2015-16 GM of the Year

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Voting for 2015-16 GM of the Year is now open. Please send your votes to @CameronCrazy06 via PM *ON THIS SITE*. I would encourage anyone who feels they deserve the award to make a case for themselves, and for everybody to wait to hear said cases before casting your vote. The more discussion/debate we get in this thread, the better.

While you can make a case for yourself, you cannot vote for yourself.

Voting will close when the playoffs begin. It's a regular season award. Always a chance you could get paid for voting, so you should vote. Just fucking vote.

Past Winners:

2014-15: CameronCrazy06
2013-14: DJT
2012-13: Cheddar
2011-12: .G9
2010-11: daulten780

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Leaning one way but kinda want to see if people are going to try to persuade me this year.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
me because im a man of the people.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i am definitely open to reading some pitches because i dont have any one gm in mind.

daulten780

Members
Reaction score
I think that I should be in the running for GMOTY for my continued improvement over the last several seasons. As I've made clear, I am never afraid to make a move and shake up my team if I think it will improve me, short term or long term. In many of my moves this year, I feel like I've done both to an extent. Unlike many other contenders in the running for the title this year, they may have trouble keeping their core together, with several of their players on expiring deals. In my case, the only player that I'm concerned about re-signing is Evan Fournier- the rest are on four year deals.

My lineup last year was IT/Lowry/Kobe/Davis/Jordan.

Through the offseason and through the regular season, I made many trades that both improved my starting lineup and my depth on the bench.

• I was able to flip an expiring Deandre Jordan for Nerlens Noel, who has the potential to be better than DJ with more team control. I flipped Noel, who though he has potential, was very raw for a proven point guard, George Hill. Hill was a player who was an excellent fit for my team, being able to pass, defend, and shoot with the best of them.
  • I traded Kobe, a useful player though he is aging, into Bogut, one of the top defenders in the league, a player who can both block shots and rebound.
  • Now having Hill, I decided that having three all star point guards wasn't the best fit. I traded IT for Wilson Chandler, a player who scores an efficient 20 ppg no matter what option he is at while also playing excellent defense.
  • In hindsight, this may not have been the best move to make, but at the time it made sense for my team. I made an upgrade at both positions I felt, trading Chandler and Bogut for Gortat and Carmelo, a finals MVP who was averaging 30ppg just the year before. I thought he would be a great addition and first option on the Suns.

My team started out fairly well, a top 4 seed, but I continued to shop my players around seeing if I could improve the structure of my team.
  • I traded the expiring Hill (who I earlier traded for Noel) and Ed Davis for John Wall, one of the top young players in the league who was on a long term deal.
  • I saw a chance to get further value out of Wall, as well as Hill and Davis, trading him for a 20ppg scorer in Marcus Thornton, the multiple time DPOY and arguably best big man in the league, Serge Ibaka, along with a solid young guard in DJ Augustine. I was able to turn one great player into another great player + 2 good pieces.
 Throughout the season, Carmelo wasn't working out for my team, and with his expiring contract coming up I knew that I needed to move him before the deadline. 
  • I traded Melo for Derozan, who then got turned into Rudy Gay, Patty Mills, and the very promising Gary Harris. Through Carmelo, I gained another 25ppg scorer who is already on a long term deal, one of the top backup point guards available and a starting caliber guard who is still on his rookie deal.

Throughout the season and through my moves, I put myself in a position to trade for a superstar. By getting Paul George who is also on a long term deal, I feel that I was able to do that. At 25 and already performing the way he is, I think that PG will be a very easy player to build around.

In my final move of the season, I traded Thornton, who while performing nicely in a 3rd option role for me, was on a contract that I wasn't happy with. I traded him along with the expiring Faried for more players on long term deals that can surely help me win in Okafor and Granger, increasing both my ability to win now and my long term flexibility. 

I transformed my team over the last few seasons, especially this one. Even as I was winning games, I always tried to get great value on my players, trying to get better assets on my team. Having the third best record in the league without having an established superstar at the beginning of the year, I think that I should be among the front runners for GMOTY when considering the moves I made this year.

Bozo The Clown

Reaction score
lol

I had the best team in the league by record / point differential / probably on paper based off roster as well imo from 21-59 (the period of time when I had all 5 starters healthy). Was 26-5. Thats on pace for a 69-13 season (69 heehee nice). If it werent for injuries, we might have been able to see if I could keep that pace for the 67 games after I made the big CP3 and JaVale move.

Oh yeah, and Ive won less than 30 games over the last two seasons combined.

Wasnt going to post anything since people have their opinions but I realized how little I paid attention to top team records during my tank years. So I guess its only fair.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I traded almost everything for KD, then PG for Lowry and Ibaka and barely made 8th seed.

Oh this isn't group therapy? Nvm then

daulten780

Members
Reaction score
GMOTY said:
lol

I had the best team in the league by record / point differential / probably on paper based off roster as well imo from 21-59 (the period of time when I had all 5 starters healthy). Was 26-5. Thats on pace for a 69-13 season (69 heehee nice). If it werent for injuries, we might have been able to see if I could keep that pace for the 67 games after I made the big CP3 and JaVale move.

Oh yeah, and Ive won less than 30 games over the last two seasons combined.

Wasnt going to post anything since people have their opinions but I realized how little I paid attention to top team records during my tank years. So I guess its only fair.
I don't think it's fair to compare your tanking record to your record now considering you traded that young talent away for those stars. Of course there's gonna be a big difference when you're sacrificing youth- still, you made great moves and had a massive improvement. 

Bozo The Clown

Reaction score
daulten780 said:
I don't think it's fair to compare your tanking record to your record now considering you traded that young talent away for those stars. Of course there's gonna be a big difference when you're sacrificing youth- still, you made great moves and had a massive improvement.
I kept Towns and Beal, I moved Booker/Jokic/Smart/McLemore/other scrubs.

Would you have preferred if I didn’t try to get better this year and just developed talent while going 30-52?

daulten780

Members
Reaction score
GMOTY said:
I kept Towns and Beal, I moved Booker/Jokic/Smart/McLemore/other scrubs.

Would you have preferred if I didnt try to get better this year and just developed talent while going 30-52?
It was a good move but you cant say how you won 20 games last year. They were two completely separate teams as you sacrificed youth to win this year by trading players picked at #2, #3 and #6 in the last two years

Bozo The Clown

Reaction score
daulten780 said:
It was a good move but you cant say how you won 20 games last year. They were two completely separate teams as you sacrificed youth to win this year by trading players picked at #2, #3 and #6 in the last two years
Are you arguing for me or against me lol

the award is for what you did this year. if i was asleep at the wheel, i'd have won 20-30 games again probably

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
daulten780 said:
youre helping his case

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Congratulations @[member=GMOTY] for winning 2015-16 GM of the Year.

Full Voting:

GMOTY (8)
brackattack (2)
$tunna (1)
CameronCrazy06 (1)

Claim $1 if you voted.

Bozo The Clown

Reaction score
Yo thanks for allowing my name to have a meaning now amigos. I voted Brack fwiw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%