Would you like to see games called closer?

cavsfan817

You trying to get the pipe?
Reaction score
A lot of NBA fans and people in general complain that they are turned off by how much NBA players can get away with. The most obvious of these calls (or non-calls) are traveling, carrying, the lack of "hard fouls", etc. However, when things are called at a more frequent clip, often times those same fans will complain since they are not often called. It would certainly be a big adjustment to revert back to a more "clean" game. What are your thoughts on this? Would you prefer the game be cleaned up at the professional level? Is it ok the way it is?

BNC

Reaction score
Fine the way it is, get rid of Hack-A though

Foreman

Detroit Vs. Everybody
Reaction score
BNC said:
Fine the way it is, get rid of Hack-A though
I think it was JVG who suggested that before 2 minutes left in the 4th, the team who gets intentionally fouled should get 2 shots and the ball, just like a flagrant foul. It actually seems like a pretty good idea to me but not totally sure if Silver would implement this

BNC

Reaction score
Foreman said:
I think it was JVG who suggested that before 2 minutes left in the 4th, the team who gets intentionally fouled should get 2 shots and the ball, just like a flagrant foul. It actually seems like a pretty good idea to me but not totally sure if Silver would implement this
There's a lot of ideas but they'll implement something to get rid of it

cavsfan817

Reaction score
I don't mind the hack-a rule. If you're a professional basketball player, you should be able to make more than half of your foul shots. It also adds strategy to the game.

Foreman

Detroit Vs. Everybody
Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:
I don't mind the hack-a rule. If you're a professional basketball player, you should be able to make more than half of your foul shots. It also adds strategy to the game.
I get all those points, but as fans, we don't wanna see the clock stopped that much and just watch someone miss free throws, it takes away some of the fun in the game

BNC

Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:
If you're a professional basketball player you should be able to play defense

CP3MVP

#OrlandoStrong
Reaction score
hack-a shouldnt be removed completely because you cant bail out guys who are shit at free throws. It can't be too difficult to limit though, either give 2 shots and the ball or give a limit to the number of intentional fouls you can commit before it becomes 2 shots and the ball. Something like that, because it is fair and good strategy to exploit a weakness in a player much like going trying to bait Rondo into shooting 3's, but it;s also horrendous to watch Drummond shoot 40 free throws.

cavsfan817

Reaction score
^
|
|

BNC said:
If you're a professional basketball player you should be able to play defense

BNC

Reaction score
But hack a isn't basketball and no one wants to watch it

cavsfan817

Reaction score
BNC said:
But hack a isn't basketball and no one wants to watch it
It's not fun to watch but it's a strategy all the same...

BNC

Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:
It's not fun to watch but it's a strategy all the same...
It's also not basketball. Fouls are meant to punish a team, teams shouldn't be able to gain an advantage by committing them constantly

cavsfan817

Reaction score
BNC said:
It's also not basketball. Fouls are meant to punish a team, teams shouldn't be able to gain an advantage by committing them constantly
Then I guess we can also eliminate the "foul to give" strategy. Because teams gain leverage off of that as well.

cavsfan817

Reaction score
While we're at it, we should also eliminate intentionally (although called a common) fouling when you're up by 3 and the opponent is coming down with a chance to tie the game with a 3pt shot. Clearly leverage is gained there as well. That's "not basketball" either, it's called strategy.

BNC

Reaction score
Those are two scenarios that come up maybe twice a game vs a team using fouling as it's primary defensive tactic

cavsfan817

Reaction score
You're missing the point by trying to justify getting rid of it. It's a strategy, whether it's fun to watch or not.

BNC

Reaction score
At the end of the day the NBA is in the entertainment business. This isn't entertaining so they should get rid of it

GETBEARD

Do Your Job
Reaction score
I agree they should limit it somehow but don't think they should totally get rid of the Hack-A strategy. You absolutely should be able to take advantage of it if the other team wants to play someone who can't hit a free throw.

I understand it's annoying to watch but it actually is basketball. If you're saying it's not basketball than you're saying free throws aren't basketball, and free throws are probably one of the most important part of a basketball game. It's also not something that is continuously abused every single game no matter what, it's obviously a strategy because teams for the most part are selective about when they do it, there are only a few guys in the league who actually get it done to them every game and even when it is done it's usually over short stretches of the game. A team can only foul so many times before they run out of players, it's not like they can foul one guy all game long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%