Which teams will surprise and disappoint?

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
The Celtics are the 2nd best team in the East but they won't finish that high just because it doesn't matter to them. Plus they ALWAYS get hurt. All that matters for them is the playoffs so it's not a big deal.

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
Honestly i don't really know what to expect from the Nets (I think nobody can really be sure about that team at this point). They could either be really good, motivated to play in the new arena (in front of a lot more fans than last year, that alone could bring them a couple of W's) and Deron might wanna prove why he can be the #1 PG in the league.

Or they could be pretty bad, especially on defense. Plus literally everybody on that team just got paid, they might just go into chill mode.

It depends on WIlliams imo. If they dude lives up again to the talent that he is and steps it up defensively, I don't think a 3rd or 4th seed is that far fetched.
I agree with everything besides us being bad on D. Joe Johnson, GForce, DWill, and Hump are all excellent defenders. I would be shocked if we sucked on D. I can see us being lazy on offense though... constantly running iso's with players just standing around and watching. Too many players on this team have a "laid back" personality.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
gerald gets laid back and joe likes to burn clock but id probably say this is tje best team jj has been on so he may not do that. jj and deron could work so well with each other, it honestly could be scary.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
IDK if I posted it yet. But I really like the Kings to make a push for the playoffs. Don't think they will make it, but I think they will have a pretty decent season.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
The Celtics are the 2nd best team in the East but they won't finish that high just because it doesn't matter to them. Plus they ALWAYS get hurt. All that matters for them is the playoffs so it's not a big deal.
I can see that, because that is true, Doc likes to get us hot right at the end of the season/during the playoffs.

As for the injuries, I feel our depth this year can make a difference when someone gets injured.

Outside Garnett, we can replace almost any position (obviously not as well but thats why those guys start and the guys and the bench dont)

Bass -> Sullinger
Pierce -> Jeff Green
Lee/Rondo -> Terry/Bradley

Darko is a decent enough of a shot blocker (actually has performed quite well in the preseason). Wilcox has a high motor and is a good rebounder. Barbosa, when Bradley is out, is a very good #4/5 G on the team. Decent shooter, very quick. and then you have either Fab Melo or Kris Joesph, either of which can provide some defense. Celtics scouts call Joseph a mini-Jeff Green, which is good. And Melo has a decent range and good defense.

I like this Celtics team a lot for this season, and the most since 2009-10. As long as Rondo plays similarly to how he did versus Miami, and KG/Pierce hit their shots, I think we'll be fine. Bass is a good shooter, Lee will get a lot of looks as the #5 option on offense (his greatest skill is driving to the basket from the key, which is good since Pierce can't do that as effectively anymore) and Green, Sully, and Terry off the bench is deadly in terms of bench skill.

We aren't a regular season team like you said, but I'd still watch out for them. They're a lot closer to Miami than people give them credit for.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Rondo is not going to play a full season the way he did against Miami, it's not going to happen.

Getting 20/11/7 would mean scoring 6 more PPG than his previous career high and 3 more RPG and being the second best player in the league, which he isn't.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Rondo only plays well in games on national television.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Rondo is not going to play a full season the way he did against Miami, it's not going to happen.

Getting 20/11/7 would mean scoring 6 more PPG than his previous career high and 3 more RPG and being the second best player in the league, which he isn't.
I obviously didn't mean exact numbers

I meant playing aggressively, hitting his jumpers, etc

I meant more like 16/11/5, which is definitely attainable if he is aggressive like he was vs MIA

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
The Lakers and Thunder are without question the most talented teams in the West, and 99 percent of folks making NBA predictions are picking LA or Oklahoma City to emerge from the conference and reach the NBA Finals. Basketball Prospectus is the 1 percent. In NBA previews for ESPN, BP picked the Nuggets to finish 1st in the West. (That’s one way to get everyone to pay attention to your NBA predictions.)

During a TNT preseason game last night, announcer Kevin Harlan brought up said prediction, and this is what analyst Reggie Miller had to say:

“Lab geek rats that are somewhere with their pocket squares on their little laptop computer, punching numbers … those things don’t play basketball games for you! Humans play basketball for you! Those geeks, I’m telling you, never played a game in their life!”​

DeMar DeRozan nods in agreement.

As for the Nuggets … Andy Glocker calls them the Knuggets because of the trade that shipped Carmelo Anthony to New York and netted Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari and Timofey Mozgov, among others. Of course I’m rooting for them!

Devoid of a “take over” scorer, but stern on defense and full of impressive athletes, I think they’ll be somewhere in the 3-4-5 range in the West (which is what I said when Denver made the summer trade to land Iggy). Iguodala is the ideal “stopper” for Kobe and Durant in the Playoffs, and the McGee/Faried combo might actually be able to hold its own against Howard/Gasol. Best part? If you look at the Lakers, Thunder, Clippers and Nuggets, who has the best coach out of that quartet? George Karl, no doubt.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
ive been saying george karl is the x-factor for that team. the coaching staff is what stands them apart from the west.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%