Your thoughts on Christmas Day basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What's with basketball games being played on Christmas? I mean, wouldn't the players want to go home for Christmas? Even people at home, wouldn't they want to be spending Christmas with they're families? It's just weird to me.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think their family comes with them on the road for their Christmas game, for the road teams. That or they just fly back real quick.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
FBB
As a fan, you love it. As a player, I can't speak for them, but usually their families are at the games aren't they

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's part of the business. If they don't like it, play in Canada or overseas lol.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You know I would feel sympathy about them not being able to see their families if they were getting paid minimum wage...

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They get Christmas eve off. Which I would guess they do the whole christmas thing on that.

I just hope the Magic can get their stuff together to make the Celtics - Magic game a good one.

$tunna

teejus
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
FBB
Well it all depends on the circumstances. Most guys have their families with them at the games or spend time with them before or after the games.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I honestly don't give a shit if they can't spend time with their families, and I also think Phil Jackson should open up a can of shut the fuck up stew.

Here's a little lesson to anybody who wants to bitch about it, or even just say "well don't you think its just weird." A little life lesson... on Christmas, the NBA gets outstanding ratings, i think even some of the best ratings of the regular season (unable to find a link online to prove it, but i think it's right up there). The NBA is an entertainment business... the players make millions, the Coaches make a fairly decent salary as well. If people are watching it, the Advertisers will do anything to open up their pockets and get their name out during the game and during commercials. It's a money business -- always has, always will be. You don't see the MLB taking the day off on July 4th because it's a patriotic day. They don't care. They know people have off, they are home or at a party, and will have TV and Radios on.

We love sports, we thrive on it. I utilize Christmas Day Basketball as a reason to sit down with my cousins and uncles with a 12-pack right next to me and avoid the aunts calling us over for "picture time" and annoying stories about lives at work recently, and women's basketball, and all that garbage I just don't want to listen to.

Phil Jackson can suck it, for all I care. I don't see the NBA taking days off during Hanukkah or Pearl Harbor Day, I don't see them taking off during any other holidays. Since when was the NBA a one-religion league? Never. So Phil Jackson should shut up before he pisses off the wrong people.

It's an entertainment business, first and foremost. The players make absurd amounts of money because they are basically the equivalent of dancing bears. We pull the little fucking chain, the music starts, and they dance for us.

Plus, if there weren't any Christmas Day NBA Games, all the obsessive gamblers would have nothing to throw all their money at. Can't please everybody Jackson, but if you suck it up for 1 day you make millions of people happy.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
FBB
it's not a 1 religion league, but david stern doesnt work on the Jewish holidays...

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
it's not a 1 religion league, but david stern doesnt work on the Jewish holidays...
well, the rest of the league does.

And also, I got 2 sets of cousins and their kids who suddenly called today and aren't coming up from Long Island on Christmas. We didnt even bother asking why. They just don't want to... And my point there is, out of the 80 or 90 players/coaches "working" on Christmas day, probably 55% of them don't give a shit about being around their families anyhow.

I WILL, however, express sympathy to other people. Phil Jackson fails to realize the real people getting ****ed in the ass on Christmas Day by the NBA having games... the people running the stadiums, and the guys stuck ushering people to their seats, to the officers in the building, the people running the concessions stands and thhe ticket offices. The merchandise stores in the stadiums, the hot dog guy walking around the seats selling food. They get screwed the most. But you know what, it's the way it is.

In towns and cities all over the country, you got firefighters and law officers stuck out on the streets or in their stations, working on the holiday. If they have to work, then I have 0 sympathy for NBA players having to "work" on Christmas.

Arrial

Reaction score
Getting millions of dollars to play a game. No crying.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
FBB
You know I would feel sympathy about them not being able to see their families if they were getting paid minimum wage...
lol. perfect point.

as a fan, i like it. i dont like early games at all though.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
When you get paid the money that they do, should be no such thing as "off" days. I understand most have families and all that, but this is part of it. As a fan, I like being able to watch games on Holidays, I think most feel the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Toggle Sidebar

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%