doesn't help.

Look at Verlander's called third strike to Pearce.

https://twitter.com/alexspeier/status/1051275502349115392

Ump was very consistent all night. He was giving the pitchers a couple inches on the outside corner. It burned the Astros hitters a couple times too. I dont mind a funky zone as long as it is consistent and fair to both teams. 

.ptt81 said:
This ball is the worst call i've seen in my life. Like I get he missed his spot, but come on, it's right down the pipe.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1051297671435231233

The catcher jumping up in the way of the ump doesnt help him make the call. Even the guys in the booth mentioned that after that pitch. The AB resulted in an out anyways.

CoachAF

Reaction score
Lots of people here in Houston calling for the series to end in 5. I just don't see it. The Red Sox are too talented for that. If the Astros win today, then I guess it's more possible but I still think it'll be in 6

CoachAF

Reaction score
Mudge said:
As good as they are, the Astros did not so much win Game 1 as the Red Sox lost it.

It was just a bad, bad overall performance for Boston.

First off, 10 walks (plus 3 hit batsmen) is simply unconscionable for a team in the ALCS.

Not only that, the defense was not sharp (Nunez especially had a tough time at the hot corner leading to that crucial go-ahead run in the sixth), their focus was off (look at Martinez not running out a dropped third strike), and as expected, their bullpen was the weaker of the two and, to top it off, it was Fenway Park and that quirky right field (that X-factor) that helped secure the game for Houston.

The called third strike to Benintendi on a 3-2 pitch with the bases loaded in the 5th was probably the turning point (it was a ball, but it was also too close to take under those conditions).

It was a poor performance for both teams until the end when the Astros pulled away. I think there was a total of 4 hits through 6 innings? Verlander walking 3 in an inning. I believe that's the first time he has done that all year. Gurriel was a pitiful 0-4 with some RBI shots in there before hitting his HR late in the game. Both teams weren't fully awake for this game. Today's might be more of a slugfest. Then again, Cole was lights out his last outing. 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Coach said:

Ump was very consistent all night. He was giving the pitchers a couple inches on the outside corner. It burned the Astros hitters a couple times too. I dont mind a funky zone as long as it is consistent and fair to both teams. 

Oh I so disagree lol. He gave Verlander strikes that he was calling balls for Sale and Barnes, and its extremely evident by the 10 walks in the game. He called an incredibly biased strike zone all game.

Now Im not complaining about the Kelly strike over the middle of the plate, because thats on Vazquez for fucking up the framing. But Bennys strikeout was fucking bullshit and completely changed the games outcome

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
That being said, idk why we went to Workman over Hembree in the 9th (for the past 6 years I still don't understand why Workman is on the roster)

Vazquez is not a good catcher (I get the merit of pinch hitting Moreland in that situation, it was the right call, it just sucks that our backup catcher isnt that good behind the plate)

and for the love of god PLEASE stop playing Eduardo Nunez. He fucked up like 2-3 times defensively, still cannot hit the ball... like fucking play Devers and let the kid grow. Or put in Kinsler for actual defensive play, since his offense is no worse than Nunez's. The literal difference between this game (sans the 3 run homer in the 9th) was that every ground ball to 3rd we fucked up, where as Bregman saved probably 5+ hits last night with his stellar defense. He was clearly the MVP of last night.

CoachAF

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Oh I so disagree lol. He gave Verlander strikes that he was calling balls for Sale and Barnes, and its extremely evident by the 10 walks in the game. He called an incredibly biased strike zone all game.

Now Im not complaining about the Kelly strike over the middle of the plate, because thats on Vazquez for fucking up the framing. But Bennys strikeout was fucking bullshit and completely changed the games outcome

the high number of walks in the game could be because Sale couldnt find the strike zone until the 4th inning...

Mudge

Reaction score
Coach said:
the high number of walks in the game could be because Sale couldnt find the strike zone until the 4th inning...
Yeah. Most of Sales walks were clear.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm all for questioning why you put in Workman over Hembree. I'm also all for questioning why even have Workman at all, though I'd say that what's available as an alternative isn't much better.

But I'm honestly not gonna fault the homer on solely him. It wasn't a terrible pitch and it doesn't get out in most stadiums.

Mudge

Reaction score
The Guid said:
I'm all for questioning why you put in Workman over Hembree. I'm also all for questioning why even have Workman at all, though I'd say that what's available as an alternative isn't much better.

But I'm honestly not gonna fault the homer on solely him. It wasn't a terrible pitch and it doesn't get out in most stadiums.
Good point. The pitch was exactly where they wanted it. Just chalk it up to the Fenway factor — you live by the sword; you die by the sword.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Poor Price

Its like kershaw. Sometimes its his fault but sometimes its the defense or cheap hits but the narrative never dies

Mudge

Reaction score
Well, it was a good regular season at least, but the Red Sox look totally overmatched in this ALCS.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Kershaw and Price are the same damn

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Coach said:
Omg yall. Game 2 isnt even over!!!! Keep the faith
its not a good sign tho that Houston is hitting better than us, and the next 3 games are at Minute Maid

its not over, but its also not likely rn that we return to Fenway

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Ive said it before, but the idea of pitch framing annoys me at times. Like how is an umpire fooled by a dramatic pull ofthe glove (like 3 inches). If the catcher is moving it thatmuch, its obvious it wasnt a strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%