2012 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Mr.Baller

Reaction score

With the NHL Trade Deadline only weeks away, teams are making decisions on whether to buy or sell and deciding which players can make the biggest difference or hold the greatest value.

Check out today's trade rumours and speculation from around the NHL beat. And follow TSN.ca each day until Deadline Day for all the updates.

The First Domino?

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger and NHL broadcaster Pierre McGuire were on the NHL on TSN panel on Sunday and the two discussed what could happen leading up to, and on, deadline day.

Dreger believes that this could be the week that Carolina Hurricanes forward Tuomo Ruutu gets dealt, as there are reports out of Carolina that the club would like to make a move sooner rather than later.

McGuire says that he expects the power brokers in the West, Detroit, Chicago and Vancouver, along with Nashville and the New York Rangers and Penguins in the East to drive the trade market as they make a push to win the Stanley Cup.

Watch it here.

Just the Beginning?

While the Chicago Blackhawks added Brendan Morrison from the Calgary Flames on Friday night, the club is apparently not done trying to make deals.

According to Tracey Myers of Comcast Sports Network, general manager Stan Bowman has said that he's looking for a defenceman before the deadline.

Read the full report here.

Toughening Up?

The Detroit Red Wings open the second half of the season as the top team in the league, and not surprisingly they're looking to add some talent at, or before, the trade deadline.

Gregg Krupa of the The Detroit News reports that the club is looking to get tougher with the playoffs looming, and head coach Mike Babcock revealed his wish-list.

"To me, if we could get another heavy winger, or heavy forward, or D - those would all be good things to help you," Babcock told the News.

The Waiting Game

While the fourth-place in the West St. Louis Blues could use some more offence up front, they might not be ready to make a deal just yet.

According to Norm Sanders of Belleville News-Democrat, the club will likely wait to see what they can get from Alex Steen and Andy McDonald before making a move. Steen is still out with a concussion, while McDonald was activated from the IR over the weekend.

- TSN

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Edited topic title. Use this to post any trade deadline related news or info.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
San Jose Mercury News - Sharks GM Doug Wilson is tight-lipped all year, but even more so now with the Feb. 27 trade deadline less than three weeks away.

"Once we get in this month," Wilson said Monday, "I don't make any comment about anything."

Wilson will not address rumors. And beyond his standard response -- "We look every day for ways to improve this hockey team" -- he won't spell out his priorities, because that might cost him leverage. But here's some educated speculation:

San Jose should not be focused on adding a depth defenseman or a fourth-line grinder. Right now, the Sharks should be looking for a proven scorer for one of their top two forward lines.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm hoping the Pens can add some type of player to push them over the hump, especially if Crosby won't be back anytime soon.

iInsulin

Reaction score
Here we go

San Jose gets:
Dominic Moore, F
2012 seventh-round pick

Tampa Bay gets:
2012 second-round pick

Philadelphia gets:
Nicklas Grossman, D

Dallas gets:
2012 second-round pick
2013 third-round pick

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
I hope the Rangers stick with what they have, I think it would be better to stay away from Nash.

iInsulin

Reaction score
If the Rangers were just a little less dominant this season, especially over the Flyers, I would jump all over a deal around Dubinsky, Kreider, and picks. But with the way you've been playing I wouldn't mess with it either.

Supposedly the Flyers aren't even on Nash's list which I love because although I know he's super talented, I don't want him. But his list includes the Bruins, Kings, Rangers, Sharks and Maple Leafs.

Luke Schenn was also a healthy scratch last night. Not exactly the best way to raise the stock on a guy a lot of teams would be interested in.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Press Release - Predators President of Hockey Operations/GM David Poile announced today that the club has acquired veteran defenseman Hal Gill and a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2013 Entry Draft from the Canadiens in exchange for a second-round pick in the 2012 Entry Draft and forwards Blake Geoffrion and Robert Slaney. He is expected to meet the team today in Detroit.

"Hal Gill brings our team a number of elements: size, penalty-killing ability, depth on defense and playoff experience," Poile said. "He has won a Stanley Cup and played a combined 69 playoff games over the last four years, experience that significantly benefits our team."

Gill has suited up for 1,047 regular-season games and 105 playoff contests since 1997-98 , more than any player currently on the Predators roster.

iInsulin

Reaction score
Philadelphia gets:
Pavel Kubina, D

Tampa Bay gets:
Conditional second-round pick
2013 fourth-round pick

Puts the Flyers at 51 contracts. Will have to make a move and now word is that they are in on Nash. Praying that does not happen seeing how it starts around JVR and one of Schenn/Couturier. Please no.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
According to CBC’s The Hot Stove, Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson is seeking two prospects, a player that can make an immediate impact, and a first round draft pick for Rick Nash. That’s a steep price, but it’s worth noting that Columbus isn’t just looking to trade their best player, they’re talking about parting ways with the face of the franchise. This is a team that some casual hockey fans might only be able to identify as the one that Nash plays for. If they trade Nash, what they get back in the deal could have a significant impact on the long-term success of their franchise.

That being said, asking prices tend to be higher than what’s actually agreed upon. Howson might be willing to settle for less, especially if the market for Nash isn’t as big as he might have hoped. Then again, Howson might be comfortable with holding onto Nash until at least the summer even if he is reportedly unhappy. We’ll know one way or the other soon enough.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dennis Bernstein @DennisTFP
Bob McKenzie says Kings inching to lead on Rick Nash. Our take is major factor is NYR refusal to put Derek Stepan into the bargain.
Good on CBJ for not backing down on price. Probably even better for NYR to refuse.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I would be reluctant to make a huge move like this if I was the Rangers as well. They have a chance at the Cup this year, you don't want to mess that up by making a blockbuster like this.

iInsulin

Reaction score
Yeah last night it looked like Schenn and Couturier were taken out of talks, but now I'm reading that only way Columbus does this is if they get one of them. I don't think a team like the Flyers, Rangers, or Bruins are going to overpay for him right now. If he makes it through the deadline though I expect a lot of the better teams in the NHL will get involved.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Lightning traded forward Steve Downie to the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for defenseman Kyle Quincey. Tampa Bay then sent Quincey to the Detroit Red Wings in exchange for their first-round pick and Piche.

The Lightning now have two first-round picks in 2012 along with a maximum of four and a minimum of three selections in the second round.
Probably the biggest move the Wings will make at the deadline this year lol.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Never really heard of the guy. Used to play for us though, and we waived him a few seasons back. Not sure why we would deal our first round pick for him lol.

eLeMeNOhPe

Reaction score
Never really heard of the guy. Used to play for us though, and we waived him a few seasons back. Not sure why we would deal our first round pick for him lol.
He is solid now-a-days. Wings didn't want to waive him before, but they had no choice with the roadblock at defense they had

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Why/How is Scott Howson still an NHL gm?

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Carter to LA for Jack Johnson and a 1st...SMH

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CBJ could have gotten a bit more imo. At least Carter's contract is gone.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mark Spector of Sportsnet in Canada tweets that talks between the Rangers and Blue Jackets have picked up and that the latest offer is indeed a whopper.

For the Rangers to land Nash, they’d be giving up one of a pair of young defensemen in either Ryan McDonagh or Michael Del Zotto as well as a first-round pick and a prospect, namely defenseman Tim Erixon. Spector says that the Rangers feel that offer bests what the Toronto Maple Leafs could offer Columbus and puts them in the driver’s seat to land Nash.

Considering how well both McDonagh and Del Zotto have played this season for New York, the Jackets would be getting an instant young stud on the blue line. Adding Erixon would give them a potential future star as well. The first round pick makes for a nice throw in given that it’ll be a mid-to-late round pick.

The talk of late from The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline is that Nash’s camp is hoping for a quick resolution to things and they’re growing weary of the process. It doesn’t appear the two sides are long for each other. The Jackets aren’t under pressure to get a deal done at the deadline, but it could turn the summer into an endless array of discussions to land Nash if a deal isn’t done by Monday at 3 p.m.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%