2009/2010 MLB Offseason Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
As much as a dick I'm going to be for saying it, that is great news for Tigers fans lmao.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah it's a big loss for the Twins but they got some pretty good depth on their bullpen though.

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
lol I remember hearing about that during my fantasy draft right after some dude drafted him

it was funny when he found out lol, and he drafted him early too

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
it definitely hurts Minnesota, but not that badly. they're still favorites to win the division probably. I like the Sox though

just look at the Phillies. Lidge was perfect in 08. In 09, he sucked and so did the rest of the pitchers they used to close. And i think they finished 1 game off of 08.
Minnesota still has an ok pen. maybe they'll go get Smoltz

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't think you can call anyone a favorite in the Central lol.
It's either going to be the Tigers, Twins, or White Sox. It's pretty much a tossup though.

Hope it's the Tigers though, obviously. I really like our team.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
you're probably right

Twins offense looks great
White Sox have a nice staff and could have a good offense.

I dont like the Tigers offense and they only have 2 starters. pen is also a question.
i wont even mention KC or Cleveland.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Man I cant wait for the season to start.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Right-hander Shaun Marcum will be Toronto's opening-day starter.

It will be the first time in eight years that Roy Halladay won't take the mound to open the Blue Jays' season.

Now that Halladay has been traded to Philadelphia, manager Cito Gaston said Monday it was an easy decision because of the way Marcum has pitched this spring.

In two starts covering five shutout innings, he has allowed one hit and one walk while striking out four.

Gaston has not decided on the rest of the rotation for the opening series against Texas.

Marcum missed half of the 2008 season and all of 2009 recovering from right shoulder surgery. He says "it never even crossed my mind that I'd be in this position."
Called it. I see Rzepcynski (sp) being in the rotation seeing how decent he's pitched this spring.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Gagne asked for, and was granted, his release from the Dodgers

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Interesting article on ESPN talking about how the Giants have the best pitching staff but lack power...

I honestly don't know why management can't stop being so cheap and do something about this lack of power.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
you're probably right

Twins offense looks great
White Sox have a nice staff and could have a good offense.

I dont like the Tigers offense and they only have 2 starters. pen is also a question.
i wont even mention KC or Cleveland.
I think our pitching staff is our strong suit yet again, but obviously I have a bias lol.
I certainly don't think we downgraded from last year though, which is what everyone is saying.
And last year we were 1 game away from the playoffs, so...

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I guess Carmona is looking good in ST.. I can only hope.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think our pitching staff is our strong suit yet again, but obviously I have a bias lol.
I certainly don't think we downgraded from last year though, which is what everyone is saying.
And last year we were 1 game away from the playoffs, so...
1 game away yet we should have never even let it get that close and we really shouldnt have blown that 1 game..

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Tigers are going to finish 3rd imo. There are way too many questions on that team. Can Maggs rebound from the worst year of his career? Whose the legitimate closer on that team? They also lost 2 very good players in Granderson and Jackson. Adam Everett is an offensive liability at SS. I also dont see much power in that lineup besides Inge and Miguel.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
^they only have 2 starters.

Verlander is great
Porcello. I think he's a little overrated at the moment. we'll see how he does in his second go round

after that, ?

DTrain? kidding me with this?
Bonderman? He's still in the big leagues?
Robertson? same as those 2.
Gallaraga. man what happened to him? and didnt they send him down recently?

Twins also are a little overrated too. nice offense on paper. pitching though.
but still, should be enough

again, I like the White Sox.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
^they only have 2 starters.

Verlander is great
Porcello. I think he's a little overrated at the moment. we'll see how he does in his second go round

after that, ?

DTrain? kidding me with this?
Bonderman? He's still in the big leagues?
Robertson? same as those 2.
Gallaraga. man what happened to him? and didnt they send him down recently?

Twins also are a little overrated too. nice offense on paper. pitching though.
but still, should be enough

again, I like the White Sox.
Age is too much of an issue with that team. When you have Paul Konerko as your cleanup hitter, your in trouble. I do like Gordon Beckham, but they are way over the hill at crucial positions. Pitching is phenomenal, but go ask the Giants what that gets you. I think this will be a case of the Oakland A's when they signed a bunch of veteran guys but didnt amount to much. I like the Twinkies cuz Gardenhire has them playing great fundamental baseball year in and year out. Mauer's got his contract so that wont be a distraction, Morneau was injured last year and they still made the playoffs, so they are getting a full year out of him this time. And finally another year under that young staffs belt will do wonders. I also read somewhere that the Twins are one the fastest team in terms of playing time. Their pitchers are among the league leaders in fewest walks allowed and I feel that is going to be critical in the long run. I also hear Liriano is back to his old form.

STLZACH

Go Blues!
Reaction score
it definitely hurts Minnesota, but not that badly. they're still favorites to win the division probably. I like the Sox though

just look at the Phillies. Lidge was perfect in 08. In 09, he sucked and so did the rest of the pitchers they used to close. And i think they finished 1 game off of 08.
Minnesota still has an ok pen. maybe they'll go get Smoltz
smoltz signed a contract with TBS to be an announcer, said hes done playing, since he sought after a contract but noone was interested. He is a First ballot hall of famer too.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
In 13 Cactus League innings, Carmona has allowed five hits and one run (for an 0.69 ERA). Most significantly, he has issued only two walks -- yet another exhibit of the pound-the-zone commandment of Acta and pitching coach Tim Belcher.
If Fausto can get it together, and combine with Westbrook to be a decent top of the rotation pitchers we could hover around .500 this year. I just hope we are exciting to watch and aren't out of it in the first month.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Sounds like Jonathan Niese is going to be our #5 starter, Im glad I like when the young guys get opportunities to see what they got. The guy has the best curveball in camp so it must be pretty good.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dodgers opening day starter: Vicente Padilla

I hate Joe Torre sometimes. most of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%