Which Pitcher Would You Want Starting a Game 7?

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
If you could pick any pitcher in MLB history to start Game 7 who would it be and why?

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
Randy Johnson to start it and Mo Rivera to close it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

brett05

Reaction score
Nolan Ryan. He was the most feared pitcher in my life time. He hardly allowed a hit which helped him mitigate his high walk totals. He could walk the bases loaded and then strikeout the next three batters. No need for a closer with him on the mound. My second choice would be Jack Morris who is Mr. Game 7. My third would be Pedro Martinez.

Nonsense

Reaction score
Allen said:
Randy Johnson to start it and Mo Rivera to close it.

That worked out well in '01.....

I kid, but Randy is a great choice, although Schilling did and excellent job in Game 7, only to have Randy close it out lol.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Clayton Kershaw, still go with best pitcher in the league.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Clayton Kershaw, still go with best pitcher in the league.
Even though he is so good in the playoffs? Haha.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
Nonsense said:
That worked out well in '01.....

I kid, but Randy is a great choice, although Schilling did and excellent job in Game 7, only to have Randy close it out lol.
Hey there woah there! True facts though, I just enjoy that dominant tandem.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Allen said:

You can't just say he's not great in the playoffs because of a small sample size, much of which is misleading by the way.

I mean, with your philosophy we wasted money on Price because he won't get us a WS since he pitches bad in the postseason. That's poor thinking. You go with the proven best stats, not chance.

Someone mentioned Schilling though. I might consider him. That guy is phenomenal (but even he had some bad postseason starts).

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Tough. I guess either Randy or Maddux. Can't go wrong with either of those guys.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
You can't just say he's not great in the playoffs because of a small sample size, much of which is misleading by the way.

I mean, with your philosophy we wasted money on Price because he won't get us a WS since he pitches bad in the postseason. That's poor thinking. You go with the proven best stats, not chance.

Someone mentioned Schilling though. I might consider him. That guy is phenomenal (but even he had some bad postseason starts).
I was more pulling your leg, don't be too uptight :) Kershaw is one of the best, playoffs he just seems to choke at times.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:

didn't realize 64 innings was a small sample size. Not many pitchers get that many innings in the playoffs, and in those 64 innings he's got an ERA over 4.5. So yea, Game 7 with the series on the line, I can understand why somebody would question putting him on the mound.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Randy Johnson pitched in 11 series (8 years), Kershaw 7 (5 years).

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
GMF said:
didn't realize 64 innings was a small sample size. Not many pitchers get that many innings in the playoffs, and in those 64 innings he's got an ERA over 4.5. So yea, Game 7 with the series on the line, I can understand why somebody would question putting him on the mound.
My point is you'd overwrite a whole career just because of 64 innings in the postseason? That makes little sense. Sometimes its not just the timing.

If that's the case, we're screwed that we signed David Price.

And just so you know, I was only picking current players. I only mentioned Schilling because he was brought up, but I was only picking players that are currently playing.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Today, I would not trust either of them.

We're not talking about their careers, we're talking about your faith in them in a postseason game. So we use their postseason #s. We do the same thing with QBs in the NFL.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jack Morris plucked out of 1991

Hopesfail

Reaction score
Allen said:

If they didn't allow him to throw so many innings toward the end of the year it would probably be a different story. Not to mention Don Mattingly couldn't run a bullpen to save his damn life.

Hopesfail

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
My point is you'd overwrite a whole career just because of 64 innings in the postseason? That makes little sense. Sometimes its not just the timing.

If that's the case, we're screwed that we signed David Price.

And just so you know, I was only picking current players. I only mentioned Schilling because he was brought up, but I was only picking players that are currently playing.
Similar to MadBum, he had that one postseason where he was untouchable, and people want to act like he is the greastest pitcher of all time. Yea he had a good postseason, but look at his body of work as a whole. He's a career over 3 ERA pitcher, and never had a truly dominating long length of time. He got torched in 2012 in the NLDS and NLCS, but pitched well in the WS. I would take a guy like Kershaw, Koufax, Pedro, etc that were stellar for extended lengths of time, and a guy who has been pretty good for the most part.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
I may actually change my vote to Pedro Martinez, probably the best pitcher of all time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%