2010-11 GM of the Year

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Voting for 2010-11 GM of the Year is now open. Please send your votes to me via PM *ON THIS SITE*. I would encourage anyone who feels they deserve the award to make a case for themselves, and for everybody to wait to hear said cases before casting your vote. The more discussion/debate we get in this thread, the better.

While you can make a case for yourself, you cannot vote for yourself.

Voting will close when the playoffs start.

Mentch

Some Fucking Dude
Reaction score
I mean it's pretty much brack vs everyone else on this one

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Mentch said:
I mean it's pretty much brack vs everyone else on this one
I couldn't disagree more.

He was gifted the #1 pick in a completely random trade. He had the best record in the league by far and proceeded to make multiple trades that made his team worse. I think he went something like 13-18 down the stretch if my memory serves me right. There's multiple GM's that I think are more deserving.

RN4L

Da Nation
Reaction score
Took a team with Conley and Ellis and turned into Iggy, JJ and Ellis we didnt have a lot of premium talent. Mortgaged the future on the next 2 years and Im happy to have come up with a playoff spot.

I dont expect many, if any, votes, but for not picking my own players until the 7th round of the entry draft Im happy to have the squad Im looking at now.

daulten780

Members
Reaction score
I think that I should be right up there with Brack, if not the front-runner for GM of the Year. I have the second best record in the league, and I did it without a first round draft pick (and didn't need to be gifted #1 overall :p). My roster from the beginning of the year compared to now is completely different- at the beginning of the year, my team did not have much of an identity but was still able to be quite competitive, looking to be at least a top 5 seed. I looked for more than that, and by the end of the year, the only players remaining on my team that I drafted are Odom, Okafor, and Stuckey. This team has been turned into a team that can make some serious noise in the playoffs, hopefully going all the way to the finals. At the same time, I have my entire core locked up for the next 4-5 years, so I have a lot of flexibility heading into the future.

I made several trades during the season, and I feel that I benefited from all of them (except for Iverson..)

• I turned an overpaid Baron Davis and an aging Ray Allen for Jose Calderon, 28 years old and locked up on a 3 year deal who came up #2 in the league's assist leaders while also being a great shooter. Jose was the leader of my team, allowing me to be among the top of the West until the Amar'e trade. I also gained two second rounders which I used in future trades.
  • By trading for Rashard Lewis, I was able to easily match salary in a trade for a big star rather than using multiple depth pieces (Lamar, Okur, Jermaine etc) and gained two more second rounders to be used in trade. I also dumped an overpaid Mehmet Okur in this trade.
  • The biggest move I made this season: I traded for the best big man in the league; one of the best players in general. I sacrificed two great young talents in the deal: Derrick Favors and Ty Lawson. For a player like Amar'e Stoudemire, in the middle of his prime and locked up for the next five years, it was a sacrifice I had to make in order to become a true contender this season. It paid off, with Amar'e dominating games for me and giving me an excellent two-way front court in Stoudemire and Okafor. By trading for a first team all NBA player, I was also able to dump Rashard Lewis' contract, saving me money both short term and long term. I gained Reggie Evans, a larger expiring that I wanted to use for a decent player off the bench, which I accomplished later on in the season.
  • I traded for Andrea Bargnani, another great, young addition to my front court who is on a longer deal. His inside-out ability meshes nicely with my team as he has the ability to play both the 3 and 4 depending on the situation. In this trade, I got rid of Channing Frye, a complete negative for my team.
  • Sacrificing a bit of wing depth, I added some major scoring power off of the bench, trading for Afflalo for Luis Scola. Scola is an instant bucket getter coming off the bench for my team, usually scoring in the double digits while only averaging 14 minutes a game. 
  • For $4 basically, I was able to acquire Andre Miller, a starting caliber point guard, to come off my bench, adding further depth to my team.
  • Lastly, I made a number of trades at the deadline, adding more locked-up young talent, adding Henderson, Tolliver, Gray and Quentin Richardson for second rounders. Great additions for a team that needed wing depth.
Without drafting in the first round, I was able to completely revamp my team, creating a contender through my mid season trades.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
My turn:

I'm going to start by laying out the fact that FBB is a sequence of random sims. All any GM can do is put their team in the best position possible. With that said....

We all started with 12 fantasy draft picks, one in each round. I gave up a first round pick to move up from 8 to 4 to snag Westbrook. Let's look at the rest of my main roster.

And outside of the Westbrook move, I didn't have to move a single first to do it, and I hardly moved any cash either (still made enough cash to be the second GM to camp a player). I've traded circles around some people. I've shed bad contracts. Most of my old guys are off the books after next year. I have two guys who have A potential in my starting 5. If you're looking at who's made the best moves to put their team in the best spot to win now AND later, the answer is me. Let the chips fall where they may.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
My turn:
I'm going to start by laying out the fact that FBB is a sequence of random sims. All any GM can do is put their team in the best position possible. With that said....
We all started with 12 fantasy draft picks, one in each round. I gave up a first round pick to move up from 8 to 4 to snag Westbrook. Let's look at the rest of my main roster.
And outside of the Westbrook move, I didn't have to move a single first to do it, and I hardly moved any cash either (still made enough cash to be the second GM to camp a player). I've traded circles around some people. I've shed bad contracts. Most of my old guys are off the books after next year. I have two guys who have A potential in my starting 5. If you're looking at who's made the best moves to put their team in the best spot to win now AND later, the answer is me. Let the chips fall where they may.
I really fucking hate you

Dannyboy77

Reaction score
Had key injuries on and off and still barely missed first seed in the East...smh. Hope I can make a strong playoff push and win the East though. Cody Cloud best gm ever tbh. Bosox pretty damn good too. Brack is Brack.

daulten780

Members
Reaction score
Dannyboy77 said:
Had key injuries on and off and still barely missed first seed in the East...smh. Hope I can make a strong playoff push and win the East though. Cody Cloud best gm ever tbh. Bosox pretty damn good too. Brack is Brack.
Bosox is one of your candidates???

notail

Reaction score
Can't deny getting lucky with getting LBJ, but then my decisions afterwards placed me as a contender.

• I didn't pick until the end of 2nd (Bledsoe) and beginning of 3rd. The 3rd pick turned into Kmart which was a very nice pick who scored 20 ppg next to LBJ. 
  • Also traded back later in the draft to get a future 1st which turned into Bibby, my starting PG.
  • I've set my team up so I have Kmart, LBJ in their prime locked up on good contracts + future in Bledsoe.
  • Have all of my 1sts.
  • My cap situation is set up to give a max contract to bring in another big name next offseason while keeping my core players.
  • Lastly I believe the Eastern Conference is the more competitive league and my team was the only team to win 50 wins and placed 1st.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm gonna vote for everyone who said "there is no way simming 10 days at a time will work, you'll lose interest too quick." 

;)

Cheddar

Reaction score
I am going to lay out my reasoning for being voted as GM of the year:
 - I didn't have a team.
 -I started my own franchise, the Seattle Thundercats.
 -We are good and everyone else isn't.
 -The end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%