10 Players Filling New Roles in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Free agency 2010 is winding down, and clearly, the effects will be felt around the league for years to come. Beyond the players who signed with new teams, the Draft and a couple of big trades have changed the landscape of the NBA, too.

Once the games begin, we'll have a better idea of how well some of the players on new teams will fit in. But all the movement also affects guys who weren't free agents or parts of trades. For some, it has created an opportunity to step up into an increased role. For others, it has pushed them further down the depth chart.

Here are 10 players who will be returning to their teams with a new role as a result of this summer's player movement.

Gilbert Arenas, G, Washington Wizards

John Wall is not only the future of the Wizards. He's the present, and it's up to Arenas to adjust to a new role. It may be harder for him to adjust to the idea of no longer being the focus of the offense than just playing off the ball. Wall helps the Wizards take a step forward after half the team was traded away last February. Just how much of a step forward they take will depend a lot upon Arenas.

D.J. Augustin, PG, Charlotte Bobcats

Shaun Livingston could challenge him for the job, but Augustin will likely start and have a much bigger role with the departure of Raymond Felton. And of course, with Larry Brown as his coach, he'll be under heavy scrutiny. The Bobcats turned the ball over more than any team in the league last season (per possession), and if they're to improve in that area, it has to start with the new starting point guard.

Andrea Bargnani, C, Toronto Raptors

The departures of Chris Bosh and Hedo Turkoglu should make Bargnani the focus of the Raptors' offense. Of course, where Toronto needs him to improve more is on defense and on the boards. Linas Kleiza gives them some added toughness, but improvement in that area has to come mostly from within.

Mario Chalmers, PG, Miami Heat

It's still not clear if Erik Spoelstra will start Chalmers, Carlos Arroyo or LeBron James at the point. Whatever way, with the Heat expected to go deep in the playoffs, Chalmers will now have more of a spotlight on him. There's a big difference between being a role player on the 2009-10 Heat and one on the 2010-11 Heat. He'll get plenty of open looks and he'll need to shoot better than he did last year (40 percent, 32 percent from 3-point range).

Taj Gibson, PF, Chicago Bulls

Gibson started 70 games at power forward during the Bulls' run to the playoffs last year, impressive for a rookie selected late in the first round. Then Carlos Boozer came and took his job. With the Bulls also adding Kurt Thomas to their frontline, Gibson will have a reduced role as an energy guy off the bench.

J.J. Hickson, PF, Cleveland Cavaliers

When a team is built around one player and that player leaves, everyone is affected. But the 21-year-old Hickson, who the Cavs wouldn't trade for Amar'e Stoudemire at the deadline in February, is the one guy on the roster they can develop. Even with Antawn Jamison and Anderson Varejao still around, Hickson will have a much bigger role in Cleveland.

Andre Iguodala, SF, Philadelphia 76ers

Before Allen Iverson was traded in 2006, Iguodala attempted fewer than eight shots per game and shot 49 percent. Since that trade, he's attempted more than 14 shots per game and shot 45 percent. If rookie Evan Turner is ready to be the man, Iguodala can return to a role as a secondary scorer and defensive stopper. He doesn't need to cut his shots in half, but a small reduction will help him be more efficient.

Robin Lopez, C, Phoenix Suns

With Hakim Warrick replacing Amar'e Stoudemire and Louis Amundson possibly signing elsewhere, the Suns have lost most of whatever toughness they had inside. Lopez will need to increase both his scoring and rebounding loads.

Kevin Love, PF, Minnesota Timberwolves

Love seems to get more respect around the league and with USA Basketball than he does in his own organization. The No. 5 pick of the 2008 Draft has averaged just 26.7 minutes per game and started just 59 times in his first two seasons. With Al Jefferson gone, there's no more excuse that the two can't play together defensively. But does Michael Beasley take some of Love's minutes now?

Paul Millsap, PF, Utah Jazz

When Carlos Boozer decided to sign with the Bulls, it appeared that Millsap would finally become the full-time starter and Deron Williams' No. 1 receiver. But then the Jazz sent Boozer to Chicago for a trade exception and used that to acquire Al Jefferson. Now, Millsap is back to being an $8 million a year sixth man on a team paying the luxury tax.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
When will people stop saying we wouldn't trade Hickson for Amare? We were more then willing, but the Suns took too much time and we had to move on to Jamison..

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
THe Heat coach is thinking about starting LeBron at PG???? Dumb! I see Chalmers starting...just like last season, so I don't think his role is gonna change much.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Chalmers didn't start the majority of last season.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm surprised Wade isn't on that list for PG... He's capable of starting PG. He brings the ball up the court all the time and effectively.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Your right, but I think toward the end of the season he was their starter.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Your right, but I think toward the end of the season he was their starter.
No, Arroyo was.

And Rios, the years where Dwyane Wade has had to handle the majority of the PG duties, he's had ridiculous amounts of TOs. Not that you can't take that with all the positives he brings, but you get my point.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well anyway, I see Chalmers beating out Arroyo and starting the majority of the season.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Yeah, probably. His skill set fits the starting 5 better because they don't need him to handle the ball a lot, he'll be a guy they just kick it out to for open 3s.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
It's about 10 players that are affecting by staying with the same team.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I'm surprised Wade isn't on that list for PG... He's capable of starting PG. He brings the ball up the court all the time and effectively.
I could bring the ball up the court and effectively on that team. They need a pass first, defensive minded PG for it to work and I dont see Chalmers being able to do that. It would be funny if he becomes the Heats Rondo.

South Florida

Reaction score
I expect Chalmers to shine with the new setup.
He's going to surprise a lot of people this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%