Yearbook Design Contest

.hokiebound

Reaction score
mascot- Tigers

Basically our school (Grissom High School, colors- orange, black, white) just released a contest to come up with a cover design for this year's yearbook. The winner gets 100 bucks, a free yearbook, and a section in the yearbook belonging to you (i guess). I would really like to win this, as it would be another thing to add to my resume. Before I put a lot of time into this, I wanted to see what you guys thought of some of the ideas I have come up with.

Idea #1
I would take a picture of our huge auditorium on the last row. On the senior shirts this year, they put a roman numeral x for 2009-2010. So I thought I would fill the auditorium with a busy effect, and put an orange X on the stage, and make it look like a prop. I would have the curtains, lights, etc. At the top, I would put "Grissom highschool" "turn off the lights and close the curtains on the 09-10 year", or something to that effect. I thought it would be really creative, so let me know what you guys think.

Idea #2
Would have a smooth feel, silver background, have a tiger leaping out with some tropical elements, and make it feel somewhat like that one wallpaper (can't remember who made it), the lebron vs kobe "who would be the king in the jungle" piece.

Any comments or other ideas would be awesome. This thing is due Sep. 11. So I have some time, and I would like to make it the best I could submit.

Here was my winning entry for my u.s. ap class for our notebook covers. All I got was extra cred.

Basically, oiler told me I could come here, and that you guys have a good community. I posted this same thread from o2, and this is what I got:
Why do you insist on using the exact same <Censored>ing cheesy script font for all of your "creative" pieces?
"Wow. Ok thanks for the support. You're <Censored>ing pathetic. I never said I was using the same font. Dumb ass. I don't even know why I keep going to sites like this for graphic incite. All people do is just leave dumbass 13 year old remarks. Get a life. Can someone link me to where I can go to a grown up community? You know, the kind that doesn't say "hai" "lyke"? "

And that is what I replied. So please, I just want some input on these ideas, before I put in a lot of time. If it's in the wrong area, feel free to move the thread.

getyappcrnredy24

maybe god. live with soul, never die.
Reaction score
what's your school mascot?
I could have a few ideas if its something good.

fletch

Reaction score
I love that cover, only thing i think you could do is add something of your school like gety said a mascot or a bit of people?

still great job.

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
as much of a dick matt is, I have to agree with him on this, stop using that cheesy script text, trust me you're really good at gfx, u should use better text to reach your full potential

Oiler35

Reaction score
Well, I think that the cover should be clean. It wouldn't look good busy, believe me.

Anyways, I'd try to incorporate a section on the cover for everything: Academics, Sports, Extracurricular activity groups, ect.
The text should stand out, and add contrast. A simple script text with the right effects could be enough, but make sure it's all lowercase, or it looks pretty shitty. Possibly a font like Exmouth, in all lowercases.

Contrast, emphasis, and coloring are the three main things that would really make this nice.

Anyways, best of luck man, if you want any help, feedback, or anything, let me know. I'm away from tomorrow 'till Thursday, but I'll help you out anytime other than that.

Best of luck.
Sam Galea.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
actually the idea you have is nice and not very busy at all. a mascot would be a nice touch. maybe even try to use only orange and white as the colors

bigheadkyle2

Reaction score
i think it would be cool to have something that incorporated the back and front of the yearbook. i dont know what but it seems like ti would be pretty cool. also i kinda like the script font for historical stuff because look at any historical document. how many times have the printed something. it is always in some sort of script. no one printed their name on the declaration of independence.

Oiler35

Reaction score
Okay, I woke up with these ideas this morning.

Idea 1- Clean
  • White background
  • One area that features the school.
  • Exmouth font text, possibly black and orange
Example of this idea:
http://youngguru.deviantart.com/art/Blake-Griffin-127562959

Idea 2 Scrapbook
Almost like what you submitted for your American History project, but a little less busy.
Use photos that really make you think about a certain time in that year: a school basketball player hitting a game winning 3, a school trip, grad from last year, ect.

Anyways, best of luck again, hopefully I helped.
SG.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%