Yankees extend Brett Gardner

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
Contract is for four years and 52 million.

I guess the Yankees are going to be innovators and introduce the world to the first four outfield/three infielder defense.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jacoby, gardner and beltran
Sori DH

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Four man outfield he says, good one dude.

mgh1985

Reaction score
Gardner's good. That's pretty good value for him too, though a ton of his value lies in his speed. When his speed starts to decline, his value's going to plummet. 

mgh1985

Reaction score
Mexi said:
Jacoby, gardner and beltran
Sori DH

And Ichiro on the bench. Any defensive shortcomings that Beltran has will probably be negated by Jacoby's range.

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
I think it's laughable to think Ichiro will be content coming off of the bench with his legacy or that the Yankees would even want to do it.  We'll see I guess.  I think Soriano rides the pine if it comes to keeping one man out.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Ichiro will sit before Alfonso. 

mgh1985

Reaction score
Mobruler said:
I think it's laughable to think Ichiro will be content coming off of the bench with his legacy or that the Yankees would even want to do it.  We'll see I guess.  I think Soriano rides the pine if it comes to keeping one man out.

As an Orioles fan, I hope the Yankees do that. Soriano scares me a lot more than Ichiro. Soriano can actually do damage. Ichiro has no power at this point. Heck of a guy to have as a pinch runner or defensive replacement in the OF though. 

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Mobruler said:
Doesn't matter if Ichiro likes his role or not, he's too much of a professional to make a stink about it and it's not like there are teams out there lining up to give him a starting job.

Soriano isn't riding the pine, not after that great half season he had when he came over from the Cubs last year.

mgh1985

Reaction score
Bleacher Creature said:
Doesn't matter if Ichiro likes his role or not, he's too much of a professional to make a stink about it and it's not like there are teams out there lining up to give him a starting job.

Soriano isn't riding the pine, not after that great half season he had when he came over from the Cubs last year.

Ichiro definitely does not seem like the kind of guy who would complain. 

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
Soriano might be favored to be the everyday starter over Suzuki, I can admit that could be a likely possibility.  Either way, they are looking at the 6th or 7th best bat on their roster sitting on the bench every day.  And if they make it to the World Series, which is obviously the goal, in potentially 3 or 4 games in the NL ballpark, you're sitting 2 of your top 7 bats.

It just doesn't seem like a realistic way to conduct business as a team.  The front office is making Girardi's job infinitely more difficult.  

I think they need to trade Soriano or Suzuki, or even Gardner which is unlikely after signing his extension, and I'll be surprised if one of these guys isn't trade by the end of the trade deadline.

ErectionForOvechkin

Reaction score
Mobruler said:
Soriano might be favored to be the everyday starter over Suzuki, I can admit that could be a likely possibility.  Either way, they are looking at the 6th or 7th best bat on their roster sitting on the bench every day.  And if they make it to the World Series, which is obviously the goal, in potentially 3 or 4 games in the NL ballpark, you're sitting 2 of your top 7 bats.

It just doesn't seem like a realistic way to conduct business as a team.  The front office is making Girardi's job infinitely more difficult.  

I think they need to trade Soriano or Suzuki, or even Gardner which is unlikely after signing his extension, and I'll be surprised if one of these guys isn't trade by the end of the trade deadline.

Who's going to take on Suzuki at this point? 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%