What's Wrong With Ryan Grant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What's wrong with Ryan Grant? The Packers running back ran for 929 yards in the last 10 regular season games of 2007, but has only amassed 186 rushing yards on 55 attempts (3.4 avg.) this season, and has yet to score a rushing touchdown. "He doesn't look like the same player this year," said a long-time NFL defensive coach. "Defensive coordinators have spent time studying his tendencies over the offseason, and he hasn't responded to the way that defenses have adjusted to his game." Although Grant had a solid performance in the season opener against the Vikings (12 carries for 92 yards), he averaged a measly 31.3 yards per game in the past three games, and only mustered 2.2 yards per attempt during the same span. Some league observers wonder if his decline is directly tied to Brett Favre's departure. With the future Hall of Famer Favre under center, defenses were reluctant to commit eight defenders to the running game for fear of leaving their cornerbacks vulnerable in man coverage. Thus, the Packers were never outmanned in the running game, and Grant was able to find huge seams between the tackles. However, with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, defenses are stacking extra defenders at the line and daring the Packers to beat them with the pass.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He caught teams off guard last year. I never thought he was that good, once he got shut down in the NFC championship, it was obvious he wasnt going to be a top tier RB in the NFL.

K.G

Reaction score
He probably still has time to adjust. Thats what seperates top tier running backs from average, they adjust and show that their skills are not flukes. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns it around and becomes a good (not great) back. Then again, I wouldnt be surprised if last year was a fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%