With AK Opting Out a Timberwolves Scenario

Boda

PSN = HitmanCapone
Reaction score
http://bodasramblings.blogspot.com/

So many possibilities running through my head now that we know AK has opted out, which I think was best for this team.  The more I think about it I don't really even want AK47 back with this team unless he'd do something like a 3yr/18M contract could give him 8M in year 1, 6M in year 2 & 4M in year 3.  That way his contract decreases value as he gets older.

Anyways this is what I'd do.  Shift focus away from AK47, now concentrate on SG- Tony Allen.  He has all the defense & more that AK47 had and he fills an immediate need.  people need to remember that we still have Budinger & Muhammad as well as Gelable if we pick up his option and Bjelica might be coming over so we're basically set at the SF position.  If we could land Tony Allen that would be huge for us.
Giving us a lineup of:
C - Pekovic / Dieng
PF - Love / Williams / Cunningham
SF - (Williams) / Budinger / Muhammad / Gelable(if we pick up his option)
SG - Allen / (Shved)
PG - Rubio / Ridnour / Barea / Shved / Brown

We would still have an immediate need to bring in a shooter but shooters typically don't cost a whole lot of money & I think this team could use another defensive stopper.  Which brings me to two very familiar faces & a couple of players I thought we should have never gotten rid of in the first place.  First call up Cleveland who is in the market for a backup PG to Irving.  Offer them either Ridnour or Barea for Wayne Ellington, he would be a great fit in Rick Adelman's offense as he's great at hitting the corner 3.  In this scenario I'll just say that the Cavs accept a deal for Ridnour as he'll be an expiring contract at the end of the year if he doesn't fit with Cleveland's offense, although Barea might be a better fit as he'd keep the up temple offense for them but like I said in this scenario I pick Ridnour but once again either would work. 

This move not only helps balance out the roster & give us a good shooter but it helps shed another 2M roughly which now we can focus on getting another high energy defensive stopper.  Look no further than one Corey Brewer.  By Bringing in Brewer we also decline the option on Gelable which gives us close to another 1M in cap savings.

Giving us a roster that looks like this:
C - Pekovic(8.9M cap hold) / Dieng(1.2M)
PF - Love(14.7M) / Williams(5M) / Cunningham (2.2M)
SF - Brewer(3.5M estimated) / Budinger(3M estimated) / Muhammad(1.6M)
SG - Allen(9M estimated) / Ellington(3.1M) / Shved(3.1M)
PG - Rubio(3.7M) / Barea(4.7M) / Brown(0.5M)

This would give the Wolves a Cap total of 64.7M so it would work finacially as I've heard rumors the cap is going to be set at 71.5M

It gives the Wolves a lot of flexibility, we'd have scorers & defensive stoppers.  I think this would be a good team as well if they stayed healthy.  it allows Muhammad to come along slowly and if he does happen to pan out there isn't anyone great in front of him or basically blocking him.  I'd still like to move Barea as well but it might be easier to do that next year when he'll be an expiring deal.  It also would give the Wolves a lot of depth and a pretty good 2nd unit.  Williams could play the 3 or 4, both Brewer & Budinger could play the 2 or 3 & Shved could play the 1 or 2, just lots of options which is something Adelman likes.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Memphis is foolish if they let Allen walk, so I don't see that happening.

Also, Derrick Williams is not going to play ahead of Dante Cunningham at the 4. You're dreaming, there.

It's time to trade Williams while somebody still thinks they can turn him into something. He's just got to go.

The Minnesota roster is fine if it stays healthy, but that's never going to happen. If they want a shooter, sign Delfino or Garcia who are leaving Houston. Both are good shooters with some veteran experience.

I do like the idea of Corey Brewer, though. Fuck Wayne Ellington. He can stay in Cleveland.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ellington is free agent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%