Yanks' Mock

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I wrote a lot

I have the picks in bold, and would appreciate if you read the rest too... but the picks are in bold.

Sorry if you don't agree with your team's picks, just the way I have them... Though I will look forward to comments/criticisms.

Players I’m down on:

Melvin Ingram: mid-teens prospect. Short, short arms, athletic freak but a bit of a “tweener”.

Fletcher Cox: mid/late teens prospect, no particularly better than other DTs.

Riley Reiff: late teens prospect; fairly safe RT, limited upside. What you get in year 2 is what you’ll get in year 6.

Michael Brockers: mid/late first; limited as a pass rusher, alarmingly poor bench/40. Being overrated because of team performance and “upside”.

Ryan Tannehill: same as everyone basically, think he is a marginal 1[sup]st[/sup] round QB being pushed up by the media overplaying the need for QBs. Wouldn’t surprise me to see an Aaron Rodgers/Jimmy Clausen fall.

Players I’m high on:

Trent Richardson: was gonna use this for some lower guys, but reeeally want to stress that I think he will be a top 5 RB very soon.

Luke Kuechly: same as above, as close to a “can’t miss” as we’ve seen in a while at LB

David DeCastro: Kuechly version at G

Cordy Glenn: look for him to go higher than expected. May be a bit heavy and not “agile” enough to play LT, but could be an impact RT or G.

Janoris Jenkins: I hope he goes to a good locker room because on the field, this guy is one of the best CBs we’ve seen in years and isn’t too far behind Claiborne. Plays much bigger than he is, amazing ball skills, can play bump and run… Pro bowler in the right locker room.

Coby Fleener: think he’s more athletic and talented than he’s being given credit for. Don’t be surprised to see him drafted higher than everyone is mocking at 30 or 32.

Devon Still: perhaps I’m a homer since I saw him play over 10 games in person, but complete stud in all facets of the game. Can fit in any scheme, is very good both as a pass rusher and run stuffer.

Brandon Weeden: seem to be echoing what everyone else is saying about him being just as good as Tanny, and I really think he is better. Don’t care about age.

Random later round guys who I can see being future pro bowlers or impact players: Nigel Bradham, George Iloka, Nick Toon, Jonathan Massaquoi, Michael Brewster, Donte Paige-Moss, Cliff Harris.

Notes about my mock:

As most others, no trades in my mock – impossible to predict. I will be making picks based on what I think is most likely to happen, and in my write-ups I will try to say what I would do if I were the GM. I’ll offer some possible trades and predictions at the end as well.

1. Indianapolis Colts: QB Andrew Luck

2. Washington Redskins: QB Robert Griffin III

3. Minnesota Vikings: CB Morris Claiborne

They may indeed be dumb enough to not take Kalil. It does make some sense to shore up that secondary in a division with Rodgers, Cutler, and Stafford, and their secondary may even be worse than their o-line. I’d take Kalil.

4. Cleveland Browns: RB Trent Richardson

They didn’t bring in Tannehill for a workout, sent their GM and HC to Richardson’s pro day, only sent Childress to Tannehill’s. Richardson is a can’t miss, and when you’re picking in the top 10 it’s more important to go for safe guys than risky picks. Much easier to lose your job picking a bust than it is to keep it with making a good pick.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: LT Matt Kalil

I really do hope that they go with Kalil if Claiborne is off the board as I’m predicting. I think the Bucs board would be Claiborne, Kalil, Richardson in that order (not including the top two). They have spent the last two drafts shoring up their defensive line, and while you can argue whether or not it has worked, I don’t think they would be looking to spend another first round pick on a DT like some are predicting. Don’t see any other CB here either, value simply isn’t there. New coach will likely go with as safe of a pick as possible.

6. St Louis Rams: WR Justin Blackmon

Don’t see the Cox talk here either. I understand that DT may be a need, but you have to help out your biggest investment in Sam Bradford. I think Blackmon is a great talent and don’t see him being a bust as some suggest. Fisher will likely have more security than most new head coaches, but again I’ll say that you can’t be making bold picks like that. DT is definitely a big impact position, but I think you’re more likely to see the production immediately from a WR than you are from a DT. Also, they signed Kendall Langford and Trevor Laws who should join an improving defensive line (Chris Long 13 sacks last year, first round pick Robert Quinn DE last year) and make it a formidable unit. Blackmon is simply the better prospect.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars: WR Michael Floyd

Throwing a wrench in the draft here a bit. Melvin Ingram and Fletcher Cox are the two “likely” picks, but I don’t think we’ll see them here. I’d like to point out that the next few picks are awful spots to be in as the top 6 in the draft in my opinion are all considerably better than the following group. I understand the injury to Knighton, but don’t think you take a DT 7[sup]th[/sup] overall just because a guy is going to miss a year (though it may be worse, I don’t exactly know quite yet). In real life if the top six all go as predicted, I’d really expect the Jaguars to move down and then select from Floyd, a defensive end, or maybe Cox when the value is greater. But if I had to project them staying, I think Floyd is the pick because you really have to help Gabbert out as much as you can. Laurent Robinson is a solid receiver, but much better served as a number two, and the same for Thomas a #3. Floyd in my opinion can be a bonafide #1 that you want your QB to grow with.

8. Miami Dolphins: DE/OLB Melvin Ingram

Not a huge Ingram fan, but I like the fit here. Tannehill is an option here if nobody moves up to #7 to take him, but even with him on the board I think the Dolphins aren’t quite as interested as they are made out to be just because of the Sherman association. You can pair Ingram with Cameron Wake either in the 3-4 or the 4-3 since they are projected to run some sort of hybrid system, and Ingram would benefit greatly from this and the Dolphins could properly assess if he is a better fit with a hand in the ground or not.

9. Carolina Panthers: LB Luke Kuechly

This is an incredibly hard pick to make. It seems as though Fletcher Cox is the popular pick, and even some Steph Gilmore talk but I think Rivera would love to get his hands on a guy like Kuechly. Personally I’d like Mike Floyd here too, but he’s off the board here. The Panthers defense is deplorable and could use upgrades on the line and in the secondary, but there are several DTs and CBs to be found at the top of round 2 (though I don’t like to make picks based on what “could be”) and the Panthers have had some awfully injury prone LBs lately. Adding Kuechly would shore that up a bit, and give us some flexibility to perhaps switch to a 3-4 if Rivera wants.

10. Buffalo Bills: CB Stephon Gilmore

I’m not sold on this pick, but I am fairly sure that it won’t be Reiff as we’ve seen almost everyone pencil in here. Gilmore is clearly moving up the big boards, and #10 isn’t out of the question. The Bills added Mario and Anderson, but their secondary is still awful and they would welcome a CB like Gilmore with open arms.

11. Kansas City Chiefs: QB Ryan Tannehill

With no trades, I see Tanny falling to the Chiefs. Come the actual draft, I could see them moving up for him. The Chiefs have a good amount of talent on both sides of the ball particularly with the addition of Peyton Hillis and Eric Winston, and they may just be a QB away from being perennial AFC West contenders. If Tanny is gone, then I would expect them to take DeCastro and try to protect their investment in Cassel and get another mauler for Charles/Hillis.

12. Seattle Seahawks: DT Fletcher Cox

I’ve been waiting for a spot for Cox, and though I’m not sold this is the best fit, it’s how it turned out. The Seahawks have lost Tony Hargrove, and signed Jason Jones but there is still a need for pass rushing on the line. Coples could be a bit here, but Cox is the better value here and less of a potential risk as far as effort is concerned. I think we could see Jason Jones sliding over to DE in this situation to make room for Cox on the line with Mebane, who is a very good run stuffer and is worth having on the field even if he does not generate sacks – which would make him a great compliment to Fletcher Cox.

13. Arizona Cardinals: OT Riley Reiff

I don’t see Reiff as a particularly game-changing offensive lineman and this is lower than most people have him going, but I think this is a good fit for the Cardinals who have a completely deplorable offensive line. Whether they decide to go forward with Skelton, Kobb, or someone else, you have to give him some protection.

14. Dallas Cowboys: S Mark Barron

You’ve got to have a good secondary in the NFC, especially when you’re trying to beat Eli Manning to win the division every year. Throw in Vick (who I don’t like, but still need to mention) and RG3, and you’ve got a pretty good passing division going forward. The Cowboys haven’t had a good safety in quite some time, and think it’s about time for them to look for one. If Gilmore is available, I would slot him here above Barron, however.

15. Philadelphia Eagles: DT/DE Quinton Coples

We’ve seen DE rotations be quite successful, and the Eagles don’t have to look much further than their division rivals and defending champion New York Giants to see that. Coples is an incredible talent and with guys like Cole and Babin on the defensive line, I think this would be a good locker room for him to be in and succeed. He can switch inside to DT as well and allow the Eagles to have all three on the field at the same time. Don’t be surprised to see them move up for Cox or Gilmore, however.

16. New York Jets: OLB/DE Courtney Upshaw

I don’t quite get the recent love for prospects such as Chandler Jones and Shea McClellin. I am not denying that pass rushers do go early and often, but I don’t see either of them overtaking studs such as Courtney Upshaw. I think Rex and the Jets are more likely to go after the big time, big stage performer in Upshaw and groom him to be the explosive pass rusher that the Jets have desired for the past few seasons.

17. Cincinnati Bengals: CB Janoris Jenkins

Going a bit against the grain here as most would project Dre Kirkpatrick, but I think Jenkins is the superior prospect and think it’s perfectly reasonable for him to go ahead of Kirkpatrick (who I still like, by the way). Jenkins is more of a playmaker at CB, and could see that being a reason for the Bengals to prefer him over Kirkpatrick.

18. San Diego Chargers: G David DeCastro

I reeeeeally wanted to slot him earlier, and would be surprised if he did make it this far on draft day but this is the way my draft has played out. DeCastro is a stud, flat out, plain and simple. Marcus McNeill’s injury really crippled the Chargers, and stud guard Kris Dielman was forced to retire as well. DeCastro would help shore up their offensive line which is a bit shaky now. I understand the need for other positions such as CB, OLB, even WR, but the value here in my opinion is too much to pass up… Though the Chargers have always been the kind of team to fall in love with later prospects (see Larry English) and take them.

19. Chicago Bears: T/G Cordy Glenn

Many are projecting DT, and Michael Brockers would be a good fit for the Bears here but I think the need for an offensive lineman far surpasses the need for a run stuffing DT like Brockers. The Bears are committing to revamping the offense with the addition of Brandon Marshall, and I expect them to keep it going perhaps adding more WRs but you HAVE to protect Jay Cutler.

20. Tennessee Titans: DT Dontari Poe

In a division with MJD and Arian Foster, you better have your run defense straightened out. I think what we saw with Poe is that he was overrated so much because of the combine to the point where he is now a bit underrated, similar almost to Bruce Campbell. While he is a much better prospect than Campbell and should still be a first or at worst early/mid second round pick, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Poe slide to this juncture of the draft despite the pundits mocking him at #9.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: WR Kendall Wright

Yes they took AJ Green last year, but don’t be surprised if they double up on WRs to try and help out Andy Dalton as much as possible. Some project offensive linemen to help him out, but they have addressed the position (somewhat) signing a couple of solid guards in Travelle Wharton and Jacob Bell. Wright provides both good value and a good positional fit for the Bengals.

22. Cleveland Browns: WR Stephen Hill

You have to help Colt McCoy (or Tannehill, bleh) out as much as possible in this draft. After this season, there will be no doubt about whether or not you have your QB – but let’s give him a chance to succeed with a new RB and deep threat.

23. Detroit Lions: CB Dre Kirkpatrick

I’ll admit that I did not want to mock him here because of the weed thing, but the charges against him were dropped so it is not as much of an issue. You absolutely have to have a good pass defense to win the NFC North going forward, and the Lions have not been good in this area in the past. They have clearly upgraded their pass rush, but it’s time to address the secondary and Kirkpatrick is a great fit and great value.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers: LB Dont’a Hightower

Seem to be going cookie-cutter here, but this was a match made in heaven. Born leader, Hightower fits right in to an incredibly physical defense with a spot open next to Lawrence Timmons. Seems almost as easy to pick as Heyward was last year, so that means I’ll probably be wrong.

25. Denver Broncos: DT Michael Brockers

I wanted to slot him earlier, and I just couldn’t find a fit that I was comfortable with… The Broncos definitely should be looking at DT, and Brockers really fits the bill here perfectly. I’m not a huge Brockers fan, but at this point the value and potential are too great to pass up.

26. Houston Texans: WR Rueben Randle

Definitely think the Texans are in play for a WR here. Every year that seems to be the case, everyone is mocking that the Texans need a compliment to Andre Johnson… But they don’t just need a compliment, they need a competent replacement for when Andre inevitably misses time as he always seems to do (just ask my fantasy team…)

27. New England Patriots: OLB/DE Chandler Jones

Ok, I’ll bite and put him in the first. It’s basically useless mocking for the Pats as they’ll likely trade one or both of their firsts, so this is more of a positional projection as opposed to specific player projection. I think the Pats have to address pass rush and secondary in this draft, and Jones is the highest ranked pass rusher I have available.

28. Green Bay Packers: OLB/DE Whitney Mercilus

Best pass rusher available and the Packers could definitely use one opposite of Clay. Safety may be a need, but I feel more confident in Mercilius as a first round prospect than I do in Harrison Smith.

29. Baltimore Ravens: WR Alshon Jeffery

He does seem to be dropping, but I think the questions of attitude and effort would be eliminated in a locker room with Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, etc. Whether you like what Joe Flacco has said or not, you’ve got to help him out and give him a red zone target which at the very least, Jeffery has the potential and ability to be.

30. San Francisco 49ers: T/G Jonathan Martin

I really like Martin and don’t quite see why he has fallen so much, but that’s the draft process for you. I could easily see Coby Fleener here, but the 49ers have already addressed their weaponry in signing Manningham and Moss. It’ll be difficult to get them involved with Crabtree, Davis, and Gore all demanding a steady diet of targets. The 49ers can use an upgrade at guard, and Martin is certainly that and even a possible tackle… And he is a Stanford guy too.

31. New England Patriots: DT Devon Still

I don’t think the Pats stay here, but if they do I like the fit of Still. He can play in both their 3-4 and 4-3 and contribute on every down. They should be looking to shore up the secondary, but Still is a better value here than any DB available.

32. New York Giants: TE Coby Fleener

The Giants are always a BPA team, so this pick will be whoever is ranked highest on their board… But this year, I think you combine BPA with a need at TE. With Manningham gone, Ballard out for the year, the Giants have targets to replace and Fleener provides a good value here for the Giants.

Trades to look for:

Jaguars to move down (Chiefs/Jets)

Panthers to move down (Jets/Eagles)

Patriots to move either way (goes without saying)

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Would like to see the Jets trading up but I don't know who I would want us to trade up for. There's no way that we're going to get at the Jags/Panthers picks that I think would be all that much better than what we'd get at 16.

We do have 10 picks this year though so who knows.

Obviously like the Upshaw pick.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Why does nobody get that New England needs an OL

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Pats do need an OL, but I think the value present on the front 7 is better than the remaining offensive linemen. I was considering Martin for them, but I think Belichek is perfectly comfortable waiting for a smaller school OL Silatolu, or maybe Bobby Massie.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
SILATOLU <3

He's my new favorite prospect, because of his versatility on the line

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I get the rational of taking a WR at 22 (I want one), but I don't like the reasoning of taking one to accommodate Colt. I think the Browns realize he isn't the future. If they were really trying to put Colt in the best situation to succeed and seeing if hes a franchise guy, they would probably draft Fleener at 22 because he would fit Colt's play style more. I wouldn't even be against that pick either, tho.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It isn't necessarily to accommodate Colt, but rather just giving any QB who is there a weapon. It gives Colt a chance to show if he is the guy or not, no excuses about lack of playmakers. If Colt falls on his face as predicted, then they'll be in a great position for next year to plug in a QB.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Heck of a read Eric. And love the pick for the Lions.
Also love Jenkins, he or Dre would make me very happy.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Bucs won't draft a LT. They just paid Penn out the ass.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't think Penn is a long term solution at LT, though I get your point. I think Kalil is the best prospect on the board, and I don't think I can see them taking Blackmon or reaching on a CB over Kalil, if he's still there that is.

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain the Bears won't be drafting an offensive lineman in the first round. Emery has his list knocked down to 7 players and I can think of 8 that are probably on that list...

Michael Floyd WR
Quinton Coples DE
Whitney Mercilus DE
Nick Perry DE
Stephon Gilmore CB
Dre Kirkpatrick CB
Michael Brockers DT
Mark Barron SS

They would definitley take Floyd if he falls, if he's gone then they are probably going to go DE. Glenn doesn't project as a LT and that's really the only position the Bears need to solidify on the line.

Gabe Carimi is coming back and will hold down the RT position. Between Chris Williams, Chris Spencer, Lance Louis, Edwin Williams, Chilo Rachal, and a mid round pick the guard positions are gonna be filled out and Roberto Garza is going to be back at center.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain the Bears won't be drafting an offensive lineman in the first round. Emery has his list knocked down to 7 players and I can think of 8 that are probably on that list...

Michael Floyd WR
Quinton Coples DE
Whitney Mercilus DE
Nick Perry DE
Stephon Gilmore CB
Dre Kirkpatrick CB
Michael Brockers DT
Mark Barron SS

They would definitley take Floyd if he falls, if he's gone then they are probably going to go DE. Glenn doesn't project as a LT and that's really the only position the Bears need to solidify on the line.

Gabe Carimi is coming back and will hold down the RT position. Between Chris Williams, Chris Spencer, Lance Louis, Edwin Williams, Chilo Rachal, and a mid round pick the guard positions are gonna be filled out and Roberto Garza is going to be back at center.
I don't see Floyd getting past the Bengals and I don't even see him falling to the Bengals. Probably be gone by 14.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Michael Floyd WR
Quinton Coples DE
Whitney Mercilus DE
Nick Perry DE
Stephon Gilmore CB
Dre Kirkpatrick CB
Michael Brockers DT
Mark Barron SS

There's a decent chance that at least half of that list is gone before your pick, and I think you are underestimating Cordy Glenn. I don't know if he can be a bonafide LT, but at the very least he is a stout offensive lineman who will give you some versatility and let you figure out what to do at the guard spots and who will play RT or LT.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
I don't think Penn is a long term solution at LT, though I get your point. I think Kalil is the best prospect on the board, and I don't think I can see them taking Blackmon or reaching on a CB over Kalil, if he's still there that is.
Meh, Penn has actually improved over the past few seasons. No doubt about Kalil and his skills, though. They may have interest in Blackmon after how far Mike Williams and Arellious(?) Benn have fallen off. I would love for Claiborne to be on the board, if not I want Blackmon.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score

Michael Floyd WR
Quinton Coples DE
Whitney Mercilus DE
Nick Perry DE
Stephon Gilmore CB
Dre Kirkpatrick CB
Michael Brockers DT
Mark Barron SS
i bolded those who havent been picked in my last mock by #19

Perry isn't a good fit really with the Bears (he plays on the right side, same as Peppers). CB would be a terrible choice for them.

And knowing of who you said is going to be your OL, it only assures me more they will draft an LT (Carimi is a RT in the NFL). JMartin is surely on their list

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm concerned a bit about Mike Williams, but then again Josh Freeman saw a good regression as well so I'll give him a pass. Blackmon wouldn't be an awful fit, but I think the Bucs would rather take Kalil or trade down than take Blackmon. If Claiborne and Richardson are off the board, I'd say the trade down chances are at least 35% as they move back and take perhaps a cornerback like Gilmore and pick up an additional pick to shore up some of their other holes.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And knowing of who you said is going to be your OL, it only assures me more they will draft an LT (Carimi is a RT in the NFL). JMartin is surely on their list
I agree with this statement completely, and I think Martin would be a good fit though I think Cordy Glenn is higher on more boards.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
If Claiborne and Richardson are off the board, I'd say the trade down chances are at least 35% as they move back and take perhaps a cornerback like Gilmore and pick up an additional pick to shore up some of their other holes.
#16, #48, 2013 2nd for #5: Jets get the star RB, something that they have wanted since 2008 (Darren McFadden)
#12 for #16, #101, #165: They trade up before Dallas (needs a DB, Gilmore might be higher on their board) and Arizona (traded Cromartie last year)

And draft Gilmore #12 overall

?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I agree with this statement completely, and I think Martin would be a good fit though I think Cordy Glenn is higher on more boards.
if you want an OT, specifically LT, Martin is better.

If Glenn was solely an OT, he'd be a Day 2 guy without a doubt. Its his versatility, and his skill at OG that has helped his stock out.
So if they are looking for a LT, Martin is the better pick. If they just want an OL, then Glenn is the best choice

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Any scenario that gets Trent in a Jets jersey is absolutely 100% fantastic to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%