2017 NFL Gameday Thread

BNC

Reaction score
If the Chargers had all the momentum last night then why were the Broncos able to block the field goal? Why weren't the Chargers able to drive down and score a touchdown to end the game? I'm also going to assume that going into the fourth quarter you had thought the Broncos had all the momentum, if so where did it go? 

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BNC said:
If the Chargers had all the momentum last night then why were the Broncos able to block the field goal? Why weren't the Chargers able to drive down and score a touchdown to end the game? I'm also going to assume that going into the fourth quarter you had thought the Broncos had all the momentum, if so where did it go? 

Piss poor clock management and usages of timeouts..

Delirium

Super Legend
Reaction score
BNC said:
Momentum can change. It's called a "momentum swing".

BNC

Reaction score
Delirium said:
Momentum can change. It's called a "momentum swing".
Lol, and that's the very reason it doesn't exist, because every time it gets pointed out that that the "momentum" hadn't made an impact it's because the momentum shifted. What exactly causes a momentum shift?

BNC

Reaction score
Are hockey teams that tie the game up in the final two minutes of regulation more likely to then win the game in overtime? First, I went through the regular-season box scores for each game over the past five years that went to overtime, and tracked the outcome of those that saw one (or both) teams score during the final two minutes of regulation. That gave me 260 games, of which 151 went to a shootout without any scoring during the five-minute overtime period. In the other games, the team that scored within the final two minutes of regulation went 52-57 in overtime, winning 47.7 percent of the time. That hardly suggests that their game-tying goal meant much for overtime at all. If you want to limit the study to goals from the final minute of action, teams who lit the lamp with 60 seconds or less to go went a virtually identical 31-34 (yes, also 47.7 percent) in overtime.

If I follow the same rules from the regular season and only consider a “momentum”-driven goal to be one scored during the first five minutes of overtime after a goal during the final two minutes of regulation, there just aren’t many games to look at. Even going back all the way to the lost season of 2004-05, there are only 12 such playoff games, but in those games, the team that scored at the end of regulation went 9-3 in overtime. In any case, combine the regular season and playoff studies, and you find that teams who have scored at the end of regulation are a combined 61-60 in games that were decided during the subsequent five minutes of overtime. I don’t think that suggests that momentum means very much at all heading into hockey OT.

http://grantland.com/features/bill-barnwell-theory-momentum-football/

This article ( http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nomentum-in-sports-part-2/ ) discusses the logical reason, or lack thereof, that goes into believing in momentum. 

BNC

Reaction score
A lack of anything to back up your claims results in the only possible response: "Lmao". Which is better than no response... I think

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
You're trying so hard to be a troll right now...

BNC

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
You're trying so hard to be a troll right now...
I'm not trolling, momentum does not exist. It's a convenient cliched argument supported solely by confirmation bias.

And you still haven't provided an intelligent, thought out response as to why guys like Bortles, Hoyer and Glennon are better QBs than Kaep.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BNC has the worst Kyrie agenda but I agree with him on momentum

BNC

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only sane one in here. 

Not an agenda though I just hate his play style and think some people tend to overrate him a little. 

And don't worry bosox I'm not expecting you to come up with any actual good takes on Kaepernick

Delirium

Super Legend
Reaction score
BNC said:
I'm not trolling, momentum does not exist. It's a convenient cliched argument supported solely by confirmation bias.
It's not an argument, it's an observation of the events that happen during a game. It's not some magical force, it's just that logically when teams get an advantage, it's easier to maintain it. That doesn't mean it can't shift to the other side, but how often does a team blow a 3-1 or 28-3 lead? If momentum "didn't exist" then teams would come back on leads all the time. I guess "clutch time" doesn't exist anymore either, right? Points matter just as much early on as late in the game, right? No such thing as added psychological pressure that's put on during the last moments of a game, and no such thing as a similar pressure of lack of pressure when things start going right for one team.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
BNC said:
I'm glad I'm not the only sane one in here. 

Not an agenda though I just hate his play style and think some people tend to overrate him a little. 

And don't worry bosox I'm not expecting you to come up with any actual good takes on Kaepernick
lol you tool im at work and havent been on my laptop in days

im not gonna breakdown all22 film on an iphone smh

BNC

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
lol you tool im at work and havent been on my laptop in days

im not gonna breakdown all22 film on an iphone smh
And you've posted on here several times since. I am very much looking forward to the breakdown of Bortles being better

BNC

Reaction score
Delirium said:
It's not an argument, it's an observation of the events that happen during a game. It's not some magical force, it's just that logically when teams get an advantage, it's easier to maintain it. That doesn't mean it can't shift to the other side, but how often does a team blow a 3-1 or 28-3 lead? If momentum "didn't exist" then teams would come back on leads all the time. I guess "clutch time" doesn't exist anymore either, right? Points matter just as much early on as late in the game, right? No such thing as added psychological pressure that's put on during the last moments of a game, and no such thing as a similar pressure of lack of pressure when things start going right for one team.
So you think the reasons teams don't blow 3-1 or 28-3 leads very often is because they have the "momentum" and not because they're simply better? 

Delirium

Super Legend
Reaction score
BNC said:
So you think the reasons teams don't blow 3-1 or 28-3 leads very often is because they have the "momentum" and not because they're simply better? 
In those particular cases, were they better though? Obviously not too much better if they lost......they had the momentum early on and lost it. In most cases when teams are getting blown out momentum is irrelevant because of the difference in talent. But in a closely contested game or series, a few big plays here and there change everything up. That "momentum swing" is the difference between one team being blown out in one game and then coming back and blowing the other team out the next game like the Cavs and Warriors have done.

BNC

Reaction score
Delirium said:
In those particular cases, were they better though? Obviously not too much better if they lost......they had the momentum early on and lost it. In most cases when teams are getting blown out momentum is irrelevant because of the difference in talent. But in a closely contested game or series, a few big plays here and there change everything up. That "momentum swing" is the difference between one team being blown out in one game and then coming back and blowing the other team out the next game like the Cavs and Warriors have done.
Wouldn't that suggest to you that momentum just does not exist? Like the Spurs Heat 2013 finals, every time it would appear that someone had "gained momentum" they were blown out the next game, what good was that momentum if they just lost the next game by 25? Momentum can't be applied conveniently on a case by case basis, it either exists or it doesn't 

Delirium

Super Legend
Reaction score
BNC said:
Wouldn't that suggest to you that momentum just does not exist? Like the Spurs Heat 2013 finals, every time it would appear that someone had "gained momentum" they were blown out the next game, what good was that momentum if they just lost the next game by 25? Momentum can't be applied conveniently on a case by case basis, it either exists or it doesn't 
You seem to think "momentum" is the cause- I'm saying it's the effect. When a team makes big plays and takes an advantage, that is the momentum. Momentum is an observation. Just because a team has it at a point in time doesn't mean they'll keep it. It's common sense that when a team has some kind of advantage, it's a little harder for the other team to overcome it, due to the score or because players get less confident or start trying too hard or whatever. To say they have momentum is to note that they've taken an advantage, and if the other team makes big plays to even it back up, they've taken the momentum.

BNC

Reaction score
Delirium said:
You seem to think "momentum" is the cause- I'm saying it's the effect. When a team makes big plays and takes an advantage, that is the momentum. Momentum is an observation. Just because a team has it at a point in time doesn't mean they'll keep it. It's common sense that when a team has some kind of advantage, it's a little harder for the other team to overcome it, due to the score or because players get less confident or start trying too hard or whatever. To say they have momentum is to note that they've taken an advantage, and if the other team makes big plays to even it back up, they've taken the momentum.
You seem to have a different definition of the term than most other people. What you've explained here is just a team going on a run

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%