Why so much Celtics hype?

JohnnieDrama34

Reaction score
Everywhere I look I am told that the Celtics are one key piece away from being title conteders.......

ummmmm????  Why???

I look at their roster and I see a bunch of decent-to-OK players with only one player who can create their own offense...and thats a 5'10 PG who comes off the bench.

Jae Crowder has an all time bargain contract...but strikes me as a solid role player and not much more.

Marcus Smart is a bulldog on defense but is a DREADFUL shooter.  Avery Bradley is a solid defender, but is a streaky shooter as well.

Amir Johnson is a solid backup big man.

Evan Turner and Jared Sullinger are decent role players...but nothing too exciting.

The Celtics completely robbed the Nets in the KG/Pierce trade, but what do the Celtics have to show for it?  James Young and Terry Rozier and the #3 pick in a weaker draft?  The Nets pick next year which could end up being 8th or something?

So please tell me why everyone thinks the Celtics are sitting on a goldmine of a roster?

AiRuPtHeRe

Must Be Nice
Reaction score
We have max cap space + draft picks for galore. Trade away that those draft picks for another star and possibly add someone in FA and automatically the 5th seed Celtics can possibly be the 2nd seed and are considered as contenders in the East.

IT actually starts now.

James Young has been lowsy but Terry Rozier has potential. He played well in the playoffs when Bradley went down.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
We're not one piece away, we're two.

also that's underselling Bradley a good bit. He was just named to the All-Defensive 1st team, and is a solid shooter.

With the Celtics, they have the ability to become a superteam with the way they are structured, which many other teams cannot do with their cap restrictions. The Celtics main three -- Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley, and Jae Crowder -- account for $21M next year combined in salaries, which is around 24% of the team's cap. The Cavs' big 3 accounts for $62M, which is around 70% of the team's cap. 

Now obviously all 3 of those guys on Cleveland are better than Boston's. Boston's 3 are all the ideal role players for a team, which is what makes them valuable. They have the cap space for two maximum free agents, a la Kevin Durant and whoever else he wants. Jae Crowder is a pretty average/below average 3rd option -- but as a 5th? He's damn near good for that role.

The Celtics are being overhyped up by the media (and by me) because of the potential for greatness. Brad Stevens is one of the best young coaches in the game, and between the picks they fleeced from Brooklyn and the amount of cap space they have, they have the assets to get other great talents, and be a star team. Right now they are no better than Toronto/Miami/Atlanta in the search to dethrone Lebron. But they are one of the few teams that has a realistic gameplan to ascend to the top (now whether that happens or not is literally all dependent on free agency). It's not likely Boston has the pieces fall into place, but its far more realistic than most other scenarios in the league.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
First thread this guy has created that I at least somewhat agree with 

JohnnieDrama34

Reaction score
Assuming Durant stays in OKC for next year.....who could they sign or trade for that will make them title contenders?

JohnnieDrama34

Reaction score
The Celtics were beaten somewhat soundly (yes some games were close) in 6 games....to an Atlanta team that got embarrassed by a Cavaliers team that is in the process of getting embarrassed in the finals. 

Brad Stevens is a good coach, but his career record is like .500 and 2-8 in playoffs....despite having a "great young roster fulls of assets"

I dono I just think this is media hype.

Paulius

Reaction score
Zero hype. Celtics aint shit with that frontcourt

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
They're two STARS away from being the SECOND best team in the east. Let that sink in

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
No. We're potentially the 2 seed next year with Demar not returning to Toronto. And one star away from clearly being the #2 in the East.

We're two stars away from actually having a chance of making the finals, which 25 other teams are as well

BNC

Reaction score
Celtics also have probably a top 2 coach in Stevens

BNC

Reaction score
#2 SG of all time #24 said:
Have you seen his ATO plays? Incredible, also excellent clock management, rotations. Look at that roster and what he got out of them. The only question I'd have about him is how he handles Superstar personalities 

Paulius

Reaction score
BNC said:
Have you seen his ATO plays? Incredible, also excellent clock management, rotations. Look at that roster and what he got out of them. The only question I'd have about him is how he handles Superstar personalities 
I agree for sure, i like him too, just dont know if i can put him in top 2 over some real good proven coaches

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Arguments could be had for him over Kerr, Carlisle, Spo, Stan

I'd put him #4 personally

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I'd much rather have Stevens than Thibs

I'd put Kerr ahead of him 

Paulius

Reaction score
Walton is gonna be top 3 real soon

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
brad is a top five coach right now imo. good crop of coaches in the game.

BNC

Reaction score
#2 SG of all time #24 said:
I agree for sure, i like him too, just dont know if i can put him in top 2 over some real good proven coaches
Proven as in what? Winning? I don't like that because the rosters are different

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%