What do the T-Wolves need to improve upon to take the next step?

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We had the beginnings of a decent little discussion talking about the T-Wolves, and I was hoping we could dive into it a little deeper here.

I've always said that differential is actually a decent judge of how good a team really is. So I was wondering how a team like the Wolves, who had the tenth best differential in the league finished tenth in their own conference.

First thing I looked at was obviously the make up of the roster. Ricky Rubio, Kevin Martin, Corey Brewer, Kevin Love, Nikola Pekovic, and their bench guys like Barea, Budinger, Cunningham, Turiaf, etc. I first thought of Kevin Love, and thought about his averages, but how his averages may be better than the actual player he is, and as a result I thought to myself he was likely a "star" or even "superstar" that probably was not very effective in crunch time. That led me to assuming the Wolves themselves couldn't be very good in crunch time and I was right.

In games decided by three or less points, they had a losing record. Of the top 20 teams in the league, only New York, Phoenix, Washington, and Toronto were worse. Kevin Loves impact also took a nose dive in crunch time. His field goal percentage dropped 8%, his three point percentage dropped 2%, his free throw percentage dropped 14%, and most surprisingly his rebound numbers even fell off a cliff. He goes from an elite big man rebounder to an elite level swing rebounder, and hint hint a elite level swing rebounder is the equivalent of a well below average big man rebounder. Is it a conditioning issue? Who knows. But it brings me back to the "Love isn't as good as his averages" statement. He's not a guy that's going to close games for you.

Minnesota likes to isolate him at the elbow or in the short corner, but he's not an efficient option. He settles for a lot of jumpers, but shoots only 34.6% on those jumpers. Same goes for his turnarounds, step backs, etc. Minny posts him up more than anything else they do with him, and he's a solid post option, but he's still not good enough to be a great post option. His percentages could be higher in the post, though he does draw a solid number of shooting fouls. Then what else does he have? He is not an efficient pick and pop player, shooting 44% from the field and only 28% on his threes when he pops. He's more of a team offensive player. He's actually very good in transition, shooting 49% from distance and 61% in general. He's actually not an elite offensive rebounder, he's just average, but when he does pull down an offensive board he's very effective at putting it back. He's also one of the best cutters in the league. So iso, post up, p&p? Could be better. Transition, put backs, cutting, I guess some people like to call that garbage or easy buckets, he's brilliant.

And lastly that brings me back to the team. It's crunch time, defense and intensity grows, if Kevin Love isn't an effective option to get you a bucket, who is? First guess would probably be Kevin Martin. But he is not the young Kevin Martin anymore. He's a sub 40% isolation player. He's a sub 30% PnR player. He's a 35% spot up shooter. Get the point? Do you want Ricky Rubio trying to score for you? Corey Brewer? Nikola Pekovic? Again, sure you get the point. There is no one that team can count on. Back to how Minny plays in crunch time, they own the second worst point differential in the league at -2.2, only Milwaukee was worse at -2.4 points. They are 22nd offensively and the leagues worst defensively. Which is also puzzling, as they are average defensively.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They need better talent

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Move to the Eastern Conference

Boda

PSN = HitmanCapone
Reaction score
Minnesota needs to try to move Pekovic & Budinger. 

It seems that the Wolves could have a good young big man in Dieng and he needs time to develop not to mention he is a good defender.  I'm not sure who's all available but IMO we need to look for another SG.  Martin I feel is better suited for a 6th man role.

As for moving Budinger is because I feel like Brewer is a better fit here, he is the better defensive player and we need to make room to get Muhammad some minutes.  Right now there is just too much of a cluster fuck at the 3.

These are a few things I would like to see happen:

sign SG - Lance Stephenson
sign PF/C - Pau Gasol
trade Pek and Budinger

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And how do you propose the Timberwolves sign two free agents who will command 10 mill annually a piece with, with no cap space?

Boda

PSN = HitmanCapone
Reaction score
elcheato said:
And how do you propose the Timberwolves sign two free agents who will command 10 mill annually a piece with, with no cap space?
There will be cap space especially if the Wolves can move both Budinger & Pekovic.  But without that they should still be able to afford atleast one of the two.  The Wolves biggest issue is getting a coach who will not only preach Defense but make the team accountable for not playing D.   

There is also an offhanded chance that Pau Gasol signs for the MLE(highly doubtful though)

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Your theory requires the Timberwolves to trade them to a team who has cap space to absorb all of their contracts, because right now the Timberwolves are over the cap, and thus can only offer the Mid-Level Exception. Can't afford either player.

If Pau settled for the MLE, he sure as hell wouldn't settle with the Wolves. Just about any team would offer him the MLE.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Boda said:
Minnesota needs to try to move Pekovic & Budinger. 

It seems that the Wolves could have a good young big man in Dieng and he needs time to develop not to mention he is a good defender.  I'm not sure who's all available but IMO we need to look for another SG.  Martin I feel is better suited for a 6th man role.

As for moving Budinger is because I feel like Brewer is a better fit here, he is the better defensive player and we need to make room to get Muhammad some minutes.  Right now there is just too much of a cluster fuck at the 3.

These are a few things I would like to see happen:

sign SG - Lance Stephenson
sign PF/C - Pau Gasol
trade Pek and Budinger
I agree about moving Pekovic. Individually, I like both he and Kevin Love alot, but they just don't play enough together. Move Pekovic and maybe find a little more reliable partner next to Love. Love and Kevin Martin were also not a good pairing, when they were on the floor together.

As for Pau Gasol, off topic, but I have the feeling he goes to Dallas this offseason.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Depending on what the Cavs do, Varejao could be become a free agent (non guaranteed contract). I think he's a good fit next to Love.

Boda

PSN = HitmanCapone
Reaction score
elcheato said:
Your theory requires the Timberwolves to trade them to a team who has cap space to absorb all of their contracts, because right now the Timberwolves are over the cap, and thus can only offer the Mid-Level Exception. Can't afford either player.

If Pau settled for the MLE, he sure as hell wouldn't settle with the Wolves. Just about any team would offer him the MLE.
The Salary Cap is expected to go up by 5M or so.  Not to mention everyone seems to keep ignoring the fact that I said trade Pek & Budinger which would free up something close to 16M in cap space add in the 5M that it's expected to go up and the other contracts coming off the books.

I mean I'm not a cap expert by any means but we should be able to make some moves if we can move Pekovic & Budinger.  As for Pau, not sure why he wouldn't consider Minnesota if he leaves LA.  He is supposed to have a good relationship with Rubio, he has the chance to start especially if the Wolves did move on from Pekovic & if the Wolves did acquire him it'd give them insurance for if Love does leave, granted it wouldn't be a long term solution.  I think the Wolves can be a playoff team next season if they stay healthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%