WalterFootball First Round Grades

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
 1. Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan: C+ Grade
An offensive tackle is what makes sense most for the Chiefs. Branden Albert was franchised, so he probably won't be around in 2014. He may not even make it to training camp because he could be dealt to the Dolphins, per reports. Luke Joeckel was the consensus top tackle in the 2013 NFL Draft, so he would have been the right pick. Eric Fisher has been considered the lesser prospect throughout, but Andy Reid liked him more than Joeckel. They're both close in talent, but selecting a rising prospect based on workouts is usually treacherous. Also, I'm penalizing the Chiefs because they traded for Alex Smith too soon and ruined all leverage they could have had for a potential trade. There shouldn't have been any hurry to overpay for Smith. That trade earned Kansas City a "Millen" grade, as you can see in the 2013 NFL Free Agent Grades page.

2. : Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M: D Grade
This is disastrous and embarrassing for Jacksonville. As one league contact told us, it would be "foolish" for the Jaguars to take Joeckel. Why? Because right tackle is not a valued position. Just look at the available right tackles in free agency. Andre Smith, Eric Winston and Tyson Clabo are just sitting there. The Jaguars have tons of money (about $26 million in cap space), so why not just sign one of those right tackles and select an elite pass-rusher instead? Joeckel makes zero sense, and the only thing saving this from being a "Millen" grade is that Joeckel isn't a reach.

3. Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon: B- Grade
Dion Jordan!? Wow. Everyone assumed the Dolphins would be moving up for Lane Johnson, but they shocked the world with the Oregon pass-rusher. I love Jordan as a prospect, but I don't know how he fits into Miami's defense. Do the Dolphins plan on moving to a 3-4? If so, I love this pick and will improve this grade, assuming they didn't give up too much. If not, and if Miami surrendered a ton of resources to jump up to No. 3, it'll be close to a D.

4. Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma: C Grade
This is a great scheme fit for the Eagles. Lane Johnson is the most athletic tackle in this draft, so he'll fit in well in Chip Kelly's high-tempo offense. However, Johnson is incredibly raw; he has just one year of left tackle experience and just two seasons of tackle experience period. He was considered a fringe first-round prospect a few months ago for a reason. However, there's no denying his upside, and he could eventually replace Jason Peters at left tackle.

5. Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU: B+ Grade
Finally, a good pick! I'm tired of bashing these teams. Well, OK, maybe not. But this selection makes so much sense. The Lions had a close look at Ezekiel Ansah at the Senior Bowl where he dominated the competition during the actual game. He's a great fit in Detroit's wide-nine formation, and will replace the departed Cliff Avril. He'll be instrumental in Detroit's pursuit of Green Bay in the NFC North.

6. Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU: C- Grade
I guess 2012 tape doesn't matter for the Browns. Barkevious Mingo was awful this past season and flat out quit in some games. Mingo doesn't even fill a real need unless Jabaal Sheard is dealt, which is confusing in itself because Sheard was one of the top defenders on the Browns last year. You also have to wonder what the Browns are going to do at quarterback. Michael Lombardi has a dubious draft history, and it doesn't seem like he's off to a good start.

7. Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina: D Grade
Everyone points to the Saints and their stud guards as a reason why Jonathan Cooper should have been chose No. 7 overall. Well, Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks were chosen in the fourth and fifth rounds. You can find guards anywhere, making this selection incredibly stupid. The only thing that saves this from being a Millen grade is that Cooper is one of the top players available. Still, there's no reason a guard should ever go in the top 10.

8. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia: B Grade
I'm usually not a fan of teams moving up for players because if they end up drafting a bust, their depth is completely destroyed. However, the Rams had the resources to do something like this, and they really needed to find a weapon for Sam Bradford. Tavon Austin is the only player in this draft who has plenty of experience and can go the distance on any play. He'll help Bradford, but hopefully he can stay on the field, unlike Danny Amendola.

9. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama: C+ Grade
The Jets essentially traded Darrelle Revis for Dee Milliner. I just don't get why they'd deal Revis to just take another cornerback when they have two corners on the roster (Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson) who proved themselves to be capable starters after Revis went down. Milliner had just six interceptions in his college career. He also was never asked to backpedal. Alabama cornerbacks have a history of busting in the NFL, so the Jets better hope that Milliner doesn't continue that tradition.

10. Chance Warmack, G, Alabama: C Grade
It's one thing to draft Jonathan Cooper in the top 10 because he can play center as well as guard. It's another to go with Chance Warmack, who can't be anywhere but guard. Once again, this is way too early to select a guard, but I'm not giving the Titans as poor of a grade as the Cardinals because they didn't have much of a choice. The front office needed to do something to help Jake Locker and Chris Johnson in order to keep their jobs, and Warmack is the best offensive talent on the board. It would have been nice if Tennessee could have traded down, but that may not have been possible.

11. D.J. Fluker, OT/G, Alabama: B- Grade
This pick is a difficult one to grade. Unlike his teammate Chance Warmack, D.J. Fluker can play tackle, giving him a bit more positional value. However, he can only line up on the right side if he's on the outside, meaning San Diego still has a big hole at left tackle. The thing is that San Diego almost had to go offensive line, and with the top tackles off the board, Fluker was the next-best option.

12. D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston: C Grade
I was prepared to give the Raiders a "Millen" grade had they drafted D.J. Hayden at No. 3, as some reports indicated they would. This isn't so bad. Hayden is a big injury risk, so I don't know how he can possibly go so early. I do like that Oakland picked up a second-round though, which was essential given the lack of talent on the roster. I just don't know how the Raiders can justify passing on Sharrif Floyd and Star Lotulelei.

13. Sheldon Richardson, DE/DT, Missouri: B Grade
Wow, Sheldon Richardson before Sharrif Floyd and Star Lotulelei? Many will bash this selection, I'm sure, but I don't mind it. Sheldon Richardson is the top interior pass-rusher who fits the 4-3 and 3-4 - which is key for New York because Rex Ryan loves to use both looks. I'm not sure why Richardson wasn't considered a higher-rated prospect. The Jets had to bolster their pass-rush, and they did just that with Richardson.

14. Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah: A Grade
I think Sharrif Floyd would have been a better pick because A) he's a superior pass-rusher and B) he doesn't have any sort of health concerns. But this is still a great pick for the Panthers because they needed tons of help on the interior of their defensive line. Star Lotulelei would have gone in the top 10 if smarter teams were drafting there, so Carolina is reaping the benefits, much like other smarter teams will in the second half of the draft.

15. Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas: A- Grade
This is a very good pick by a smart team. The Saints had major issues at safety, and Kenny Vaccaro is one of the top players available. With Matt Ryan and Cam Newton in the division, New Orleans absolutely had to upgrade its secondary. Malcolm Jenkins and Roman Harper weren't cutting it.

16. E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State: MILLEN UNCLE RUSLAN'S LOSER KIELBASA Grade
Only the Bills. With Geno Smith available, as well as Ryan Nassib, the head coach's former quarterback, Buffalo, for whatever reason, chose E.J. Manuel. I guess the only tape of Manuel's that Buddy Nix watched was the Senior Bowl. There's no reason why Manuel should have been chosen No. 16, especially with the other quarterbacks remaining. Manuel is extremely raw and doesn't have the same decision-making skills as the other signal-callers. He was terribly inconsistent throughout his career. He does project as a read-option quarterback, but he's nowhere near as skilled as Colin Kaepernick or Russell Wilson.

17. Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia: A+ Grade
This is why the same group of teams make the playoffs every year and why another group of teams always draft in the top 10. One selection after the Bills chose the No. 4 quarterback in this class, the Steelers nabbed arguably the top pass-rusher. As mentioned in my mock draft, dumb groupthink would cause Jones to fall. Pittsburgh landed a steal.

18. Eric Reid, S, LSU: C- Grade
The 49ers moved up for... Eric Reid? Why? This safety class was incredibly loaded. I'm sure one of Reid, Matt Elam or Jonathan Cyprien would have been available at No. 31. Reid had issues covering last year, so this pick is highly questionable - especially considering that San Francisco moved up for the LSU product.

19. Justin Pugh, OT/G: C+ Grade
The good news is that Justin Pugh can pretty much play anywhere on the offensive line. The bad news is that Justin Pugh is a reach at No. 19. It's unlike the Giants to make a pick like this. It'd be one thing if they were desperate for a left tackle, but they just re-signed William Beatty to a long-term deal. Pugh can play right tackle, and he would probably be an upgrade over David Diehl. Still, there were better options available.

20. Kyle Long, G, Oregon: D Grade
Well... at least this fills... a need... Umm... I'm kind of speechless right now. With Tyler Eifert and stud defenders like Desmond Trufant and Sylvester Williams available, the Bears decided to take an inexperienced second-round guard. Long may have been around for Chicago's next selection, so this pick is extremely questionable.

21. Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame: B+ Grade
This is the ultimate "BPA vs. need" argument. The Bengals didn't have a hole at tight end with Jermaine Gresham there, but Tyler Eifert was definitely the top prospect available. Besides, teams like to use two-tight end sets, and it's not like Gresham is setting the world on fire with his receiving ability. Andy Dalton has limited arm strength, so he'll lean on Eifert quite frequently.

22. Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington: B+ Grade
I like Desmond Trufant a lot. I mocked him to the Falcons quite frequently at No. 30, but I guess Atlanta felt like he wouldn't fall to them. Moving up eight spots to land him is definitely acceptable. Trufant should be an instant starter across from Asante Samuel, as he fills a huge need.

23. Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida: A+ Grade
Wow, I forgot Sharrif Floyd was available. I feel like some of the other teams like the Bears, Giants and Cowboys did as well. This is the best pick in the 2013 NFL Draft thus far. Floyd is a stud interior pass-rusher who could have easily gone No. 3 to the Raiders. But as we see every year, great prospects fall because dumb teams are picking at the top of the draft.

24. Bjoern Werner, DE/OLB, Florida State: C+ Grade
Many see Bjoern Werner as a 4-3 left end, but the Colts apparently don't agree with that. I have to wonder about this scheme fit, but there's no denying that Bjoern Werner is one of the top players available. It'll be interesting to see how Werner fits into this defense.

25. Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State: B Grade
Xavier Rhodes was mocked as early as No. 12 throughout this process, so he definitely provides good value at No. 25. However, the Vikings run the type of defense that allows teams to pass on corners in the first round. Minnesota probably should have filled other needs like receiver. That said, this is still a solid selection because Rhodes could be considered the best player available.

26. Datone Jones, DE/DT, UCLA: A- Grade
Datone Jones has been discussed as high as No. 19 to the Giants, so the Packers are getting good value with Datone Jones. They're also getting a tremendous upgrade on the defensive line. Green Bay was completely obliterated by Colin Kaepernick, so the team needed to find players to help them stop the read option. Jones is a great fit, as Ted Thompson continues to be one of the better drafters in the NFL.

27. DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson: A Grade
Charlie and I were told the Texans would draft Justin Hunter - but only if DeAndre Hopkins was off the board. Hopkins was discussed to be a candidate for No. 14 overall to the Panthers, so we figured that he wouldn't be available. Well, the Texans lucked out and got their man. Hopkins is a sound, pro-ready receiver who should be able to step in immediately as the starter across from Andre Johnson.

28. Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina: A Grade
It was either Sylvester Williams or Tank Carradine here for the Broncos, and you can't argue either choice. Help was needed all over on the defensive line for the Broncos, and Williams was discussed as highly as No. 18 to the Cowboys. Denver didn't have an interior pass rush, so Williams definitely helps in that area.

29. Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee: B- Grade
The 29th and 52nd choices are swapped between Minnesota and New England, so the Vikings are essentially giving up third- and fourth-rounders for this choice. They better make it count, so why not go for the home run with Cordarrelle Patterson? Minnesota desperately needed receiving help after losing Percy Harvin. Patterson is raw - which is why he dropped to No. 29 - but he has so much potential. The problem is that the Vikings don't have a quarterback to get him the football.

30. Alec Ogletree, OLB, Georgia: A Grade
This is awesome work by the Rams. They would have considered Alec Ogletree at No. 16 if they couldn't move up (for Tavon Austin) or down to pick up some selections. St. Louis gambled and still got its man. The reason Ogletree fell is because of character concerns, but the Rams have shown that they don't care about that. Ogletree is extremely talented and will be a huge asset on the defense if he can stay out of trouble.

31. Travis Frederick, G/C, Wisconsin: MILLEN HIGH-PRICED SCOREBOARD THAT MAKES PEOPLE BLIND KIELBASA Grade
Travis Frederick!?!? The Wisconsin lineman who was considered a third-round prospect? There were other reaches in the first round, but this takes the cake. It seems like the Cowboys panicked with all of the guards flying off the board, which is the worst thing you can ever do in the NFL Draft. It's never been more obvious that Dallas needs a real general manager.

32. Matt Elam, S, Florida: B+ Grade
Patient Ozzie Newsome gets his way again. He was targeting Matt Elam among other prospects and got his man without panicking. Elam fills a big need at safety across from Michael Huff. He also fits the range and could have gone a bit earlier than this.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't get how Joeckel could get anything lower than a B+.  First of all, Monroe is in a contract year, so there's a good chance they lose him.  Second of all, Monroe isn't that great of a tackle anyways.  With all the crap the Jags have been through in recent years in regards to the draft, I think it's best that they go after the best available talent, rather than outsmarting themselves with guys like fucking Alualu in the top 10.

Joeckel was the safest pick, and maybe the best overall player in the draft.

Steez

Reaction score
Fuck 'em. 

EJ Manuel the Saviour.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Sheldon Richardson was a great pick too. Best 3-4 end in this draft class imo

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
EJ Manuel is going to be a stud.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Sheldon Richardson was a great pick too. Best 3-4 end in this draft class imo
So that would make him a great backup behind Coples and Wilkerson then?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Yeah Coples had question about strength last year as a DE, no way he is playing 3-4 end. 

He projected better as an OLB as well.

Richardson-Ellis-Wilkerson
Coples-Harris-Davis-Pace

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%