Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Falcons, Panthers, Saints, or Buccaneers?

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Saints because no one has ever won back to back division championships in the NFC South.

And it doesn't hurt that they're the best team.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Went with NOLA but very intrigued by this division. I could make a case for all 4 teams, now that Tampa has a real, actual coaching staff in place (even if Lovie is the definition of overrated). 

DisturbedShifty

Reaction score
I went with the Panthers.  I don't think the Saints have it anymore.  Brees or no Brees.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think the Saints got a lot better this offseason

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They did. Clear favorites imo.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Clear favorites, yes. Clear winner? Not necessarily

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I know you like the Bucs but I can't see how they're better than the Saints.

TTN2810

Reaction score
It's improved, yes. I just happen to like what the Bucs bring to the table better. Scheme wise and maximizing the fit of the players, especially to match the teams in their division.

TTN2810

Reaction score
I want to clarify that not only did it get better but already was very good to begin with.

I just really dig what the Bucs are doing.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Nola, is Champ expected to actually start? ESPN has him 1st on their (obviously) unofficial depth chart. Didn't think he'd start over White..

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Aside from Seattle I've just yet to see any defense that has the ability to stop the Saints offense twice during the season, and I don't think Tampa will be anywhere near Seattle. With Sean Payton we've never really had trouble scoring against Lovie Smith led defenses, something like 26 points a game I think.

I'm just not nearly as impressed with Tampa as you are. I know you like Verner, but they don't have much depth behind him. Their safeties don't worry me. We've always picked on Goldson, even when he was with San Fran and I don't want to write off Barron already but he hasn't lived up to his draft slot yet.

Their LB corps are solid, David is a monster. I remember bosox saying Foster is a good tackler, which couldn't be farther from the case. He's one of the worst tackling MLB's in the league, if not the worst. 21 missed tackles, which led the league. 5.4 attempted tackles per missed tackle, which also led the league. Also remember bosox saying Jonathan Casillas is a good coverage LB. Trust me, that is a complete myth. He was in New Orleans for all those years and not only is he a injury waiting to happen, but he's not good in coverage either. I don't know if it's the fact that he's a converted safety or what, but it's just not true. Again, no depth.

Then if you look at their front four, McCoy is a very good player. But Adrian Clayborn is a question mark, he missed nearly the entire 2012 season and was horrible last season. Akeem Spence is meh, and Michael Johnson is solid but won't set the line on fire.

I don't know. I'm very familiar with these players after watching them for so long and I think you are caught up in the idea more than the actual reality. They have nice building blocks, but they aren't there yet.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
TiTAN said:
Nola, is Champ expected to actually start? ESPN has him 1st on their (obviously) unofficial depth chart. Didn't think he'd start over White..
He wasn't going with the starters in mini-camp. Who knows though. We have options next to Keenan.

TTN2810

Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
Aside from Seattle I've just yet to see any defense that has the ability to stop the Saints offense twice during the season, and I don't think Tampa will be anywhere near Seattle. With Sean Payton we've never really had trouble scoring against Lovie Smith led defenses, something like 26 points a game I think.

I'm just not nearly as impressed with Tampa as you are. I know you like Verner, but they don't have much depth behind him. Their safeties don't worry me. We've always picked on Goldson, even when he was with San Fran and I don't want to write off Barron already but he hasn't lived up to his draft slot yet.

Their LB corps are solid, David is a monster. I remember bosox saying Foster is a good tackler, which couldn't be farther from the case. He's one of the worst tackling MLB's in the league, if not the worst. 21 missed tackles, which led the league. 5.4 attempted tackles per missed tackle, which also led the league. Also remember bosox saying Jonathan Casillas is a good coverage LB. Trust me, that is a complete myth. He was in New Orleans for all those years and not only is he a injury waiting to happen, but he's not good in coverage either. I don't know if it's the fact that he's a converted safety or what, but it's just not true. Again, no depth.

Then if you look at their front four, McCoy is a very good player. But Adrian Clayborn is a question mark, he missed nearly the entire 2012 season and was horrible last season. Akeem Spence is meh, and Michael Johnson is solid but won't set the line on fire.

I don't know. I'm very familiar with these players after watching them for so long and I think you are caught up in the idea more than the actual reality. They have nice building blocks, but they aren't there yet.
I agree with most everything here. I think you're underestimating Johnson a bit.

The Saints do have a very good team on paper. There's something to be said for the way a team plays together though. The guys the Bucs have compliment each other very nicely. 

As for Verner, for the scheme, he's top 3. Believe me, like you've watched your guys, I've seen Verner and he's an absolute zone CB stud. As for not much depth behind him, I disagree. Banks should take a huge step forward in this scheme as well. Great fit, I expect big things from him. Johnson is a fine nickel. 

As much as I like their D, their O should kill as well. I don't know that any of the NFC S D's will be able to handle Jackson/Evans/ASJ. Conincidentally, I think the Bucs D itself is the best fit to stop it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%